1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2nd gen SV set up questions

Discussion in 'Tech' started by jlogalbo, May 30, 2018.

1. jlogalbo

jlogalbo Well-Known Member

I am currently setting up a 2006 SV and could use a little direction

1) Gearing - need to order sprockets. Does anyone have a good base line? (yes I realize it can be dependent on the track, but just looking for a start)

2) Shock ride height..again anyone have a base line height?

Thank
    Joe

2. track wagon

track wagon MCAS MIRAMAR

Gearing. I have a 14 front and a 43 through 47 rear.

Other people run a 15 front and 46 47 48 rear.

15 47 and 14 44 is what I use 80 percent of the time other than chuckwalla I use one tooth higher in the rear.

3. jlogalbo

thank you thats what I needed

4. ineedanap

ineedanap Well-Known Member

The rear needs to be raised quite a bit. A 340mm long shock is a good starting point. I used to run 342mm and 30mm rear sag.

5. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

All you west coasters run short gearing with those mysterious stronger crankshafts that you have out there...... :)

rcarson15 and metricdevilmoto like this.
  6. track wagon

track wagon MCAS MIRAMAR

Hahah I cyro treated mine I guess we will see how it does. That gearing isnt short at all!! I would run even shorter without a superbike motor.

7. MurfSVR

MurfSVR Well-Known Member

I would set my Penske rear as long as Zoran would let me. Something about at least 5mm of thread needs to be in the lower clevis

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. jlogalbo

Ineedanap thank you

ineedanap likes this.
  9. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Well aren't you like 6 ft 8 inches tall?

10. track wagon

track wagon MCAS MIRAMAR

I am 6'7 230!

Boman Forklift likes this.
  11. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

On the subject of rear ride height- I added the GSXR rear wheel and that raised the rear by 16mm.

Also, my bike has the 707 Racing rear linkage. Does anyone have any experience with it? Penske with 750 spring.....seems like alot.

http://www.707racing.com/Products.html

12. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

For gearing I use 1-5th. Occasionally I tip into 6th. It usually doesn’t help.

badmoon692008 likes this.
  13. Dave675

Dave675 Well-Known Member

I run a 700 on my first gen. That linkage is supposed to make the second gen linear, like the first gen. Have you rode it yet? Have you checked the sag? Ryan at 707 is great to deal with. He has made many a parts for my sv.

14. track wagon

track wagon MCAS MIRAMAR

Why? That is a huge disadvantage!!!

15. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

Not necessarily. U’d need to do the math to see the diff in total drive force btw the 2 gearing combos. Rem, 5th has more drive force than 6th w the same gearing. Plus, there can be other issue with more shifting, esp on corner entry.

Phl218 likes this.
  16. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

I'm sure he was kinda joking, but at a lot of tracks it really does apply. I ran 15/45 on my SS SV all last year and didn't really find myself wanting different gears. At Barber you can easily just use 5 gears. Have a 47 on order now to play with. FWIW my bike is basically stock with a slip on and good suspension.

17. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

I have not reached out yet to 707 yet.

That was my basic question, does the linkage make the required spring rate higher? I rode the bike this weekend, it feels pretty good, but the front is too stiff. Zero preload on 1.1 springs, ak-20 kit. Front doesn't want to stay down, bounces right back up. I added some rebound to help keep it down a bit as a bandaid until I can get some springs.

Rear felt good though!

18. track wagon

track wagon MCAS MIRAMAR

I use the gearing commander website and just go off of that. I have had good luck with using all 6 gears on my bike. Everyone is different tho and have a different taste for things. I am huge so I try to keep the bike in the upper rpm range as much as I can so I do shift alot.

19. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

gearingcommander doesn't calculate drive force. the math is more complicated than what they are doing and it depends on your dyno numbers too. there are some online calculators that can do the math, but ive only seen them calculate shift points. because of all that and all the other factors that come into it, its easier to try one tooth taller and check the lap time and GPS data.

I race against plenty of ppl that think they should gear to almost top out 6th at the end of every straight. thats prob the worst rule of thumb one could ever use for gearing. they are slower because of it. I know u didnt say exactly that, but ya. I generally run a lot taller than that to prevent excessively high RPMs in corners since that kills my apex speed and forces me to shift too soon out of the corner.

20. track wagon

track wagon MCAS MIRAMAR

Makes sense. Do you race an SV? And where ?