1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

4,003 miles & 164,586 ft elevation handcycling in 2018

Discussion in 'General' started by 50Joe, Dec 31, 2018.

1. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

Many on the bbs who have followed my journey navigating the life changing crash that caused my paralysis may not be up to date on my latest exploits. I got my handcycle in June of 2017. I found it to be one activity where I was able to escape the reality of my physical situation. for 2018 I didn't really have a goal. Just get as many miles in to get my base fitness up and participate in some cool events. My final mileage and elevation climbed in 2018 is in the header. Some highlights were racing in the Marine Corps Marathon, Project Hero Honor ride in FL, racing at the Paranationals, Metric Century in Charleston and the Face of America ride from Valley Forge to Gettysburg to benefit disabled vets. I've met so many incredible people along the way. Mostly vets who have become disabled as well. What I have learned is that everyone is fighting a battle. Some of those battles are easily seen like mine but many stay hidden from everyday sight. It could be a TBI or PTSD or domestic abuse or depression or addiction. Never assume somebody is OK just by how they look on the outside. If you want to say a kind word to a stranger, do it. It just may make a huge difference. Many people helped me especially early in my injury. I'm doing my best to pay it forward when I can. I think as humans we all should try to pay it forward if possible. Anyway, enough of the soap box. I plan to continue to get stronger in 2019 and I haven't abandoned the FZ07R project and hope to get that puppy out on a track or three in 2019 as well. Make every day as good as it can be and do the best with what you have.

Attached Files:

2. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Amazing! That's more miles than most people put on their track bikes in 2+ years or more.
    Your insight to people is real...it comes to those of us that journey. That you've recognized it and, more importantly, reached out is testament to your fortitude. :bow:
    :flag:

50Joe likes this.
  3. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

Great job dude! Most guys aren’t doing that volume on their regular road bikes. Doing it on a hand cycle has to be way tougher. I’m happy to hear you found an activity to get you out there and forget about your physical limitations. Do you Strava bro?

50Joe likes this.
  4. ZimZam

ZimZam Well-Known Member

Crush it, man.

50Joe likes this.
  5. Kev59

Kev59 Well-Known Member

Pomeroy FTW! I always thought Joe was a pretty good racer but didn't know much about him. I had no idea how much of a badass he is! My dad was paralyzed in'72 so I can somewhat relate to Joe's situation. I hope people can recognize and applaud Joe's effort and accomplishments. He's a real hero.

TurboBlew and 50Joe like this.
  6. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

This is the coolest thing I’ve read in a long time. I’m having a hard time recovering from my last brain injury and have been kind of a bitch about it. Sometimes I need a reminder of how minor it is, and how much different things could be.

This guy is a fucking beast. The miles are impressive, but the most incredible thing is to keep smiling through it all. Nice work, sir. :flag:

50Joe likes this.
  7. PPPope

PPPope Well-Known Member

Way to go! Keep it up pal.

50Joe likes this.
  8. sbkidd

sbkidd Well-Known Member

I read the title and was getting ready to post up my milage for the year. Never mind.

50Joe likes this.
  9. DJ Baker

DJ Baker Well-Known Member

Mad Props! Cheers to exceeding your goals in 2019!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

50Joe likes this.
  10. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

Yup. Those are my Strava numbers. In reality I have a few more that Strava didn't capture.

Phl218 likes this.
  11. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Simply Bad Ass!!

50Joe likes this.
  12. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

My girlfriend has a TBI and it effects her daily. Most people think she is just fine but some days are a major struggle for her. She uses exercise to manage it best. She rode 8,500 miles this year on her upright bike. Riding helps her balance along with other issues related to her TBI.

13. Phl218

Phl218 .

Guy i bought my ex-SV from has PTSD and TBI from a landmine that blew his humvee in half.
    Badass guy, you could never tell.
    But the hell he goes through 24/7 is unseen to others.

Great job Joe, keep up the good work!

50Joe likes this.
  14. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Congrats Bud. :bow:

50Joe likes this.
  15. dantheman

dantheman Yeah, it hurt.....

Bravo!

50Joe likes this.
  16. That’s badass. Keep going Joe!

50Joe likes this.
  17. Uncle Snake

Uncle Snake Well-Known Member

Very inspiring! Happy to read about your progress!

50Joe likes this.
  18. sharky nrk

sharky nrk Rubber Side Up

Whoop!!!! Awesome.

50Joe likes this.
  19. Ducti89

Ducti89 Ticketing Melka’s dirtbike.....

Good on you, Joe! See you at the track in 2019:beer:

50Joe likes this.
  20. SpeedyTide

SpeedyTide 'Bama's Bad Boy

So cool to hear!! You have my utmost respect! :clap: