1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2022 Moto America Daytona 200 provisional tech regs..

Discussion in 'General' started by regularguy, Oct 5, 2021.

1. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

Lots of changes with the FIM supersport rules package. Link to rules can be found on the MA competitor information page

KneeDragger_c69 and ajcjr like this.
  2. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

Some interesting changes for this year. Pit lane speed limit, fueling while tire changes, and no tire change on the red flag. The 65 rider limit might play a factor, in past years there was more than that in some sessions.

Daytona 200 Sporting Overview

The American Motorcyclist Association and MotoAmerica are confirming the Daytona 200 sporting regulations. To allow teams to plan, this summary serves as an outline.

1. Pit Lane Speed a. 60 kph

2. Fueling procedure
      a. 6 persons allowed over the wall once the rider enters pit lane
      b. One person must be dedicated ONLY to fire extinguisher while fueling, may be the rider but must not be

doing any other tasks.
      c. May fuel and change tires/repairs at the same time

i. No tire warmers or other items plugged into electrical outlets while fueling ii. Pneumatic tools are allowed

3. Red flag
      a. May refuel and repair, may not change tires

4. Qualification percentage a. 110%

b. Provisional starts may be applied for by those 1:59.99 and lower

5. Grid density
    a. Max 65 starters and participants in each practice session

KneeDragger_c69 likes this.
  3. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Interesting that you can make repairs, but not change tires during a red flag? Curious to why you'd impose that restriction?

4. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

It keeps the playing field level if someone pits and changes tires right before a red flag. If you don't have this rule teams that didn't come in yet would have an advantage. Also teams that can afford more tires get an advantage, because they would go ahead and change out a tire with just 4 or 5 laps on it.

backbone likes this.
  5. tgold

tgold Well-Known Member

"I'm not changing tires. I'm repairing my wheels."

notbostrom likes this.
  6. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

Yeah, I am pretty sure anyone pulling a wheel off for repair will be watched like a hawk to make sure the same tire ends up back on the bike. Also knowing the penalty for getting caught would likely be disqualification, I don’t think anyone would risk it.

7. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

So if you damage a rim you have to unmount and remount a tire.. better off taking the green on the bad rim and pulling right back in I guess

8. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

Think about the scenario you just described ...

MELK-MAN likes this.
  9. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

Depending how fast you can go with no air in the tire... Past my bedtime

GM GIXXER, MELK-MAN and Kev59 like this.
  10. metricdevilmoto

Agreed. Proper past. Rest up and revisit this in the morning.

Gino230 likes this.
  11. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

Maybe he was talking about unsightly scratched wheels. Micky Mouse operation looks bad to the sponsors.;)

baconologist likes this.
  12. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

So engine swaps still good? :D

2011-daytona2003.jpeg

13. metricdevilmoto

We did make the point in the shop, amongst us heathens, about it taking 4 cylinders to win the 200.

cBJr, badmoon692008, 2blueYam and 2 others like this.
  14. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Very astute observation....and in this case 2 crankshafts lol.

But there's always a caveat ;)

[​IMG]

The Beer Hunter, 5axis and stk0308 like this.
  15. Dave Wolfe

Dave Wolfe I know nuttin!

Hold my beer!!!

16. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

I hate to even say this, but a no tire change rule would prevent the P brand riders from throwing on the SC0 in the event of a 2-3 lap sprint to the end.. The argument could be made that the D riders could throw on a softie also...

MELK-MAN likes this.
  17. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

It's great that the 200 is a open championship but are you saying that someone may put on a non Daytona spec tire on during the 200, because I would doubt that would happen?

18. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

This rule was very helpful for the privateers who don't practice pit stops to perfection. There was usually one red flag, and the free tire change was great. Last year I did the race, I took advantage and only had one pit stop under green for fuel. I think my guys could do a rear change in about 15 seconds, which takes at least 15 laps to make back.

Honestly, I think they should make you race the tire you qualify on. In past years, guys used standard tires for 2-3 laps to get the Rolex. We'll see how tightly they control the tires- since tires are unlimited, I'm not sure they're using tire stickers- or checking compounds.

19. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

As I was looking through the provisional regs, it appears that spec tires are still required for Daytona. Dunlop?

20. metricdevilmoto

This is an open tire event.

MELK-MAN likes this.