1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

5x8 enclosed trailer

Discussion in 'General' started by Youpaiyou, Aug 16, 2021.

1. Youpaiyou

Youpaiyou Well-Known Member

Hi everyone:

I’m looking at buying a 5x8 enclosed trailer. Unfortunately, they are all sold out near me so I have to order one. I have three questions that I’m hoping you guys can answer for me:

1) Does the ramp door provide enough clearance? I’m worried that the angle is too steep and will result in scrapes to my lower fairing.

2) Will I have enough length to install a Pitbull TRS in the standard position?

3) They charge $70 per ring hook (for tie downs) that are welded to the frame. I’m going to use a Pitbull TRS so do I need any? I’m thinking of getting two for the front of the trailer just to be safe.

Below are pictures of the 5x8 trailer that I’m interested in ordering.

Attached Files:

2. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

5x8? Is this a trailer for ants?

23103a and NemesisR6 like this.
  3. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

Get a 5x10 if you can. Most all track bikes are 85” front tire edge to rear tire edge. Add about 8” for the TRS and handle.
    Skip all the d rings, $70 ea, hell to the no.
    Side door?
    It’ll be 57” inside width so 2 bikes side by side will be tight. A single bike, no problem.
    You can lower the angle of the ramp by jacking the tongue.
    I’m a fan of barn doors instead of a ramp. It gives you useable surface area to mount stands too.

Youpaiyou likes this.
  4. Youpaiyou

Thank you, sir. I’m upgrading from a Kendon single bike trailer.

I only do local track days and I only plan on trailering one bike. Also, storage space is an issue for me. I need to store my trailer in my garage. For these reasons, I was hoping to get a 5x8. It sounds like that’s a bad idea.

5. baconologist

Get the biggest trailer you can work with. If an 8 is it, so be it, but get a vnose. If you can fit a 10 in the garage all the better.
    Watch the height too! Most garage doors are 7ft tall

Youpaiyou likes this.
  6. Youpaiyou

Awesome advice. Thank you, again. Fortunately, my garage door is 8ft high.

7. Youpaiyou

Why V-nose?

8. baconologist

It’s nearly free extra space and it helps with mpg’s

The Todd and Youpaiyou like this.
  9. DmanSlam

DmanSlam Well-Known Member

FYI -- If the garage door is a 2-bay door for a 20x20 sized garage (minimum), a 6x12 does fit no problem. That's factoring in the 3 feet for the tongue and 2 feet for the fenders.

Best advice I received IS to get a trailer bigger than you think you need. Got a 7x16 on the way to supplement the 6x12 for that very reason.

A 5x8 does work for one bike if you don't haul a lot of extras. You'll be playing "tetris" with your cargo if you do. :) I've used a 5x8 to hold two 600s with tie downs. TRS plate positioning is likely going to be in front of the rear wheel which (probably) means you have to get the placement "right" for YOUR specific bikes. More so if you put two TRS plates in the 5x8.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2021
    Youpaiyou likes this.
  10. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

Put a couple of small blocks of wood under the top edge of the door when you lower it. An inch or two will normally be enough to shallow out the angle so nothing will ground out.

Youpaiyou and DmanSlam like this.
  11. Youpaiyou

Thank you. The TRS in front of the rear wheel is a dealbreaker for me. I’m doing this now on my Kendon and I don’t like it.

DmanSlam likes this.
  12. t11ravis

t11ravis huge carbon footprint

I just went through this 2 weeks ago. Thought al I needed was a 5x8 but found a 5x10 for the same price so I took it instead. I am damn glad I did, the 10' is tight enough, doubt I could have fit everything in the 8' like I was thought I could.

Youpaiyou likes this.
  13. JCW

JCW Well-Known Member

I've got a 5x8. I pull it with a car or little suv. It fits a bike and a couple stackable chairs aluminum ramp, plastic totes and a tool box just fine. I've had two bikes in there as well. But that admittedly sucked. Carried the rest of the stuff in my trunk. I use the pit bull trailer restraint.
    It fits in my garage. Just have to air down the tires a little. And there's still room for a bike or two behind the trailer in the garage.
    Do I wish I had more room?
    Not really unless I was moving mattresses or taller exercise equipment.

But if you were doing this more than I do, more is betterer I suppose

Youpaiyou likes this.
  14. Monsterdood

Monsterdood Well-Known Member

I was going to get a 6x10 and ended up with a 7.5’x12’ and am also glad I did. It was the perfect size for me and let’s me organize everything without just stacking shit and playing Tetris.

DmanSlam and Youpaiyou like this.
  15. Youpaiyou

I am only transporting one bike. Is there room behind the rear wheel to use the Pitbull TRS in the standard configuration?

Thank you!

16. JCW

JCW Well-Known Member

Yes. If I can ill snap a pic

Youpaiyou likes this.
  17. elevenn7

elevenn7 Well-Known Member

I'm another 5X8 owner... Went this route because it was the largest cargo trailer that would fit through the door of my garage (I can't park it outside where I live). I manage to get two SV650's in the thing using the Pit Bull restraint system. I built a ramp & platform for one of the front wheels to rest on (about 3 inches high) so the bars don't get tangled up when side by side in the trailer. Not much room for anything else, but it gets my two bikes to the track. I upgraded to better tires and pack the bearings at least once a season - I've got to be close to the GVW of the trailer. My Lexus GX470 pulls it with power to spare.

Youpaiyou likes this.
  18. DmanSlam

DmanSlam Well-Known Member

:stupid:

Youpaiyou likes this.
  19. MotoGP69

MotoGP69 Well-Known Member

I had a 5x8 Aluma brand trailer with a 2 foot v-nose for a while. I could fit 2 bikes and most of what I needed in there. My interior height was only 5 feet though and I eventually got tired of hitting my head. If your garage door is 8’ I’d be looking for a 6x10 with a 6 foot interior height.

Monsterdood and Youpaiyou like this.