1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

3.0 liter diesel half tons - real world experience

Discussion in 'General' started by nlzmo400r, Feb 19, 2020.

?

Which and why?

1. GMC - like a Chevy, but nicer and worth the extra $

18.8%
  2. Chevy - same as the GMC but cheaper

21.9%
  3. Ford - Something about strokin'

21.9%
  4. RAM - You spend all your time driving in the truck and it has the nicest interior

37.5%
  1. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Unfortunately the laws on diesels have changed out here. On my commercial rollback I have to either put in a new engine, or buy a truck with 2010 emissions or newer. I presume anything that new 2010 and up has def and issues, is that correct?

cav115 likes this.
  2. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

Yes.

Are you telling me you cannot buy anything before a 2010??

3. roy826ex

roy826ex Been around here a while

I’d up and move! Hate being told what to do on my dime. Ain’t right!

Glad none of that bullshit goes on here. Hell I’d have to get rid of all my motorcycles and truck.

4. Boman Forklift

Yes.

5. Boman Forklift

I love so much about this place (mostly weather and so many things to do) and believe me when I was transferred here from Texas I didn't want to go. I started dating my wife 4 weeks before I got notice of the transfer back and by then I knew she was the one.

Having said that I was shocked they could legally pull this shit. Always in the past you only had to meet the emissions of the year of manufacture. However, CARB and AQMD and whoever else managed to slide this through so even little guys like me are screwed. If I only use it 1000 miles per year then I can fill out a bunch of paperwork every year documenting that and continue to use it. I can't license out of state, because supposedly even out of state truckers with older than 2010 engines will only be allowed 1000 miles in the state and have to document whenever they drive in this state. I don't know anything about how strictly that will be enforced.

6. Phl218

Phl218 .

What are they doing with trucks coming out of Mexico then?

7. roy826ex

roy826ex Been around here a while

I feel your pain just reading all that. Unreal with what that state pulls off.

Sounds like y’all need to start voting a new thinking hat into office(s). ;)

8. Boman Forklift

I think this state is way too blue for that to happen. I live in Orange County, they used to call the border from LA to Orange the Red Curtain. Last election I think all congressional seats but one went blue. Pretty sad to me, but heck my wife is blue and if I can live with a very moderate Democrat, I can surely live in a slightly Democrat county.

It’s interesting hearing her talk and complain about many things Republicans complain about.....and I tell her she is turning. Hahahaha

9. ineedanap

ineedanap Well-Known Member

1/2 ton diesels suck. Gutless wonders that don't do anything when you mash the gas, unlike their V8 and eco boost counterparts. My 5.7 hemi ran circles around my 3.0 Eco-diesel, whether the trailer was hooked up or not.

Diesel torque monster...LOL. My Ford gas Ecoboost also puts out more torque than the 1/2 ton diesel counterpart.

These 1/2 ton offerings are literally half the size of their "real" 3/4 ton diesel counterparts, so don't lie to yourself that your 1/2 ton oil burner is badass. Yea, about as badass as a Ninja 300 in C superstock.

Just throwing out a counterpoint so take it for what it's worth. :)

Last edited: Feb 29, 2020
    ducnut likes this.
  10. Phl218

Phl218 .

Not sure who ever claimed they were badass

for me personally it’s a vehicle size and engine that perfectly fits my needs and driving style

MachineR1, XFBO, Lawdog78 and 2 others like this.
  11. nlzmo400r

nlzmo400r Well-Known Member

I definitely wouldn’t consider the 1/2 ton diesels badass.. if anything the ubiquitous 400hp v8s are badass. But if the 3.0L diesels mean I can nearly double the range, and enjoy the turbo powered torque then I’m intrigued

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

XFBO likes this.
  12. vfrket

vfrket Lost Member

I'm with Phil, the 1/2 ton 3.0 Chevy would fit right in for me. I have a 2001 1500HD CC 6.0 that my 17yr old drives burning too much gas on city miles while I commute 35 miles 1 way in a V6 Accord getting 30-35 mpg. Swap the Accord to him and a new 1500 3.0 for me makes some sense. I can get 30mpg and he'd jump up to high 20s city. I had a 2005 2500 HD Duramax CC before, but the days of dreaming i need a big truck for a big trailer are gone.

13. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

This thread is a 2-stroke(gas)/4-stroke(diesel) argument. No one buys a small displacement 4-stroke to compete against even smaller displacement 2-strokes. What you're buying is, essentially, a pitbike. Stay outta the way!
    :D

Where's the bacon? :Poke:

14. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

I would love to have a 2-stroke diesel! :crackup:

Phl218 likes this.
  15. Phl218

Phl218 .

i had one for a couple months. 9 liter, roots blower, turbo

Detroit diesel

too bad it was in a slow chassis with tracks

16. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

Youneedanap ;)

Phl218 likes this.
  17. ineedanap

ineedanap Well-Known Member

nah, I am just stirring the pot to get the conversation back on track. :)

18. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Yeah, but only in a Tatra 813. :D

19. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

Wow.

That`s nuts.

20. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

Well, here is my 5000 mile update. I have driven my 2020 3.0l for about 5000 miles and have had no issues. I am averaging 30mpg. I am in love with this truck. Now, I do have the high country package, so it is very well equipped. The engine is smooth running, and goes forever on a tank. It has a ton of pull from a standing start, but it does lack a little of the go that my old gas truck had at highway speeds. I still love this 10 speed transmission too. It downshifts almost like an auto blip. Kinda cool. BTW, I picked the truck up on in early Feb, and already have 5000 miles on it. That is what happens when you take your new truck across the country right after picking it up.

cav115, vfrket, XFBO and 1 other person like this.