1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

5.5 inch back wheel into k6 1000

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Tony T, Jan 9, 2018.

1. Tony T

Tony T Member

Hi guys. I asked this question at my local and didn't get a response so thought i would ask here.

Hi guys. I see a lot of people ask about fitting a "190" onto a stock 600 or 750 rim and its pretty clear its a backwards step so this question is more to satisfy my curiosity and expand my knowledge so here it goes...

What would be the good, bad and ugly in grafting a 5.5 inch rear wheel and 180/55-17 tyre (lets say from a k1-l0 gsxr 600) into the back of a k6 1000.

Would the bike become more nimble? Will it have less traction at a given lean angle, how will it alter geometry and will ride height need to be changed, is it a good/bad thing to do on a street bike or track bike?

Many thanks, TT

2. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

you can mount a 180/55 on a 6.0 inch rim if you like. And the only 190's I see mounted on 5.5 rims are Dunlop race tires that were 190/55 or 190/60. Hell, you can mount a 200/55 Dunlop slick on a 5.5 inch rim if it tickles you fancy (that's what MotoAmerica Supersport was doing up until mid-year 2017), although it's better suited to a 6.0 rim.

I can't see any purpose in mounting a 5.5 rim on a 1000 and then putting a 180/55 tire on it. There are tires designed for a 6.0 inch rim that have a shape/profile that is similar to what a 180/55 would be on a 5.5 rim.

Tony T likes this.
  3. Tony T

Tony T Member

Thanks for the reply spl, i see you over at gixxer. I was of the thinking that mounting a 180/55 on a 6.0 would have a chance of falling off the edge of the tyre? So mounting the correct tyre/rim combo would be the best bet

4. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

Yes.

Incorrect would be wrong and correct would be right.

YamRZ350 likes this.
  5. Tony T

Tony T Member

Dont know why it says chaotic is an idiot in my post either

6. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

Because that is also correct.

7. Bruce

Bruce Tuck & Roll

:crackup: