1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

525 chain/520 sprocket ???

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Wade Parish, Oct 26, 2003.

1. Wade Parish

Wade Parish North Central Hawker

My bike has the stock 525 chain and sprockets on it but, because I've heard so much about Road Atlanta's epic back-straight, I'm thinking about throwing on a smaller 520 sprocket I have lying around. Using a 525 chain and a 520 spocket wouldn't be a big deal just for a couple of days, would it? I don't plan on keeping it that way.

2. Kris87

Kris87 Friendly Smartass

I wouldn't do it and never heard of anyone doing it. Don't know what the reprocussions might be. What kind of bike is this and how many links are on the chain? I have extra.

3. Wade Parish

It's a Honda Hawk. I have no idea how many links the current chain has. Do you mean you have an extra 520 chain? Thanks, but it wouldn't work 'cuz the front sprocket is a stock 525.

4. Tank Boy

Tank Boy clank clank boom

I wouldn't do it.

At the very least it will chew up that chain, at the worst you will throw the chain at the worst possible moment (probably down the back straight).

5. Wade Parish

Okee Dokee. Thanks.

6. Brad

Brad Swollen Member

The pitch is different...it won't work. On that note, someone will now reply that it does work, but you really have to force it.:eek: :D

7. YamRZ350

YamRZ350 Nicorette Dependent

Brad, I'm pretty sure that the pitch is the same between the two sizes. Both are a 5/8 in. pitch. (Thats what the "5" means). I think the only difference is the width of the chain. I haven't measured the two to compare so I can't be 100% sure. You might have to force it...

What I have seen before is guys running 530 chain on 520 sprockets with no problems. Again, with this set-up the pitch is the same, the width is different.

tom

8. Tank Boy

Tank Boy clank clank boom

9. Wade Parish

See, that's what I thought. But what do I know?...

10. ZebProctor1

ZebProctor1 Well-Known Member

Just lay a 520 chain out, and a 525 chain side by side on the pavement, and measure the lengths of the most links you can.... if they look the same length at 110 links, chances are they are the same length, and it's just the width that is different.... and if that's the case, they you should be ok to run it like that....

11. Gumby647

Gumby647 SeƱor Member

I've run 520 sprockets on 525 and 530 chains with no problems. The only one you can't use is 532 that comes on some Yamahas.

Also if you need taller gearing you can run a 17t front sprocket on the Hawk if you trim the teeth down a bit to clear the shift shaft.

12. Alex_V

Alex_V Dump the diesel

I had a 520 front sproket on a stock 525 chain on my street Hawk. I am not sure if I can guarantee the reliability, but I didn't have any problems riding on hwys.

I was also broke, and would probably do a full 520 conversion if I can go back.

Alex

13. CR750

CR750 Well-Known Member

You are correct that the difference between a 520 and 525 is the width. I have machined down 525s and 530s to 520 on the lathe with no problem. My concern running the 520 sproket would be chain slap causing wear.

14. yoshinewmn

yoshinewmn white & nerdy

i raced 525 and 520 sprockets on a 525 chain all last year ,
    no problems .

15. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

chain sizes info

Chain size was originally based on the "Rule of Eighths".

The rule is that 8 is the denominator of the three digit chain size, and dimensions are in inches.

The first digit is for chain pitch. This is the distance between the pins. (i.e. 5/8 for a 520 chain, 4/8 for a 420 chain)

The second and third digits combine for roller width, but a decimal point is inserted between the second and third digits.

For example, a 420 chain has a pitch of 4/8" = 1/2" (12.70mm) and a roller width of 2.0/8" = 1/4" (6.35mm).

A 520 chain has a pitch of 5/8" (15.88mm) and a roller width of 2.0/8" = 1/4" (6.35mm)

A 525 chain has a pitch of 5/8" (15.88mm) and a roller width of 2.5/8" (7.94mm).

A 530 chain has a pitch of 5/8" (15.88mm) and a roller width of 3.0/8" (9.52mm).

These are nominal dimensions, and chain manufacturers often have slightly different specs for roller diameter, sprocket width, etc. But a 525 chain from one manufacturer will have the same pitch as a 520, 525, 530, or 532 chain from another and run smoothly on 525 sprockets from another.

A 525 chain may run on 520 sprockets, but a 520 chain is too narrow to run on 525 sprockets.

hope it helps..

zitoune likes this.
  16. Brad

Brad Swollen Member

AHA! Maybe I tried to temporarily fit a 520 on the 525 sprocket and it bound up because of width instead of the pitch!:eek: Either way I should have forced it!!:D