1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

500gp bikes.

Discussion in '2-Stroke Machines' started by cole, Jun 25, 2004.

1. cole

cole Well-Known Member

Bill Cole, last post before I get a new screen name, promise!

Anyway, say you were crazy and had a lot of money, could you buy a 500gp bike from anywhere? The biggest I've ever seen for sale is a 250gp bike.

2. r6rider0311

r6rider0311 Well-Known Member

Hey in the bike shop i always go to,they have an RGV500 there and it is fu-king awesome. Its been there like 2 yrs on display they say the guy is scared to take it on the track. Its bad ass. Don't know if the guy would take offers on it though?

3. Mats Karlsson

Mats Karlsson Well-Known Member

4. Bill Cole

Bill Cole Well-Known Member

Yes they can certainly be had.. I would bet that Honda has a new 500 twin if you had the 100K.

5. gpracer15

gpracer15 Built to Ride

www.gpstar.net sells bikes like this along with others....

6. Roach

Roach Yamaha Catapult Tester

Honda offered the NSR500V to the public in '02 (I think, might have been '01) for $70k , or $90k with the full spares package.

The 4-cyl 500s were leased from the factories, and returned at the end of the season to be crushed. Only a few found their way into hands of private owners.

- Roach

7. Bill Cole

Bill Cole Well-Known Member

You are correct.. They must crush them. This allows the factory to write off the R&D. I bet that is a nice tax break.. ! I think I would throw up watching them crush those frames..

8. TZRusty

TZRusty Well-Known Member

500 GP bike

There is a project TZ 500 available on the TZ350.com site. Alloy Spondon frame and TZ 500 engine with reed Hummel cylinders. $3,500 US dollars. Good start for a V5/6/7 racer and not 100K

9. jp233

jp233 hu huh, you said "member"

yeah last year at Summit Point there was some 500cc 2 stroke there I thought it was an old Tz500

that thing sounded like a monster

10. Roach

Roach Yamaha Catapult Tester

Er, Pat ... that was TZRusty, and it's a TZ750 :D

- Roach

11. Hawker

Hawker Member

There's a CMRA guy that owens/races one of the V-twin NSR500s. I pitted next to him and his mechanic (full-time, paid) at a Texas World Speedway trackday when he first bought it. Still had the "Hey, I saw that on TV" paint job on it. Very cool bike, very, very fast! Don't remember which team it was purcased from.

12. 12pointRacing

12pointRacing two-stroke potato peeler

...there is very little I wouldn't give for a track day on even a 2 cylinder NSR500. :(

13. Steve Fahey

Steve Fahey I need a new avatar

Wera #3 has a Spondon framed TZ500 he's running in V5 this year. At Road Atlanta this weekend he owned the back straight!

14. dsb

dsb Well-Known Member

15. 12pointRacing

A big Aprilia 500, a big Sponsor, and a dream is all I need.

I've got the dream part covered...now I just need to find the other two.

:D

16. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Sure, but for the V4's are not cheap and parts are next to impossible to get.

There are a couple of ROC's and Harris's floating around the US. Cagvia is selling copies of their V4's in the same spec as when it was last raced.

NSR500V's, RSW500's, ROC's, Harris's, Cagivas and some ancient Gamma's. All you need is a lot of money and a source for parts.

Check with Padgett's in England if your bank book is EXTREMELY large.

17. 12pointRacing

The Prillers are Vtwins like the customer spec NSR, but I imagine the crank is a piece of art and alone costs more than my race budget for an entire season. :) I know of people who seem to be able to get parts for the RSV250s, so possibly parts are attainable? Rocky would be the only one in the states that would know for sure (or maybe Colin Jensen)

For me at least it is nothing but a dream as my budget can barely afford a supersport effort. :) I would spend serious $$ for a trackday on a real GP bike though...or maybe one 8 lap race. :)

18. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Yeap, The RSW500 is a twin. That bike is my ultimate "must own, first thing I'd buy if I won Powerball".

Heck, if I won Powerball, I'd buy all three. McWilliams to sit and stare at (since it'd be in a case in my bedroom) and two to race.

If you have the money and you're dead serious about getting Aprilia parts there is an easy avenue. Contact Aprilia's race department.

Aprilia parts are dead gorgeous. They make Honda parts look like they belong on a farm tractor. :)

19. TZRusty

TZRusty Well-Known Member

ROC 500 Parts

I have the parts manual for a ROC 500. Many of the engine parts are from the 250`s or interchangable with older 250 models. The drum valve cylinders can be replaced with 91-99 250 parts with linkage from the H/J/K models. I was suprise of the number of gaskets, seals, bearings and other parts are over the counter 250 parts.

20. Mats Karlsson

Mats Karlsson Well-Known Member