1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8 point torx bit?

Discussion in 'General' started by Cannoli, Apr 3, 2009.

1. Cannoli

Cannoli Typical Uccio

I'm doing some work on my trailer and came across a screw that looks like a torx head but has 8 points instead of 6. I've checked a few local shops for the bit but have had no luck. What is this bit called and who sells it?

2. Phat Chance

Phat Chance Silence, I kill you!

It takes a SQUARE drive bit

3. Phat Chance

Most trailers use a bit that is called and "S2" it means Square #2 size

4. Smokes35

Smokes35 Well-Known Member

awwwwwwww, thats cool! so when i round off the first 4 corners, i have a 2nd chance with the other 4

5. caferace

caferace No.

It's called a "bit you replace with something normal". :D

-jim

6. Captain Squid

Captain Squid Well-Known Member

:crackup: That's a damn good point!!!:D

7. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

Then it will be called a "tamper proof fastener" that assures security of the item it is fastening. :D

8. pefrey

pefrey Well-Known Member

Not that this helps, but I know that a 12 point torx bit is called "triple square".

9. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

The math works out. :D

10. TEAMLIKETYSPLIT

TEAMLIKETYSPLIT In Limbo

Don't loosen that one cannoli!!!! It keeps the flux capaciter in......well......flux.

11. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

Yeah I emailed the maker of my trailer and learned about the square drive #2 bit. Said it was faster in the factory to use the 12 pointed screw or the triple square. Pretty cool.

12. Cannoli

Cannoli Typical Uccio

The square bit worked perfectly!! Thank you

13. Phat Chance

And you doubted me????:crackhead:

14. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

I have the manual version and a bit for my drill.

Good times

15. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

Doesn't avionics have such screws? I'll dble check but I have such screwdrivers and they use the same color handle code sizes, Black, Red, Green (#3, #2, #1) as the Robertson (actual name of square).

They were indirectly given to me from airplane engine mechanic.

16. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

I picked up th ebit for y drill at lowes. They aren't to hard to come by.

17. stalemate27

stalemate27 Banned

the bits might not be , but spelling class was :Poke: ... i have those bits in my tool box at work and have always wondered WTF they were for , i work on cars (collision) and have NEVER seen that style bolt/screw/whatever

18. SLLaffoon

SLLaffoon Well-Known Member

My A4 has them on the halfshafts and the flywheel. I had never seen them before then.

19. Dezmo

Dezmo addicted to the trackpipe

Ive seen this repeated thru the years several times now:

manufacturer of a product decides they dont want the consumer taking it apart, so they use oddball fasteners or come up with a completely new fastener, since very few ppl (if anybody) will have the proper tool to remove it.

So then Snapon, Matco, MAC, etc step up and start making tools to fit. The consumers go right on taking stuff apart they probably shouldnt, and the manu comes up with yet another oddball fastener style...

20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

The square bit deal has been around for as long as I've had enclosed trailers. Not exactly new.