1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

500gp bikes.

Discussion in '2-Stroke Machines' started by cole, Jun 25, 2004.

1. YSRkid70NC

YSRkid70NC Banned

Where can you get a V4 NSR500?

2. 418

418 Expert #59

You can't.

Most have been destroyed or are in a museum.

There is one out there. Good luck finding it though.

3. Greg Gabis

Greg Gabis Slow Traffic

Does a CR500 motor in a TZ250 chassis count as a 500GP bike? ;)

4. wera #3

wera #3 Well-Known Member

i am presently racing a TZ 500 in wera vintage V-5.
    i got the engine from ireland. a JPX magnesium case induction motor with pnumatic power valves.
    i had harry barlow come over from england and build a new set of pipes for it. its in a spondon chromolly steel chassis..one of two built for the 500....i have 001
    it has marchesini magnesium wheels with a gsxr front end worked over by traxxion dynamics.
    its the coolest thing ive ever riden.
    i plan to ride it for a long time.
    im bringing it to nelson in two weeks.....
    dick gruhn

5. Mats Karlsson

Mats Karlsson Well-Known Member

pnumatic power valves, spondon chromolly steel chassis. I'm getting all exited, you got any pictures ?

6. TZRusty

TZRusty Well-Known Member

500 GP bike

Vintage GP bikes are out there if you know where to look. TZ500-750`s RG500 and RS500 triples can be had for $20,000 or less. The YZR 500 ROC and Harris bikes are starting to change hands. Be prepared to pay $50,000- $60,000. IF can get one and ride it , you won`t regret it. The pucker factor is worth every cent !!!

7. ism409

ism409 Well-Known Member

I talked to these guys at mosport this summer..
    They are not true 500cc gp bikes... they are replicas.

http://www.adjustmenttech.com/

I saw the Kevin Schwanz pepsi and Wayne Rainey Marlboro replicas there..super nice stuff!

8. TZRusty

GP bikes

Yes, the bikes in your attachment are replicas I`m talking about the real thing. I have 3 TZ 750`s I`m in NJ too, so come see for yourself.

9. ism409

ism409 Well-Known Member

Re: GP bikes

TZRusty I might take you up on that offer.. I am in morristown so not too far from milford. I would love to see these things in person!:D

10. TZRusty

GP bikes

If you want to take a look give me a call 908 995-4462

11. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Re: 500 GP bike

The problem is getting parts. Cases are none existant anymore. Forget cranks. Some of the Yamahas parts do have part numbers but you'd better have one hell of a resume to get an answer to your requests.
    The ROC is the one to have but the Harris is no slouch.

The NSRv or the Aprilia are the ones to grab if you actually want to race the bike for more then a round or two.

Better have some serious cash and not be afraid to spend it.

12. TZRusty

YZR 500 parts

I was lead to believe that ROC has aftermarket alloy cases to replace the fragile stock magnesium ones. for $6,000. Geoff Greenham, Padgetts and ROC have spares.

13. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

True, Padgetts does have some parts but they are getting very scarce. Been years since I've talked to them.
    I wonder how the alloy cases would hold up but, if that's what's available.

I've heard some horror stories about the last race for the factory/ Red Bull Yamahas and the "return" of the parts. I don't doubt the stories and almost made me cry.

Scott Grays' old Harris was for sale but I lost track of that bike years ago.

14. TZRusty

YZR 500GP

I have all the part no.#s for the engine, but chassis parts have to come from ROC, Harris or the suppliers, Ohlins, brembo ect.

15. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

What was the name of the guy who made the "after market" cylinders for the YZR? Bartol? I remember them being leaps better then Yamaha parts (McKenzie used them to finish third on a ROC).
    It's killing me that I can't remember it right now.

16. Mats Karlsson

Mats Karlsson Well-Known Member

Hans Hummel made some non-power valve cylinders for TZ 250 in the early to mid 80s, maybe that's the guy you’re thinking about. Harold Bartol did some "tuning" on the Harris and ROC, but I don't remember him actually making some parts for the YZR engines. Regarding Scott Gray, wasn't he hurt kinda bad in '94 racing a Ducati in AMA, and then went GP racing out of his own pocket on a Harris in '95 ? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2004
  17. ajloeffler232

ajloeffler232 New Member

rgv 500 2 stroke track bike

My father races a 1986 gamma or known as 500cc rgv suzuki from what the hold man tells me- "yamaha 500's suck compared to suzuki's that why there so cheap. I love 2 strokes i like riding the 500 gamma better then a gsxr 1000 gamma alot tweeker and always up on 1 wheel no matter 1 gear look up some old gamma if your lookn for a collecters item to race

18. pip

pip Well-Known Member

not to dig up old shit thats been rehashed a thousand times, but why doesnt someone in america just start making 500cc two stroke engines?

seems like there are PLENTy of people willing to pay

19. ecumike

ecumike Relocated Yankee

$$$

It would cost... tooo much, same reason no one is selling/buying them now.

20. YSRkid70NC

YSRkid70NC Banned

someone needs to make a new line of bikes. High quality racing bikes (2-strokes, only they are worthy of racing). Someone that can make frames Someone who machines parts and all the other people who do the rest of the crap