1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

24 hours in San Diego - Where to stay and what to do?

Discussion in 'General' started by pscook, Jan 15, 2021.

1. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

It’s like you have a sixth sense...

2. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Sure is a bummer to see SD sink... such a beautiful city.

MachineR1 likes this.
  3. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

Errrr...south. :Poke: :D

4. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Parasailing at Torrey Pines, if they're open.

5. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

dz akins for lunch if you can swing it...

6. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

From the north side of the lighthouse, you can take a road down.
    It's called cabrillo road and gets you down to the tidepools and new lighthouse.
    :D

Used to do bicycle hill climb intervals on it. It's steep and a bitch.

7. Jedb

The sunset from the glider port at Torrey Pines / Scripps is amazing if it's clear on the water.

8. dsapsis

Know that road well -- used to thrash that thing on my dad's Seca 750 (well, sorta :crackup:). Mom still lives on Santa Cruz Ave just off Catalina.
    San Diego has some really wonderful parts.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2021
  9. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

Indeed. It still is a great city but the writing is on the wall. If they continue to do nothing, in few more years it will look like LA.

I live in OB so the hippie bums kind of go with the territory. It used to bother me less, but the numbers are increasing. More homeless means more litter, more crime, and more encroachment on private property. I kick the same guy out of the walkway between my two neighbor's houses about once a week. It's his favorite place to piss evidently, and he hasn't one fuck to give that I yell at him. He just smirks and walks away because he knows there's nothing I can really do about it.

Bacon St between Newport and Santa Monica is a borderline encampment. There are no less than a dozen people who sleep there in makeshift bivys. Police told the store owner that he had no recourse because the sidewalk is public. With that attitude it's not hard to see what the future looks like.

motion likes this.
  10. hank748

hank748 Well-Known Member

Ride up to Julian and Palomar or out to Fonts Point in Borrego Springs...

SD was amazing in the late 70's and through most of the 80's... it has really gotten crowded relative to what it was, but that's all of Southern California.

11. Jedb

If you're in Julian, you should probably stop for apple pie (@Mongo - it's totally worth the trip)
    Or stop at Dudley's bakery on the way to Julian. :)

'sup, Hank :)

12. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

Likely no road trips, mostly just wandering around and catching up with my bud before we cross the border. Looking for cafes, sights, and whatnot on foot.

Crazy question: I see that there is a bus system in SD. Is it any good?

Edit: And a trolley system! Who needs wheels?

13. SLLaffoon

SLLaffoon Well-Known Member

Given what is shut down, I’m not sure I’d stay downtown if I were you. Then again, even when not shut down, downtown is a little crowded for my taste. If you’re on foot the whole time, la jolla is probably a nice all around hang-out spot. There’s a good mix of places to get food/drinks with beaches/overlooks that you can hang out, hike, walk around, and stuff without being too restricted by everything being locked down. That’s where the gliderport mentioned earlier is. There’s a short hike down to the beach from the gliderport also, but beware it’s a little rock scrambley and the northern section of the beach it leads to is a nude beach. I’m not sure if other Torrey Pines hikes are open, but they are a little farther north from the gliderport.

14. deathblow

deathblow Well-Known Member

Native San Diegan here.

For food try: Tacos El Gordo, Tsuruhashi Japanese BBQ, Los Quatros Milpas, Blue Water Seafood Grill, Mitches.

15. wera313

wera313 Well-Known Member

If you fish then a short trip on a day boat from one the landings would be how I’d spend a day. Assuming they can still run trips now...

maybe get you hooked enough for a long range trip

16. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

Damn bro. I guess if we're handing out all the local secrets, Yokohama next door to Tsuruhashi is fantastic also. :D

deathblow likes this.
  17. dsapsis

Another very good spot if you make it over to Liberty Station is Pt Loma Seafood on Emerson, but pscook is from Seattle, so maybe not a stretch for him.

JBraun -- hit up Poma's for a torpedo yet? That Mike's joint on Newport is well after my time and not visited in visits (but I have been to Cesarina's a number of times -- good stuff).

Last edited: Jan 16, 2021
  18. ton

ton Arf!

i still have PTSD

Jedb likes this.
  19. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

I'm flummoxed. Screenshot_20210308-164340(1).png

20. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!