1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

3rd gen 4runner

Discussion in 'General' started by OGs750, Jan 26, 2018.

1. OGs750

OGs750 Well-Known Member

Anyone have one or have experience with them? I'm looking at a 2002 2WD sport with 230k on the clock, but with receipts and maintenance history dating back to 2005. I'm looking for a cheap(er) ride for work where I'll be driving over some dirt roads getting to test stands.

I've done research on these and it sounds like they're robust so long as they're maintained properly, but I'm wondering if there's anything I should ask about or look out for that will signify pending doom.

A carfax would be helpful too if anyone could help a brotha out. VIN: JT3GN86R320242065

2. I have an 01 4wd that the wife bought new. It’s a 3rd vehicle with 270k miles on it. If maintained go for it. Only thing to do is check trans fluid as some have issue with trans getting contaminated with antifreeze aka milkshake.

OGs750 likes this.
  3. tz_eric

tz_eric Well-Known Member

I have a '96 4x4 v6 auto with 260k miles.

It started feeling unstable above 70 mph after 200k miles. I ended up replacing all the suspension bushings and swaybar links. That fixed it. The front lower a-arm bushings were actually torn. You could hear them squeak when the suspension moved. This would be expensive if you don't DIY.

The steering rack lost a seal at about 240k. I had noticed that I wasn't getting full lock to lock steering for a while before it popped. So make sure the steering is solid.

OGs750 likes this.
  4. OGs750

OGs750 Well-Known Member

I've heard about the "strawberry milkshake" on the 4runner forums. Is there an easily accessible fill port of dip stick I can check? I think one of the first things I'm going to do if I get the truck is install a dedicated transmission cooler to bypass the radiator.

5. cm1744

cm1744 Well-Known Member

Should just be able to pop off the radiator cap and see. It'll mix both ways so if the coolant is contaminated, as is the trans.

OGs750 likes this.
  6. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

My son has an 02. It's been pretty decent but his steering rack went out last month and that set him back $1800.

7. DrA5

DrA5 The OTHER Great Dane

We have/had two 4Runners Limiteds, a 2001 and currently a 2013. The only issue with the 2001 was the retractable antenna had the plastic toothed mast guide break. That was it. I actually sold it to a family member, we were that confident as to its quality.

2013 is also great. The only thing I hate about it is the GPS is not the best, and they have that stupid aspect in place where as when the vehicle is moving, you cannot enter in anything to the GPS or use the phone directory or dial with the touch pad. And the iPod interface has you seriously scrolling five lines at a time. Good luck if you want to hear ZZ Top within an hour of driving.

Regarding the immobilization of the GPS while in motion. It can tell when the front seat is occupied, with the seat belt warning. Why it doesn't then allow the passenger to enter in GPS information is beyond me. I really HATE HATE HATE that aspect of the 4Runner.

MachineR1 and OGs750 like this.
  8. OGs750

OGs750 Well-Known Member

Good call, thanks.

Do you know how many miles he had on his?

9. cyclenut

cyclenut Well-Known Member

I have a 1999 Gen 3 with 415K. I’ve owned it since 70K. Its pretty durable. Do the timing belt at 90K intervals and waterpump/belts at 180K. I had the pink milkshake at 300K, we flushed things but the trans died at 302K. I bought a used trans off LKQ for $450 and thats still going good.

I change oil every 10K with Mobil 1 synthetic. People have been telling me I need to change it more often the whole time I’ve owned it :)

JBall, OGs750 and BigBird like this.
  10. tz_eric

I got a new oem rack from Camelback Toyota for about $650. Replacing it was about a half day job of shadetree mechanic-ing.

Oh, yeah, if you don't have proof that the front lower ball joints have been replaced with good (preferably OEM) ones in the last 60k miles, you should just budget in replacing them. They are a weak link on the 3rd gen.

11. OGs750

OGs750 Well-Known Member

^are they only good for 60k or are you saying that because of the current mileage?

12. OGs750

OGs750 Well-Known Member

415k, that's what I'm talking about! The milkshake is my biggest fear, the second being the lower ball joints, but I think I'll get a bit of a heads up when those start to go.

13. tz_eric

I think they're good for 60k even if they were abused. I usually assume any used car I'm buying has been abused.
    In general, I would trust them out past 100k, if I'm the one that put the miles on it.

OGs750 likes this.
  14. rd400racer

Bought it with 140K, I think he's up to 170.

15. rd400racer

Yeah, I should have fixed it for him. I watched a youtube of the procedure and then realized that he'll never learn to do anything himself if I fix it
    and I'm sick of working on vehicles. He's 25 and I shouldn't be taking care of shit like this for an adult.

16. cyclenut

cyclenut Well-Known Member

I’ve never replaced the lower ball joints on my 415K 99. I did replace a front halfshaft at 403K due to a ripped outer boot. Think we hit a stick. Boot was $60, whole halfshaft assembly withe boot was $190 so we did that.

17. noeyes

noeyes Well-Known Member

I had a 2001. The day it tripped 120,00 miles it broke a connecting rod and trashed the motor. I'd buy another one with no hesitation tho. I know it was a fluke.

18. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

I understand this!!! I bought Tyler an old 98 BMW 528i for $1600 to use when he was home last summer for his internship in downtown LA. It lasted all summer. I kept it so when he came home for one month over Christmas he would have something to drive. Second week home he calls me and said car made a loud bang and the temp gauge pegged? He pops the hood and said there was coolant everywhere. So we decided to have it towed to a shop, he was about 45 miles from me and I didn't feel like dealing with it.

Garage calls him and said the coolant bottle broke, it is pressurized in this car, and the thermostat is bad as well as the thermostat housing. They want $900 to fix it and said that is 5 hours labor. So we google it....man technology is great...and it looks pretty easy to do. So I ordered $250 in parts and then sent the tow truck down there to bring it to my shop, paid the first place $100 for diagnosis.

Next morning Tyler and I get up and head into the shop. We take it apart and realize the neck we got was wrong. Drive to the parts place, they don't have it in stock but can have it in 4 hours. The original doesn't look bad to me, so we decide to reuse it. One hour and 20 minutes after we started it was done, and that included wasting the time at the auto parts store.

Tyler said, wow I can see how auto repair places really rip people off. Actually without Youtube, I'm not sure I would have messed with it. Turned into a great learning experience for both of us.

rd400racer, pscook and Shenanigans like this.
  19. loser

loser Well-Known Member

I don't know where you live but if you're looking at any 4runner that has ever seen a salted road look long and hard at the frame. They have notorious rust issues. Like the rear control arm mounts breaking off the frame, the frame rails dissspearing, (they rot from inside out) and the rear differental covers rotting through. I'm not talking the odd case, I'm talking all the 4runners in the rust belt. Bodies will still look good, frames will be gone.

Don't believe me? Crawl under on and start tapping on the frame with a hammer.

The frame issue wasn't just Tacomas. 4runners and T100s too.

20. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

Anyone know if these have the wiring for trailer brake controllers? I'm looking for a similar vehicle and it seems nothing from the 1999 to 2003 (Ford, Nissan, etc) range has the proper wiring in place and requires the Micky mouse rats nest of aftermarket wires to connect a brake controller