1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

3 deg frame twist - race it?

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Dave Wolfe, Aug 11, 2018.

1. Dave Wolfe

Dave Wolfe I know nuttin!

Im out of my element on this one. My steering stem is twisted 3 degrees sideways (left or right). Is this something you guys would race on? Or... Should I not even think about it? Any tricks to make it rideable?

2. JBowen33

JBowen33 Only fast on Facebook

Get a new frame.

3. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

4. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

^^^^^ This....

5. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

Kent at GMD

Jon Wilkens likes this.
  6. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

a 3 deg change in rake would make a bike feel completely different. i couldnt imagine riding a bike w/ 3 degrees laterally.

7. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

So, here's the classic "It depends on your pace" comment: My supermoto started life with a 5 degree twist and 14mm lateral offset on the steering neck. I rode it like that for a few years never noticing anything was wrong as a dirt bike. When I went to sumo it I had GMD measure it at the track for giggles to see how far off 1992 geometry was from modern machines. PK called me right over after I left the bike with him to point out the obvious, visible twist in the front when he put the bike up on jack stands. It was comical and blatantly obvious once pointed out, dunno how I had never spotted it before but well, I'm slow in the dirt. :D AFAIK it's still the worst frame he's straightened that was still being ridden and was able to be rolled in to the garage for measurement.

8. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

3 degrees......I wouldnt be suprised if any of my bikes were around that.Granted most of mine are FZRs and have been around the block a time or 3. I'd at least send it out to one of the frame guys as mentioned for a safety measure.Newer sportbike frames seem to sacrifice tensile strength for stiffness and lightness,and seem like they crack more than older frames that had more forgiveness. Stress cracking would be my biggest concern.

9. Mran556

Mran556 Well-Known Member

Does anyone know a shop in the midwest that does frame straightening?

Im in WI

10. Dave Wolfe

Mran556 likes this.
  11. galloway840

galloway840 Well-Known Member

12. Jon Wilkens

Jon Wilkens Well-Known Member

Kent at GMD ATL. He has fixed my SV and I've gone quicker at every track since. Well worth the money to get it fixed and set up correctly.

13. Dave Wolfe

Follow up - in my case, it was a matter of the motor mounts at the cyl head being shifted a bit from my crash. Loosening up those bolts fixed the twist.

Boman Forklift likes this.
  14. kiggy74

kiggy74 As useful as an...