1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

3.0 liter diesel half tons - real world experience

Discussion in 'General' started by nlzmo400r, Feb 19, 2020.

?

Which and why?

1. GMC - like a Chevy, but nicer and worth the extra $

18.8%
  2. Chevy - same as the GMC but cheaper

21.9%
  3. Ford - Something about strokin'

21.9%
  4. RAM - You spend all your time driving in the truck and it has the nicest interior

37.5%
  1. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

Or can call my buddy at emissions services unlimited and have him add the emissions control to your existing truck.

Phl218 likes this.
  2. casjoker

casjoker Refusing middle age

30mpg is dam impressive. What is your in-town driving vs HWY percentages?

3. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Please give me his contact info. I haven't researched this, but was told by someone else, you end up putting a huge amount of money into an old pile of a truck and you would be much better off upgrading? I should find out the $ before assuming it isn't a viable option?

I will guess/assume that normally an aftermarket emissions solution isn't going to be as robust as the factory stuff, but possibly this is a viable work-around.

tony 340 and cav115 like this.
  4. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

Haven`t heard of it.

Could be a good solution, need to look at warranty on system, history of service, of course.

Boman Forklift likes this.
  5. masshole

masshole sixoneseven

Just curious- what is it rated for towing?

I'm somewhat considering the new Suburban with the diesel but not sure if they'll get up there in towing like Ford did with the Expedition.

6. tony 340

Just asked as i havent spoke with him in a while.

It isn't really a service he does these days because was cost prohibitive. They have done it in the past but is not cheap.

7. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

W
    I’m guessing that will have me pick up a used newer model at some point.

when I bought my forklift company in 05 it came with a ratty old 79 Ford rollback with a big gas engine. I’m be if my employees over revived it and blew it up. I rebuilt it and put I in a rev limiter. Within another year or two had problems again....can’t actually remember now but might have blown again?

bought my 98 international in 08 with 2xxmiles and it has 399k on it now. Been pretty reliable but have replaced a clutch, paid for a trans rebuild, and we have replaced the rear brake calipers numerous times.

I actually figured I would get another 5-10 years out of it

8. tony 340

If you are in Cali it sounds like you need a truck newer than 2012

9. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

I think around 10,000.

masshole likes this.
  10. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

9300# payload 1870#

Both impressive numbers for a light duty truck.

11. ineedanap

ineedanap Well-Known Member

Impressive isn't the word I'd use...

That's 2000lbs less than the little V8 option. Its 4000lbs less than the big V8

FWIW, those numbers are almost identical to my wife's SUV.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2020
  12. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

LOL....dude, we get it, you're a 3/4-1 ton beast who only wants the best of the best......even if you're not involved in a career that requires it. Some people want a truck for the occasional convenience of picking up items for home/yard projects and/or maybe tow their 3-7K pound enclosed trailer to the track in relative comfort....OK? Try picking up a large appliance or pallet of sod in your wife's SUV. :rolleyes:

13. ineedanap

No, I'm just trying to make sure noone makes the same mistake I did when I bought a lil' diesel instead of the V8 option.

Seriously, it was one of the few vehicle regrets in my life. :)

14. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

Man up and SELL IT!!! I mean who's stopping you from selling it and buying what you want?!?!? And don't go saying the lil lady, that'll wreak havoc on your masculinity and the whole gotta buy a HD truck thing. :Poke: :P

I bought the EcoD cuz I wanted a truck for picking up supplies for projects I keep getting myself knee deep in every yr. I LOVED the fact that this thing gets over 20MPG no matter where it's driven (personal best is roughly 25-26MPG highway), it drives more like a car/SUV than any HD truck I've been in, in the last decade. Until just recently, I LOVED my truck! But the FCA/EPA BS ruined what was once loved by many EcoD owners. Overall, it's still a decent mode of transportation, my MPG is closer to 20-22, now that they remapped the f'ing ECU....hence my interest in learning about other HALF TON "LIL" DIESELS! ;)

15. ineedanap

I replaced the lil' diesel with the identical V8 gas model within 18 months. I don't have time for shit vehicles.

LOL. I currently drive a 2 door wrangler. Pretty sure it has a minivan motor, and it doesn't hurt my masculinity. If I need HD truck, I borrow one. That's what friends are for. :)

Sorry your diesel is just decent. That's how I felt about mine too. Love the V8 and eco boost motors though.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2020
  16. ScottyRock155

ScottyRock155 A T-Rex going RAWR!

You're right, some of the gas engines will tow more according to rated capacity, but if you're buying a half ton gas truck to tow a 13k pound trailer you're gonna have a bad time.

ineedanap likes this.
  17. ineedanap

Might have a bad time, but theoretically you could do it. Can't do that with a lil' diesel. Not even close.

FWIW I agree with you though.

18. ScottyRock155

ScottyRock155 A T-Rex going RAWR!

Can't is a strong word. I live in Alabama, I've seen people try to tow a 13k pound trailer with an 85 Monte Carlo cause she got a V8 in her. :D

19. vfrket

vfrket Lost Member

@backcountryme how's mileage going? Or are you on lockdown too? Really thinking about pulling trigger on LTZ today

nlzmo400r likes this.
  20. nlzmo400r

nlzmo400r Well-Known Member

0% for 84mos now right? Lol. Deals are going to be crazy if this keeps up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk