1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

24 hours in San Diego - Where to stay and what to do?

Discussion in 'General' started by pscook, Jan 15, 2021.

1. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

I'm flying into San Diego in March for a Baja ride. I'm getting in a day early and will have from 10:00 AM until 10:00 AM available for personal shenanigans. I'm looking for suggestions on where to stay and what to do. I am on foot so I want to be in an area that has decent activities around the hotel.

I don't drink, so that narrows my selection a tiny bit, I assume. However, I love me a good (or even a marginal) bakery, and ice cream and other desserts are my kryptonite. Yes, I substituted one vice for another. Don't hate.

Anyway, ideas are welcomed and encouraged. Hotel names, eateries, and other places of interest (tourist stuff is cool). Or even just a general location to stay and I can source my own establishments.

2. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

How locked down is SoCal with the China cooties? Where do you meet up with your posse?

It's been a bit since I've been there but I really liked the gaslamp quarter. It's been a few years and I usually stayed at Holiday Inns / IHGs but I'm sure there are others here that know it much better then I do anymore..

I used to spend a lot of time out near the convention center but there's really not much there and the hotel I used to stay at there steadily went down hill.

3. L8RSK8R

L8RSK8R Well-Known Member

https://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/sancd-courtyard-san-diego-downtown/

Couple blocks south of hotel.
    https://www.ghirardelli.com/StoreLocations-SanDiego

Walk to Balboa Park, Seaport Village, USS Midway. Ferry to Coronado https://www.flagshipsd.com/cruises/coronado-ferry
    Borrow my bike if ya want to explore the beaches/boardwalks.
    30 minute cycle to Sunset Cliffs/Mission Beach, head north to Pacific Beach & La Jolla.

DESSERTS = http://extraordinarydesserts.com/
    Two locations, Little Italy & 4th Avenue. 4th Ave location is very close to Balboa Park.

Attached Files:

4. 05Yamabomber

05Yamabomber Dammit Haga

We are in full lockdown. No outdoor dining. Although some are "peaceful protesting" to remain open and serve food and drinks. I dont think hotels are open to stay at but havent been following that too close.

5. 05Yamabomber

05Yamabomber Dammit Haga

Im pretty sure the USS Midway museum is closed. Seaport village may be open. Those are all great choices but understand we are locked down. Although once we get into February things will magically get better quickly.

6. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

Thanks for the offer! I'll have a buddy with me, so I'll need a second bike. I'll look for rentals. Like the Marriott location and the ferry recommendation is perfect.

I am meeting my posse either at the airport or other "TBD" location, then parking at the truck stop (get bikes and gear) to ride south across the border. It's an annual trip for us, but I grabbed an extra day to chillax before I , uh, continue to chillax.

7. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

What's the converted Navy base with the artsy stuff? I was there a couple of years ago, nice location. It looks like @Dave K picked the Gaslamp Quarter as a winner for stuff to do.

8. L8RSK8R

Last edited: Jan 15, 2021
    pscook likes this.
  9. socalrider

socalrider pathetic and rude

Welp, all my brewery recommendations are out the window.

the above suggestions are all good, currently restaurants are offering takeout but no dining indoor or outdoor. i think you are in PNW right? so legal weed probably isnt a big deal for you then, otherwise there are some dispensaries about to help with that chillaxing. (if you partake).

gas lamp has great food, hell all of downtown has great food. i would try to get out to chula vista for tacos el gordo, http://tacoselgordobc.com/locations/ (H street location) or if you want amazing mexican closer to downtown, definitely order from Cuatro Milpas http://www.las-cuatro-milpas.com/

seaport village is cool to walk around, its an outdoor shopping center located directly adjacent to the USS Midway so just the view of the ship is pretty badass. Liberty station is great, and if your day is a weekend there will be lots and lots of scenery there :D

Senna and pscook like this.
  10. L8RSK8R

Milpas = hell yeah.

11. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

I've always heard the San Diego Zoo is one of the best in the world if that's your thing. Would like to go there myself one day.

Gixxerguy855 and Senna like this.
  12. socalrider

socalrider pathetic and rude

recently, it was confirmed the gorillas have covid. not sure who stuck a qtip up their nose but i dont envy that person.

anyway the zoo is amazing. so is the "safari park" but that is a long drive, out from downtown.

13. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

Zoo is closed. Ah well...

But thanks for the rest of the recommendations. I'll be checking back in the next few weeks.

14. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

No one has brought up Jason Russell or South Park yet?

Jackin' It in San Diego. :crackup::crackup:

15. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

It's been awhile since I've been this tempted to just post a video and take the ban.

With the recent football thread purge, Phil's place is pretty happening right now I suppose

16. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

No need to take the hit, I put it the south park video in the youtubes thread. :D

17. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

:offtopic: Better to stick the QTip up a Gorilla's nose than his ass......he may want to return the favor, and if that's NOT your thing....... :oops:

18. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

La Posta #8 in Hillcrest.
    Great for late night mexican food.

Go to the lighthouse out on Point Loma. Great view north and over the whole bay.

19. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

If its warm, rent a moto from Turo and explore the twisty roads to the east. Everything is shutdown downtown and I would imagine the homeless and crackheads have taken over the place.

MachineR1 likes this.
  20. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

We’re pretty shut down as mentioned so not drinking won’t affect you, and much of the good food is street food anyway.

The downtown spots are great but everything there is closed. Since it’s only one night, I’d splurge on the Pacific Terrace in PB. It’s a pretty casual, but upscale beachfront hotel and PB is as walkable as it gets. May as well be at the beach where at least there’s scenery in many forms. :D

If you rent bikes, from there you can ride the boardwalk down to Mission Beach, cross the bridge and over the channel and follow the bike trail back west to dog beach. Now you’re in OB, so grab a taco at mikes and take the short ride north to sunset cliffs to have lunch with a view.

If you want a good restaurant dinner, check out Cessarina in Point Loma. Phenomenal Italian joint that is just as good as carry out. They also have incredible gelato for your sweet tooth.

L8RSK8R likes this.