1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

675 engine interchangeability

Discussion in 'Tech' started by JBall, Mar 14, 2015.

1. JBall

JBall REALLY senior member

I have the possibility to get a different year engine for a 675. Can any one tell me what years are interchangeable? This would be a 2012 going in an 07, but in general which ones can be swapped without tons of extra parts.

The current bike has the stock wiring harness and ECU.

Thanks

2. Hordboy

Hordboy B Squad Leader

06-12 is a direct swap. The 09-12 headers are different, tho. There's only about 2hp difference between Gen 1 and 2. (06-08 vs 09-12) The ECU will need tickled a bit.

3. JBall

JBall REALLY senior member

Thanks JD. I figured you would know this.

4. nlzmo400r

nlzmo400r Well-Known Member

If you're shopping for another engine, keep in mind the Street Triple 675 engine is the same as Gen1 daytona other than camshafts. A simple cam swap and you'd be in business.

I've actually heard the mounting locations/geometry is identical for the 2013 short stroke engine but haven't removed one to try for myself yet.

5. IL8APEX

IL8APEX Well-Known Member

^^^ That would make sense, since the newest Street uses the 2014 Daytona frame with the old (long stroke) motor.

-T

6. Hordboy

Hordboy B Squad Leader

That's not quite 100% true from what I have heard. The Streets have cast pistons and some later ones have iron cylinder liners. I believe the iron liners came in 2010. I'm not 100% sure on this because I've never had anybody want or need a Striple opened up. I've heard too that the 2013+ will bolt into the earlier frame, but haven't tried it. Not sure what would be lost running it with single injectors. But at least you could tune it with TuneECU vs. having to use a PCV/Bazzaz on the 2013+ electronics.

7. Riders Discount

Riders Discount 866-931-6644 ext 817

The 13+ motors fit in the older frame without issues.

8. Hordboy

Hordboy B Squad Leader

Does the 13+ exhaust fit the older frame ok? How's the power with the single injector setup?

9. Riders Discount

Riders Discount 866-931-6644 ext 817

We haven't tried the single injector set up on a 13 motor. I believe a few people did that in 13 before they got the PCV's working right.

We have bolted a 13 swingarm to an 07 frame with our 09 motor and 13 exhaust. The 09 swingarm was a little too tight with the low exhaust routing.

10. Hordboy

Hordboy B Squad Leader

Now THAT is a mutt! :crackup: :beer:

11. The Beer Hunter

The Beer Hunter Well-Known Member

Kinda reviving a dead thread but can you use an 09-12 ECU with a 13+ assuming its retuned? Also id assume the 13+ wiring harness will accept an older ECU.

I have a screaming deal on an old crashed 2013 race bike thats been sitting around collecting dust and want to use it and my stock of parts to make a frankenstein.

12. nlzmo400r

With the 13+ having shower injection added I don’t think so. That being said, just buy a used 13+ ECU.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. The Beer Hunter

I thought they were locked/matched the dash?

14. nlzmo400r

This would be news to me. I haven’t played with tuning on 13+ bikes though. Ask JD, he’d know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. G2G

G2G I feel the need

Anyone happen to have a spare 13+ engine for sale?

16. The Beer Hunter

I may have one for sale in a bit. Ill probably end up parting out bits ofnthat 2013 bike.

G2G likes this.
  17. backho

backho Well-Known Member

If it's a 675R model, there's quite a few bits that I'd be interested in purchasing. Text to 586 914 4478 Thanks!

18. The Beer Hunter

I believe its an R but right now im thinking of making it my rain bike. What bits are you looking for?

19. backho

backho Well-Known Member

Looking for forks, shock, steering damper, after market exhaust, and rearsets

20. The Beer Hunter

I have an Ohlins shock off a 2011 R id be willing to sell you.