1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

6hrs at Summit Point

Discussion in 'WERA National Endurance Series' started by OreoGaborio, Jan 25, 2007.

1. benprobst

benprobst Well-Known Member

1st off CCS rules are no where near WERA rules, you only have to saftey wire fluid retaining bolts in CCS, while WERA luckily is significantly more strict. as for tips, dont worry about the slow bike, just remember you are on a slow bike and never use the whole track, dont run pole to pole leave room for one bike on your inside and 2-3 bikes on your outside. ohh and high speed flowing tracks are generally better for lightweight bikes, places like Nelson. The high speed stuff isnt where the difference between bikes is dramatic, its the exiting slow corners onto short chutes is when things get interesting. spend the absolute minimum time in the pits, be prepared to have one guy run longer than he is supposed to, its rare that a 6 hour will run without a redflag so be ready to extend or shorten stints. ohh and how big is your tank, are you sure you can make it 90 mins on a single tank?. have plenty of money along with you, dont cut any corners that weekend, as in "ahh, the tire may be shagged but we will do one more practice session on it before we put the new tire on" etc... dont crash. be prepared to change tires, you may think you dont need to, but you could cut a tire or it may rain etc... be prepared for ANYTHING.

and if you crash, crawl out onto the track, lay there until they throw the red flag and then run and pick up the bike and head back to the pits......... :D

2. daviid

daviid Well-Known Member

thanks for the info guys, we are really excited about this and cant wait

3. crshovrd

crshovrd Well-Known Member

HAHAHHAHA

4. 92excel

92excel Well-Known Member

I can't imagine the misery of racing an EX 500 in 2007. Maybe in 1988 but dude I'm with the other guy...that thing could get somebody killed. Try another bike you will have way more fun. People get pissed lapping the same bikes all the time. I'm not that way but some folks will get a little rude on track if your in the way. I don't mean just flipping the bird I mean bump...that was my spot thank you...bye bye! Most WERA dudes are very professional but they have their limits.

5. OreoGaborio

OreoGaborio Well-Known Member

I'm no slower on my EX500 than any other solid rookie on a 125GP bike, motard, SV650, or a Duc 750SS. I've passed them all in the novice ranks and even some in Amateur.

6. 92excel

92excel Well-Known Member

Well...Best
    of luck:up:

7. OreoGaborio

thanks...

And although i understand your point of view and really AM taking it into consideration, i'm not just brushing you off, but Summit Point doesn't seem to be a big "shoot & point" or HP track like Daytona. If there's people at Summit doing this race on lightweight bikes like those I've listed above, i dont think it'll be a huge problem. I've said in previous posts, i've been out on the track with plenty of big bikes before both at Loudon and VIR North & South and it's never been an issue.

If anyone else wants to bring this issue up again I'd like to see it brought it up in a way that hasn't already been presented. I don't wanna keep hearing the same thing over & over again unless you've had personal experience with lightweights doing this race that you'd like to share, either from the perspective of a rider on a lightweight, or a rider on a heavyweight having issues w/ lightweights.

If this is a race where lightweight bikes have absolutely no business participating in, i'd like to hear it, but don't say we shouldn't particpate solely on the "reputation" of the EX500, because with the right rider it's a more capable bike than most people give it credit for.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2007
  8. OreoGaborio

:D sounds like a plan :D Thanks for the info, Ben.

9. benprobst

benprobst Well-Known Member

I have experience running one endurance race on a lightweight bike, at Barber. I am also an amatuer, judging by lap times, and who I have run into at other tracks and comparing to how they did at Id place myself within the top 5 lightweight at the GNF, if I may be so bold. At Barber the fastest I ran on my motorcycle was a 1 40, wich is a fast amauter time, and a respectable expert time (probably 1.5 to 2.5 seconds outside of the top 5 expert times, wich is a fair amount) and in the endurance race I was way slower than the lightweight guys. anyway, for the race we rode the back up ss bike, and it had some problems, id guess it was down 5 hp to 65-7 or so and had the forks go bad (pogo) halfway through the race. anyway, I ran 44 - 45's while my teamate ran 41-42's, we didnt make a single true mistake throughout the race spent the minumum amount of time we could in the pits, and despite atleast an hour under redflag, we still got lapped like 4 times by the leading lightweight team. So my suggestion would be to run the EX once or twice to get the experience, then run a different bike and never go back to the EX for an endurance. I mean I wouldnt ride another 1st gen bike with 65 - 70 hp ever again, we were getting blown by even by the other lightweight bikes, so i cant imagine what it would be like on a 55 hp EX. anyway, I still say try it once, have fun, stay out of the way and then move on to the next bike.

10. OreoGaborio

Thanks Ben. We're not planning on doing alot of endurance racing and we're definitely not expecting to compete for a championship. Most of my teammates & I are LRRS racers, but since NHIS is pretty much the only "game in town", we're just looking to try a different tracks once or twice a year and this looks like a fun event that doesn't interfere w/ LRRS.

11. Bmann

Bmann Well-Known Member

Well I would be personally skerred running a 500 in the WERA Endurance series. If you ask Team Vesarh they would be happy to get rid of the SV classes because of the bikes being too slow (06 season). This upcoming year it will be our 3 rd year at the Endurance race at summit and we have learned allot out there we run my 750 and were lucky enough to place 5th in the heavyweight unlimited class trying to better ourselves this coming season. If you race it like it's a 500cc bike you will be fine! I would be always freaked out into every turn always thinking who screaming up on my ass. Good luck :beer:

12. paul

paul just fast enough

13. paul

paul just fast enough

Just do everybody 1 huge favor. Going into turn 1,PLEASE leave some room on your outside and hold your line. Slow bikes are fine on the track as long as they don;t go from outside,to inside,back to outside. Just hold your line and we will figure out how to get around you.

By the way the closing speed btwn you and some of the heavyweight guys will me enormous into 1,,maybe not Daytona but still scary. Just ride smart and have fun.

14. EXPERT35

EXPERT35 Well-Known Member

How is it going Paul! Good to see you out on a new bike. We will have a new green bike as well. Your always welcome to through some laps down with us like Road A. Steve
    I need to step up this year to match your pace!

15. paul

paul just fast enough

Shoot. I had a blast on that thing. Just wish I coulda got some more practice on it b4 the race.I might take ya up on that though and try a few laps on it at a few tracks.Nuttin like HP.....

16. davegsxrold929r

davegsxrold929r Well-Known Member

Pete , I think I know you from loudon I have the same number 89.. but diff region.. I have raced the wera endurance series for the past couple years , so we could talk if you are going to be at loudon before then..?

dave

17. cincykid

cincykid Well-Known Member

Seriously, you guys (other endurance racers) would have to admit there are some people on other bikes that are crazy slow anyway (ESPECIALLY when it comes to a wet track).
    If you do decide to do it, HOLD YOUR LINE and be smooth and steady. Let the faster bikes figure out how to pass you, and DONT look over your shoulder. Do your thing, be fast and smooth with minimal pit stops and have fun.
    Slow and steady can beat fast and furious most times.
    Good luck!

18. OreoGaborio

Hey dave, yah I race at Loudon. I see a "Stephen Heider " listed w/ your number, he steal it from ya? that bastid ;) Unless you meant #78?

If you're gonna be up at the track, definitely keep an eye out for us... Look for the "Wachuset Brewery" banner or the School bus near the intersection at the top of the hill after you come outta the tunnel. I pit w/ all those clowns from NESR :D

Last edited: Feb 12, 2007
  19. davegsxrold929r

davegsxrold929r Well-Known Member

I know Dan from NESR well.. .. we started together.

my number is #89 FL region...

what is your number ? I will look for you one night up there...

dave

20. vcr12 pit crew

vcr12 pit crew Well-Known Member

you better step it up! we mite really show you a fight now with some new bikes....:Poke: , just kidding! whats been going on? all the guys working hard trying to get stuff together? you guys going to Miller this year?