1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

29 Dreams Racing - Road Atlanta Cycle Jam '06

Discussion in 'Race Reports' started by Ryan Nelson, Jul 4, 2006.

1. Ryan Nelson

Ryan Nelson Well-Known Member

I've got a race report posted at:
    http://www.29dreamsracing.com/racereports.htm
    and video of the D Superbike Expert race at:
    http://www.29dreamsracing.com/videos/2006.07.01RADSUPER.wmv

I was really looking forward to Cycle Jam at Road Atlanta. Road Atlanta is a track that really rewards horsepower and I was looking forward to comparing my bike to the other superbikes. I also was going to ride on Friday during a 6-hour endurance race on an R6 with Gill Gutchen, Scott Padgitt, and Dave Arkle.
    Tim & Kathy Langley, the owners of 29 Dreams, came over for dinner Wednesday night. The plan was to have dinner and then Tim would help me load up the race gear over a few beers. We pulled the bike out and I Tim pushed the start button for the obligatory pre-load bike start-up. The only the problem was the bike wouldn't start! We couldn't believe it! We ended up troubleshooting the bike for several hours and finally traced it down to broken wire at the ignition pickup on the crank. We rewired the electrical pickup, finally got everything loaded about 11:30pm, and I hit the bed exhausted.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Tim Langley wrenching on the FZR.

I got on the road after work on Thursday and drove over to my brother, Zack's, place in Atlanta. I replaced my windscreen at his place and fell into a deep sleep on his couch.
    Zack and I got up way way too early Friday morning and drove the hour to the track. Zack had taken the Friday off to help us crew for the endurance race. Dave Arkle, Scott Padgitt, Gill Cutchen, and I were going to run Gill's R6 in the 6 hour endurance.

[​IMG]
    Sean Clarke from WERA helped me set up my laptop for live timing and then Zack and I helped set up the endurance pits.
    [​IMG]
    Endurance practice rolled around about 10am and we rotated riding slots doing practice pit stops between riders. I got briefed by Scott on his shift points and I took to the track for a few laps. I never had hidden a bike with a speedometer around Road Atlanta before. I clicked 6th gear just before turn 9 and realized I was going 155 mph and about to bend it in. I actually let off of WFO for a second. I did a few laps, but was off the pace and at the same time looking to get really comfy on the bike for my 45-60 minute stint in the race. Gill took the start of the race, but there was a red flag on the first lap. He took the start for the 2nd time and put down a couple of good laps. Next thing we know Gill pulls the bike in after a minor crash. We fixed the broken front brake lever and rearset and sent Gill back out. Scott got on the bike after a quick fill of 4.5 gallons of gas and roared out of the pits. Scott advanced us a couple of positions but the motor blew going up turn 2. Scott successfully pulled in the clutch and stopped off the racetrack, but our day was done.
    [​IMG]
    Gill wondering how much bad karma a guy can have in a day.

It was disappointing, but at least we were all unhurt. It could always be worse. It was Gill's first endurance race, and I guarantee he'll never forget it!
    I brought Dan Pittman the next day to the track and he helped me get thru practice on my FZR400 superbike. It was evident my gearing needed a tooth less in the rear, but I couldn't fit a smaller sprocket on the rear because the chain was too short. I ended up getting a larger GSXR front sprocket from Dave Arkle (thanks, Dave!) and bolted it up while increasing the rear sprocket 2 teeth. The suspension felt good and I was ready to race but I still was off the pace I needed to run. Borge Larson was on fire and I was going to really have to push to keep up with him. I was watching the V7MW race Borge was racing in on our way to go get lunch and I noticed he didn't come back around the track. Dan and I drove up to turn 10 to see if we could find Borge. We pulled up and there Borg was laying on the ground past turn 10b. He was definitely hurt and we watched him get loaded in the ambulance after he woke up. He ended up breaking a collarbone, shoulder blade, and had a concussion. I probably didn't need to be watching with my race coming up in a couple of hours. Dan and I went and got lunch and I tried to get my head in the right place for the race. With Borge hurt I was just going to try to win, but I wasn't planning on hanging it all out. Road Atlanta can be a dangerous place in certain spots. We finally gridded up for our race with me on pole and Borge's spot next to me empty. Harry Wolle got the holeshot but I made a pass on the outside going up turn two and took the lead. We were already on the tail of the SV's gridded in front of us in their own race. Harry took over the lead at some point and the race was red flagged on the 2nd lap. We started again and I ended up 5th into turn one. Again the race was red flagged on the 2nd lap for another crash. We gridded up a 3rd time and I was 6th going into turn one. I worked my way thru the field with Tom Lees and I battling for position for a couple laps. I made my way up to Harry Wolle in first place but couldn't quite get to him. I took home 2nd place down 0.6 seconds behind Harry.
    Video of the race is posted at:
    http://www.29dreamsracing.com/videos/2006.07.01RADSUPER.wmv
    I took home valuable points, clinching the Mid-Cental D Superbike regional title. I'm also winning the Southeast region now that Borge is hurt, but I'm far from clinching. Hopefully Borge will heal up quick and give me a run for the Southeast title. We packed up all the gear and headed back to Zack's place in Atlanta and a concert at Chastain Park. Next race will be the first weekend in August at Jennings GP in Florida, which happens to be Borge's home track. Come on out at say "Hi" at the races! Thanks this weekend to Dan Pittman and Zack Nelson for so much help at the track.

2. Kris87

Kris87 Friendly Smartass

after watching that video, i do feel bad for the way you guys are gridded up. that traffic was insane on the 2ND LAP.

3. 976-FIZR

976-FIZR In transition...

Martha got some shots of you:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

-HJK

4. Ryan Nelson

Hey - thanks!!

5. Ryan Nelson

Howard - do you mind if I post these on my website?

6. TSWebster

TSWebster Well-Known Member

That first one sucks. Don't post it.:D
    Steve

7. Ryan Nelson

Maybe you'll like this one better from Vicki at VHS . . .

[​IMG]

:moon:

8. TSWebster

Not really. I have always been fond of this one, however. :Poke: Also from VHS
    [​IMG]

9. Ryan Nelson

Damn you - that was a previous bout we had at RA!

Here's a nice one taken by Joe Morris is 2002:

[​IMG]

This happened 15 miles from the house at the B'ham aiport when I drove under a bridge that was evidently too low. :) I was picking up Joe Morris to start our very fun 2002 season as endurance backmarkers. . . I was poor from day 1 :)
    This was just post 9/11 and the airport police were none too thrilled we didnt have any insurance papers and the truck and tow hauler were registered to someone other than us.

10. Ryan Nelson

Here's a good one of Henry Avello in 2001. Airports are always lots of fun . . .

[​IMG]

11. TSWebster

What a way to start the season, huh? You have your tools out and look like you're thinking "give me about 15 minutes and I'll have the a/c working again."
    Steve

12. Ryan Nelson

Not really - I was actually thinking, "Man - this sucks!! Quick - grab the camera . . ."

13. 976-FIZR

Sorry, man, I haven't seen this post in a while: yeah, go ahead, post away. If you want, PM me your e-mail address and I'll send you the originals. They're about 3Mb each (these I posted I re-sized).

-HJK

14. 976-FIZR

Here, Mr. Whiny-butt, is this better?
    [​IMG]

:D :beer: :p :Poke:

-HJK

15. TSWebster

Yeah, man. That picture rocks.:D

16. Ryan Nelson

Thanks - I went ahead and used them. I dont need the originals for web use.

17. Ryan Nelson

Ouch!