1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

72 Norton Commando

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by pawpawrc, May 7, 2018.

1. pawpawrc

pawpawrc Well-Known Member

Hey guys- a guy I know has a 72 Commando 750 in his garage in decent shape that he’d like to sell or trade. I can get pics and detailed info but from a cursory look over it’s not bad at all! In Orange Park Fl, just looking to see if anyone here would be interested.

2. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

$$?? or what does he want to trade for??

3. CharlieY

CharlieY Well-Known Member

I'm not interested, but I live in Jacksonville fl....the land of Stan Keyes Cyco Norton racing, also John Snead races Nortons and has a bunch of them.

I'm also a member of HMS here, historic motorcycle society.

I could put him in touch with the right people if he really wants to sell.

E-start?

Do you live in Jax Pawpaw?

4. pawpawrc

pawpawrc Well-Known Member

I live in Orange Park. The bike is at Fleming Island. It’s a kick start- kinda why he wants to be rid of it. It’s my brother-in-law’s girlfriend’s dad that owns it, I’ll have to go over there and get some pics for you guys. He has no idea what a good price would be, just kinda throwing it out there. Something somewhat similar with electric start would be what he would want to trade. Charlie, as soon as I can get up with him, PM me your # and maybe we can make something happen. It’s too nice to just sit.

5. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

Let me offer this for your consideration:

I have bought, and sold, several Nortons over the years. I have a '71 Commando which I've had since 1982.

First, I offer a word of caution on the Norton Club owners' opinions on value of unseen motorcycles in which they have no interest in purchasing. They can be somewhat like BMW owners: very proud of their particular mark. After all, they have a self-interest in keeping their values high. And, they really don't have a dog in that fight.

Second, and most importantly, nothing is worth anything until someone wants to buy it, and then, it is worth only what they will pay.

I'd like more info on the bike, and what the seller has in mind, and I'm happy to speak about my multiple Commando experiences. I'll PM you my contact info. Call any time.

Cheers,

Dave

6. CharlieY

Chill out there Mr. Esquire :) . I was merely offering to put the seller in contact with other Norton owners to see if any of them were interested. I shall cease on your behalf unless requested to continue sir.:flag:

Pawpaw, I'm in Neptune Beach. I'll PM ya, we should get together.

I was with Lockheed Martin Aeronautics for 20 yrs, did some time at NAS Jax on the S-3 program (showing my age, I know). We have some things in common. Talk soon sir.

TLR67 likes this.
  7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I'll give him tree fitty :D

8. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

Charlie -

No offense or criticism - put him in touch with whomever you think appropriate. I'm just speaking from my experience, with which you, or others, may disagree. Hence, there is no need for me to "chill" or for you to take umbrage. You don't need my approval to do anything. The more info he has, the better for him to decide what to do. You know as well as I how folks can be overly optimistic about the value of their vintage motorcycles.

Cheers,

Dave

CMRA 270 likes this.
  9. CharlieY

10-4 Dave. Good luck sir.

I do understand what you were saying....here I am a member of the ATL Norton club, but I don't own a Norton...partially due to what you were saying. I just don't want one that bad.;) ....but they seem to put up with me for entertainment value I guess.

10. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

I am interested, and currently own 4 Norton's. I might need 5.
    72 isnt as popular as its a 750cc with a drum brake front.

Please send my number 850-637-5838 I am a buyer as a "dealer" so you will sell it more to a private person. But I am a serious buyer.

11. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

I'm not a grammar nazi but for some reason this irritated the hell out of me. It's marque. :Poke::D

12. Hate McDead

Hate McDead Well-Known Member

That's right Sir Bumpalot, take it to the man. The man born to argue. Bump his ass right off the spelling bee stage.

13. Hate McDead

Hate McDead Well-Known Member

I have no interest in a Norton Commando although I own 4 Nortons
    1932Norton 633CCBig Four
    1937 Norton 350CC M30
    1938 Norton 490CC M18
    1949 Norton 500CC Manx Francis Beart Factory Racer

I have little tin pie pans under each of them. They all run but they all leak. And they are all restored.

14. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

Really? That's about the most internally contradictory statement one could make. Methinks thou dost protest too much: "I'm not . . . , but . . . . Go ahead, school me on the correct usage of the English language. Or better yet school Billy Shakespeare.

4 Nortons? I only currently own 1. Now BSA's . . . I'm well into double digits. And, yes, they all leak oil. If they aren't leaking, there's no oil in them.

Cheers,

Dave

15. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

Dear Robin -

Please allow me to further, and perhaps more appropriately respond when I'm not tired and (less) cranky.

In the USA, a "mark" can sometimes be synonymous with a "brand." That is a fairly general and non-prejudicial usage. Certainly "marque" can also be used with respect to a "brand." As users of the English language have stated:

"Marque is associated with visual style and themes-logos, established styling and badges. It's French origin means that is probably going to be in most popular usage in the South of England where French origin words are more likely to be in use than other parts of the UK which might be more influenced by Scandinavian or Gaelic words. Although it is also more widely used by people with an interest in luxury motorcars and motor racing."

"The word marque (perhaps because of its 'exotic' French origin and associations) is generally understood to be a slightly more 'upmarket' term. Asda/Walmart sell their 'own brand' products, but . . . many . . . would feel it was pretentious in the extreme if these were to be promoted as being under their marque."

See, e.g., English/Stack Exchange.com, English Language and Uses.

"For perspective, "marque" is entirely unused in the US."

I'm not from the south of England. I try not to be pretentious. I certainly was not speaking in "upmarket" or "exotic" terms of a garage find Norton Commando. I will confess that my usage of the English language in the USA has become somewhat more narrowed since moving to and residing ful time in rural Georgia. However inappropriate as that may seem to you, it really helps in communications at home. It's a bit like the tag line in one of my favorite Coon Ass jokes: "Pardon me for mis-speaking, can you tell me where the library's at, asshole."

Thanks for the correction, and thanks for allowing me to further clarify.

Cheers,

Dave

16. Robin172

I'm from the South of England so you'll see where I'm coming from my colonial friend.

17. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

Right on.

BTW - the USA has not been a "colony" for a very long time. I never resided in a British colony. I did work out of and thru Hong Kong while it was still a part of the British "empire," but that was a temporary work assignment and thus, I do not count it as a "residence." And, even Hong Kong has since departed from British territorial, colonial, or protectorate (whatever term you choose) status (1997). Thus, referring to me as a "colonial" is inappropriate, or, perhaps you would prefer, a misnomer.

Cheers,

Dave

18. Robin172

Shit stirrer.

Harry V. III likes this.
  19. Norton 357

Norton 357 Well-Known Member

Robby-BobbyWell-Known Member
    New
    I am interested, and currently own 4 Norton's. I might need 5.
    72 isnt as popular as its a 750cc with a drum brake front.

Actually '72 was the first year for disc brake. I rode a '72 Combat Commando on the street for many years.

I have to agree with Dave though about the Norton Owners thinking the bikes are maybe worth more than I would be willing to pay for one. I would like to have a project Norton to tinker with but don't want an all original bike to ride around. The footpegs alone make it a difficult ride in stock form. And the anti-lock front brake is a beast compared to modern bikes.

20. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

You're spot on with the '72 having the first year disc. My '71 is a drum, which if properly adjusted, stops at least as well as the first disc models. However, you still best have a long range perspective with respect to stops at any speed.

Since you had a Combat, can you please advise:

1. How, if at all, cosmetically can one discern a Combat from a regular model?
    2. What was the issue with the bearings (crank?) on the Combats? I seem to recall some problem as well as the mention of Superblend bearings . . . .

Cheers,

Dave