1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

3rd Annual Fast from the Past Vintage Challenge

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by hinshaw929, Feb 23, 2010.

1. mgmark

mgmark George Tirebiter for President

Hey Charlie, It appears I only need to swap to a front drum and I'm GP legal. The rest of my bike looks pretty much like your Hondas, but not as LOUD. I already have a disc front end on it so it might be a winter project for next year to swap the brake. Your Honda CB front drum looks like it works well and they are the same size axle as my forks. I suppose whatever I find cheap at that time is what I'll use.
    I'll be at Roebling. I wanted to go to Road Atl but I failed to request the time from work. It's another long drive for me. But I may feel "sick" by then. :rolleyes:

Mark

2. CharlieY

CharlieY Well-Known Member

Cool, see you somewhere for sure mark.:up:

3. YAM#849

YAM#849 y'all watch this...

Mark,
    What is your bike? A DS-7?

4. mgmark

mostly.....;)

[​IMG]

5. charles

charles The Transporter

Is that one of those drag-racing struts attached to the bottom rear of the bike?

6. mgmark

why, yes it is! it helps me to corner low........

7. Hate McDead

Hate McDead Well-Known Member

Hey Vintage Guys. Sounds like the Barber event was awesome. I really had hoped to join the fray and had even pre-registered but things didn't turn out like I wanted.

I virtually missed the whole week of work from the flu but started to rally Friday afternoon. I realized that there was no way I could drive the 12 hours to Barber from Michigan so I lowered my sights on a more local track, Nelson Ledges, which is only 4 hours away. (And sadly, I admitt that my days of driving all night to race are probably over.) So I loaded up with my still flu induced fatigue and left my house about 9 PM to head over there. I was still on the mend but drove most of the way there before packing it in at a hotel near Cleveland. (Yes the days of sleeping in the car are over too.) Genereal weariness kept me from getting up on time and I got to the track late. Too late to get any practice in especially since my vintage bike battery was back home so I had to jury rig something which took extra time.

There was good racing in my 2 classes, 350GP & 500GP, with long time stalwat WERA racers like Joe Clancy, Joe Traino and Bucky Sexton putting up good battles on their Hondas. And it's amazing how quickly one forgets their woes when on the track and having fun.

My bike ran good until the near the end of the second race when a piece of the exhaust valve took a flyer and left me wondering why I didn't seem to have any go juice as the motor went flat,, musta been a compression thing. This was just after Joe Traino stuffed me up the inside of turn 1 to take the lead and then the win. And even though I motored home for a second, it was great to fight the good fight out on the track again.

All in all, there was good racing at Nelson for a WERA regional and it was good to get out to start the season. I had hoped to dice it up with all the Southern Boys and played the role of the Yankee Spoiler at Barber; guess I'll just have to wait until next year. It sounds like it was a great event and I'm glad that it went off so well. Hopefully there will be other WERA events we can play at together. I'm looking forward to the GNF this year, for sure.

See you all out there!!!

Last edited: May 8, 2010
  8. CharlieY

Dr McDead, sorry you missed Barber, and for your ilness...but glad you made it to a track anyhow!

Hey Mark, who is that dodgie lookin guy with the pork-chop sideburns in your pic?.....he looks kinda shady...:D

9. mgmark

Another one of the many Honda 350 guys. They all kinda look like that but they're fun to hang around with. They were all swapping parts around so much it was hard to tell who had which parts on what bike........

Mark

10. CharlieY

Yeah, prolly shooting myself in the foot, and Chas autta be along here any minute....but its almost like we brought a parts bike to the track, huh?:eek:

Being totally honest....it became a parts bike last year at the FFTP Vintage challenge also!.....lemme see....2009: Shocks on one bike (bennett), Carbs on another (brenton).....2010: Pipes on Middleton, Carbs on Donavon.

Jeesh, I autta be charging!

Lets just say I've had some tough luck at this event.....aint gonna stop me from tryin tho. :up:

Last edited: May 10, 2010
  11. charles

charles The Transporter

I thought all of the Honda 350s were parts bikes! :D

12. CharlieY

I knew you wouldnt let me down Holmes. :up:

Maybe someday I'll be able to keep a race schedule like yours....:D

13. charles

charles The Transporter

I've been a regular at the Hampster races...:p

14. CharlieY

Most important part is....I hear you're pretty fast.:bow:

15. charles

charles The Transporter

That was years ago...now, I just watch over my Hampster stables and manage the betting.

16. CharlieY

You never cease to amaze me with your versitility, sir.

Whom do you employ to clean the pens?....I just have a hunch its someone I know.:D

17. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

Only 4-stroke riders are qualified for this job. I heard Triumph riders are especially talented in this capacity. :D

18. CharlieY

Hey Joe, you are'nt saying 2 stroke guys are not even qualified to scoop hampster poop, are you? ;)

Good seeing ya man, the bike looked like it ran good. :up:

19. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

Charles hires 2-stroke riders to supervise the 4-stroke riders in this capacity. It keeps harmony in the workplace this way.

Good seeing you too. The old RZ ran great. The new bike ran great until an o-ring failed in the cylinder head causing water to be pushed into the overflow tank. No big deal really. If that's my only teething problem than I'll be a happy man. It was really fun and easy to ride in practice though.

20. CharlieY

:crackup::crackup: you boys are keelling me!....harmony amongst hampster pooper scoopers?....:wow: In which direction do you think it will go when the poop starts flying?...

I better get back to work here....uuhhhmm...:beer: