1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

5KE TZ250 track day bike?

Discussion in '2-Stroke Machines' started by Billy B, Jun 14, 2021.

1. Billy B

Billy B Old N Slow

OK so I've gotten to where I'd like to consider a TZ250 as a track day ride instead of the diesels I've always been on. I'm old and haven't raced in like 25 years but still like to go a reasonable pace at a track day here and there, and while I love my current track ride I can't help but want to try what I've always considered the purest track weapon commonly available to mere mortals like myself.

So my question - I've been around 2 stroke dirtbikes for years and have always done my own maintenance on everything from roadracers to dirt/street/etc. I'm no newb when it comes to most any work on a bike. If I'm only doing a few track days per year, should the maintenance of a 250 be enough of a consideration to just stay on my 4 stroke, or could one expect to essentially just stay within the service limits of the top end and crank and the rest is similar maintenance to a 4 stroke?

Also I won't be looking for that last bit of HP each weekend so I'm hoping to have a couple of carb settings figured out where I can just run it a bit fat any given weekend and not chase jetting between sessions - does that sound reasonable or am I kidding myself?

Also, I'm looking at a 2009 5KE - any reason to avoid these and go with earlier models? Again, I'm not looking to race so I don't really care what vintage classes/etc these all fit into.

Thanks for the advice
    -Billy

2. A. Barrister

A. Barrister Well-Known Member

If you fit on it, get it. Most maintenance can be done at home before you get to the track, for what you are looking for. Ask around for gearbox ratios for the track you are going to, (unless you don't have extras). Just make sure you have no case seal leaks, and you won't really have to worry about anything, other than jetting it close. And there should be lot's of help out there, if you ask. Just get on some 2-stroke/tz lists and you'll be fine.

I can't answer as to what tz is better than another. But for what you are looking to do, I think anything 1993 or newer would be fine. (I think that is the first year of the bolt on rear subframe).

Others in here can detail the differences in the years. About the only thing to worry about on a used tz is that the engine cases aren't too worn out, where the main bearings aren't held securely, from what I have read. I could be wrong on that.

Oh, and make sure you can still get the parts you need for rebuilds. (pistons/rings /rod kits etc.) I have no idea what the yamaha parts situation is for these bikes.

3. Billy B

Billy B Old N Slow

Good feedback thanks. I'm 6'0" and about 185lbs. So a 125 is too small for me (I rode a friend's years ago) but I'm hoping the 250 will be a bit more roomy. I know I can still fit on an FZR400 if that helps :)

If someone can chime in on the spares topic - the one I'm looking at comes with a spare set of unused cylinders and I can't see ever wearing those out especially if I'm conservative on the jetting. Hoping pistons/rings/seals/cranks are still readily available?

4. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

I agree, those seem like fun and for trackdays you should be able to do all your work beforehand and just enjoy your weekend.

I have a lot of RS125 experience, but no TZ250 experience.

5. dave3593

dave3593 What I know about opera I learned from Bugs Bunny

The TZ250 takes a level of commitment but I think you'd be OK. I have ridden my TZ at track days and races. They do not idle, the temperature is regulated with tape on the radiator based on experience, they have power valve batteries that must be separately charged, need premix and need bump started (or separate plug in). If I short shift my 1989 it will foul plugs. Because of their age you will be replacing things you usually would not on newer stuff. This makes them a handful compared to a bike you up walk to, get on and push a started button. They need carefully inspected and everything kept correct like bolts, wheel bearings, silencer packing, carburetor powerjets etc.

TZ250.com is the best website for set up. It also has a history section that tells the progress over the years.

I have not had a problem with parts. Aftermarket manufactures are at least doing wear parts. The Brits have companies committed to keeping them going. There are also US sources. Some of the more unique parts are very expensive.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2021
  6. Billy B

Billy B Old N Slow

Dave, I'm comfortable with all of what you describe. I've been riding 2 strokes off road for quite a while, love my YZ125. It doesn't idle either...

Good to hear on the spares being fairly available. Most of the stuff I ride is older so I'm no stranger to hunting parts from all over. Its time consuming, but part of the 'joy' of running the older stuff that I seem to prefer over newer bikes. I'll spend some time on tz250.com, thanks for the pointer and the info!

7. Billy B

Billy B Old N Slow

By the way, if anyone is aware of a nice deal on a fairly modern TZ, please let me know. I have a line on one but its far from a sure thing at this point.

8. dave3593

dave3593 What I know about opera I learned from Bugs Bunny

I'm surprised that looking through racing forums sometimes turn up TZs for sale. RMD motors is an importer that usually have some real GP bikes and their prices appear reasonable.

9. Andy B.

Andy B. New Member

TZ250 as a track bike? What's next, an RC30?

10. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

But the TZ is way more fun to ride than the RC30.

I might be a touch biased..... :D

11. Andy B.

Andy B. New Member

My research team has dug up this dirt on the OP ;)

Attached Files:

12. Billy B

Billy B Old N Slow

Hey I resemble that freak show :) Is that an RC30 in the background? And yes, I expect a TZ is loads more fun than an RC30 (though the RC is fun in an analog 4 stroke sort of way), which is why I want a TZ!!!

13. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

I'll have a '92 TZ250 4DP available within the next 4-6 weeks. It will have new bodywork on it. Small spares package. Pricing will be inline with current market value. PM me if interested, but be aware that I have around 10 people on my list to contact who have already expressed interest. Just being upfront. I'm located in Montana.

14. SpeedWerks Racing

SpeedWerks Racing Well-Known Member

^^Ditto but a 3YL^^

motion likes this.
  15. JTRC51

JTRC51 El Speedy Gonzalez

I may be interested in selling my 93 4DP bike with some pedigree (ex Hayden). I was planning on rebuilding but have 2 of them so this one may go.

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  16. Billy B

Billy B Old N Slow

Thanks guys. I'm still trying to work it out on an '09 for sale. I'm now aware of the crank/case issue on these and will ask about that.

For comparison, what's the market price right now on a nice 4DP? Sorry for the newb questions but it's hard to find what bikes are actually selling for.

17. Once a Wanker..

Once a Wanker.. Always a Wanker!

You see my PM from yesterday, JT?

18. Billy B

Billy B Old N Slow

JT can you let me know what you'll be asking for your 4DP and where its located, etc? I'm in Ohio. Thanks

19. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Market is super tight right now. I don't recall seeing any active for sale, so I'm going to say 10K-18K depending on spares package and motor condition.

20. The Beer Hunter

The Beer Hunter Well-Known Member

I'll chime in. I just purchased an '01 5KE with a nice spares package for 12.5k. It's Sean Wray's old AMA bike. The spares kit is extensive but rough (cylinders need replating, crank needs a rebuild).

All in. I'd say I scored an exceptional deal. Though to be fair the guy I bought it from got it at a hilariously low price and just let it sit.

JTRC51 likes this.