1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

80" TVs

Discussion in 'General' started by moregsxrs, Mar 2, 2016.

Tags:
  1. moregsxrs

moregsxrs Well-Known Member

Any advice on 80" TVs? Trying to avoid the "Soap Opera" looking picture, if that makes sense.

Thanks!

2. Woofentino Pugr

Woofentino Pugr Well-Known Member

Just sit closer to a smaller one. Same effect. :)

When we got out 27" back in the early 80's it was WOW. Who the fuck would had thought we'd have 100+" TV's now and 60" would be considered "normal".

Canadian Bacon likes this.
  3. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

We've discussed the "soap opera" effect at length in other posts. Its a setting that you can turn on and off. Not something you are stuck with having to use with a particular brand.

http://hometheaterreview.com/what-is-soap-opera-effect-and-how-to-make-it-go-away/

I have this in the 65" version and quite happy with it. The 80 incher I'm sure is pretty impressive looking. I got the 65" for $1500 back in July. I'm sure if you shop around you can find the 80" for decently cheaper than it's listed on their site. The M-series Vizio's are all pretty highly rated peformance/price.

http://www.vizio.com/m80c3.html

4. Smilodon

Smilodon Wannabe

Well, it wasn't all that great, but Knight Rider and Magnum P.I. were fun... Oh, I thought you said "80's TV"...:p

5. BHP41

BHP41 Calling out B.A.N. everyday

I've always liked Sonys picture. I dislike Samsungs. They tend to be over saturated and too glossy. While I'm sure the over saturation is a setup issue. Sonys matte screens reduce glare. They have been the best for me out of the box. I don't like messing around with setting it up. Other things to do than spend hours learning how to set up a tv.

6. oilslinger

oilslinger Well-Known Member

I thought the same thing at first and had a nice little paragraph typed out about watching Family Ties last night lol

7. BigBird

BigBird blah

My current 60" is pretty big already, and I think 80" of glass/plastic whatever is a bit much.

My next "TV" will be a projector.

8. cortezmachine

cortezmachine Banned

My new house in the burbs has a theatre room with a badass surround sound system built into the front and back walls.... All bout dat projector lyfe now son!

[​IMG]

BigBird likes this.
  9. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

I have a couple 20 footers here in the shop.

10. Skter505

Skter505 Well-Known Member

Went with a projector last year can never go back. 120" screen and I have a little over $1k into it.

11. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

My gal got us a 65'' 4K tv for christmas this year.

The picture is so damn good you can't believe it sometimes.

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Same here - well, we're right at 100" because it fits the room better and went through projecting on the wall then a cheal vinyl screen to now a good screen. Can't see going to a regular tv again even with having to replace bulbs.

13. kman0066

kman0066 Well-Known Member

We do the DLP projector to 100" as well. Never replaced the bulb yet (going on 8 years use). I just reset the bulb timer each time it says change and blow dust out of it with a can duster. Already have more than double expected life.

The room does have to be dim though for good viewing unlike regular tv. So great for a basement room, but maybe not a living room.

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

A new bulb will make a huge difference in brightness if need be. It's truly noticeable with the really old ones. I've had one bulb blow so it had to be replaced, the next one has something like 5500 hours on it and is my backup (replaced at 4500 hours and been back in a few times when others break). The others have been cheap rebuilds of which two have caused error messages with the projector so they just stop working. Current rebuild is at 5-600 hours and going strong. For $40 instead of a few hundred it's not really a big deal to replace them more often.

15. brex

brex Well-Known Member

I thought you were never moving to the burbs, just staying in that downtown warehouse loft?

16. cortezmachine

cortezmachine Banned

Got a woman with a kid now. Need to make them comfortable. I prefer living in the city but you know how it is....

Fuck I'm a sell out

crashman likes this.
  17. Rising

Rising Well-Known Member

Don't forget CHiPs! Fall Guy was one of my favorites too.

cpettit likes this.
  18. BigBird

BigBird blah

just quoting this...so you know that we know that you know

19. Potts N Pans

Potts N Pans Well-Known Member

Well, if you sift through the Qatar thread...you will learn something that is 60 inches is quite average...even if the picture is on the best brand. :)

20. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

What projector did you buy? I'm looking to go with a 120" for my basement but get dizzy researching all the damn projectors!