1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

415 chain install help

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Indy88, Sep 5, 2017.

1. Indy88

Indy88 Member

I was trying to install a 415 chain sprocket kit on my ninja 300 racebike yesterday and ran into some problems. I purchased the kit from speed motoco and it came with a DID ERZ 415 chain. I own a DID 500R chain tool but it is only compatible with 530, 525, and 530 chains. So I couldn't cut the chain or press and rivet the master link. Does anyone know if there is a tool specifically made for 415 chains or is it just a different process?

2. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

Just a different tool. It's more like a bicycle rivet tool. Do a search for 415 chain rivet tool. Cutting it is easier, just grind the rivet off and use [​IMG]

3. Indy88

Indy88 Member

I saw this but I wasn't 100% sure if it would work as it's meant for bicycles. Good to know it'll break the chain.

But how would I go about pressing the plate and riveting the master link? I would still run into the problem of the DID chain tool not working. It was suggested to me to run a clip style master link but I would prefer rivet style as that was provided with the kit and gives me peace of mind

4. Indy88

Indy88 Member

I may have been mistaken. I'll need to wait till I get home to see if I did truly get a rivet master link with the DID 415 ERZ chain. Amazon points to there being only clip style master links so I may have goofed. Also seeing as its a non-oring chain I don't need to press the plate. Amazing how fresh eyes will make everything make sense

5. ck.mecha

ck.mecha Well-Known Member

Ive installed two 415 kits from speedmotoco and they both came with clip style master links. Two actually, since the DID chain is too short, there will be a short piece of chain spliced in.

6. Indy88

Indy88 Member

Out of curiosity how well did the clip style master links hold up?

7. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

FWIW, I've never had a clip master fail that I've installed. Sharp-stamped edge goes to the outside.
    I've seen an OEM rivet master fail, but never an OEM clip.

8. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

I've seen them fail. Put clear silicone on the clip when you're done.

9. YamRZ350

YamRZ350 Nicorette Dependent

Make sure the closed end of the clip faces the direction of travel. Then goop like Rick says.

10. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

Clean the link with something that will leave no residue, then goop.