1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

49th Annual WERA Grand National Finals

Discussion in 'General' started by Mongo, Sep 23, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

The schedule is posted here - https://www.wera.com/pdfs/eventschedule/gnfsched2021.pdf I'm going to open pre entry next week once I make sure via all of you I didn't totally screw up the schedule. I do enough mistakes cutting and pasting year to year that I'm a bit paranoid about typing out the entire thing this time :crackup:

The invite letters are being printed now and should hit the mail Monday. I did just realize the deadline in it for pre entry is October 15th, that may change to Sunday night the 17th if I don't feel like going in and working that weekend but either way it is the GNF so it will be earlier than normal.

mpusch likes this.
  2. Harry Reynolds

Harry Reynolds Well-Known Member

I know I'm a lap down on this, but I have some questions on the general layout of the weekend:
    We have two guys on our "team" - One is really good and one is me...

1. We've run some regional races but no National races - Teammate is top 5 in points in our region - He can run the Sportsman Final on Saturday for the National Championship?
    2. I'm not in the top 5 in regional points - can I run the in the Saturday races?
    3. Again - no National points - can we run the National race on Sunday? Just run for the race win, but not for the championship?
    4. Are grids determined by entry for the Sportsman races on Saturday?
    5.If we are not planning on (or can't) running the Sunday National races - can we still run on Friday and run the Qualifying session?

Thanks!!

3. 88/532

88/532 Simply Antagonistical

Been awhile since I’ve been to a GNF. Question, can I ride, then park my street bike in the paddock area to spectate. Don’t like the long walks parking up on the road at Barber…too old now.

4. Yamaboy

Yamaboy Active Member

Not sure if the GNF is different from other events. I spectated at the July WERA Barber race and the attendant at the paddock entrance asked me to park my bike on the 3rd tier.

5. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

You'll be able to ride into the paddock. You won't have to park out in the perimeter lots

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

1 - Absolutely
    2 - Yep, anyone who has entered a sportsman class can run that sportsman class at the GNF
    3 - Yep, anyone can enter those as long as they're legal for the class.
    4 - Points position in class fo Sportsman grids - so all 1st place, then all 2nds and so on. It's not the actual number of points you have.
    5 - You have to be entered in the race to run the q sessions and friday practice (or entered in a vintage race that day).

7. Harry Reynolds

Thanks!!!

8. wheelz96

wheelz96 Well-Known Member

We will be bringing an RV for the first time to GNF this year and I am a rookie with camping at the track in an RV. Does Barber provide water hook-up? Do I pay a separate fee for camping? I know about the power but checking to see if I need to fill the water tanks before we leave...

9. tawzx12r

tawzx12r Influencer to none

There is a hose available at the bath house.... but your best bet is to ALWAYS get water before the track or you'll wait in another line once again.

wheelz96 likes this.
  10. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

There's a hose at the base of the tower on the opposite end from tech. You can fill up there.

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

There is water as they said, easy to get to either building. You pay the track for camping at the little building where you get wristbands. First come first serve on spots with power. No dump on site.

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Last of the letters are hitting the post office today - here is what it says:

You have qualified for the 49th Annual WERA Grand National Final at Barber Motorsports Park the weekend of October 21-24, 2021 ! You can enter any class you entered during the 2021 Season in the WERA Sportsman Series at the GNF.

If you would like to enter any of the Vintage or National Classes at the GNF you may do so since both series are done on a point based Championship and this is the final round in those two Series.

New this year we will be doing qualifying sessions for the Pirelli/WERA National Challenge Series on Friday interspersed with the WERA Vintage Series finals. These will be for Experts and Novices and will set the grid for the final later in the weekend. You do not have to run qualifying to run the race but you will be gridded at the back. Sportsman Series Races other then A and C Superbike Expert will be gridded on points, A and C Superbike Expert will be gridded on the final round of practice the day of the race. All Vintage classes will be done via points and entry order as usual.

A schedule for the weekend is enclosed for you and is online here https://www.wera.com/pdfs/eventschedule/gnfsched2021.pdf . Pirelli/WERA National Challenge entry fees are $170 pre entry ($190 post) for your first class, $120 pre entry ($140 post) for the 2nd and 3rd classes, $100 pre and post for every additional class. Sportsman Series and Vintage classes are $150 pre entry ($170 post) for your first class, $100 pre entry ($120 post) for the 2nd and 3rd classes, $90 pre and post for every additional class. Mini and Grom Cup will be $50 per entry pre or post. Thursday practice will run all day and is $225 pre entry, $250 post entry. Transponder Rentals are $60 except for minis which is $30 rental. Pre Entry will close at midnight eastern on October 15th.. You can enter at the track as well – see the schedule for Registration times.

Gates will be opening between 5 and 6pm Wednesday. Parking will be in Lot C or Lot G, you will be directed at the stop sign by the museum. We will be getting the vendors in early so they will be parked in their own line. Once the gates do open please enter in the order in which you arrived. The racing will happen later in the weekend and there is no reason to start the event off being rude to your fellow riders by trying to cut in line. Gate fees for rider/crew will be $40. Rider/Crew bands will be sold Wednesday 5-12, Thursday 6am-11pm, Friday 6am-11pm, Saturday 6am-10pm, Sunday 6:30am-2:30pm.

We want to thank all the racers who have come out to an event in 2021 – we are happy to have been able to provide you with racing all across the US once more and we are looking forward to 2022 – think about bringing a friend to start racing and get them off the street if they are “really fast”. We will continue the discounts on the rider’s school and the first time licenses in 2022 in an effort to encourage riders to become racers!

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

A note to anyone entering the Minis - enter the Saturday race via the Sportsman pre entry and Sundays via the National Pre entry. Should work okay but any issues let me know.

14. voss555

voss555 Well-Known Member

Is there anywhere for spectators to get an RV spot earlier than at the gate? Thanks!

15. wheelz96

wheelz96 Well-Known Member

When will pre-registration be open on the site?

16. Harry Reynolds

Thursday practice question. How long will each practice session be?
    Thanks!! HR

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Nope, there really aren't any RV spots for spectators with any hookups, those are all in the paddock.

18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Friday is the plan.

wheelz96 likes this.
  19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Dunno, have to do some math :crackup:

Morning with 5 groups will be 2 rounds so that is 18 minutes each group total time. That will make first round 12 minutes green to checker (works out to 15+ total time for the group) to build a little cushion for incidents. Then the second round will be more like 15-17 green to checker depending on how smoothly things run.

Afternoon will be 2 longer rounds of 20 minutes or so green to checker and may be a couple minutes longer if everything runs smoothly. That way you can go out and get some time then hit pit lane for any adjustments and try them while everything is still hot and ready to go.

Harry Reynolds likes this.
  20. mdhokie

mdhokie Well-Known Member

Anybody going from MD area and interested in ride sharing?