1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2022 MA Daytona 200

Discussion in 'General' started by Pneumatico Delle Vittorie, Jan 7, 2022.

1. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

that’s exactly what I was talking about with what else is legal. I thought I read the gsxr 750 was legal for the 200 and the MA “middle weight” class.

2. Monsterdood

Monsterdood Well-Known Member

A few of the bikes can be competitive until a balancing factor gets applied. Boiling down bike advantage versus rider advantage would seem to be pretty tough.

3. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

Alot of the guys running the SOT1 or Formula Thunder classes are using bikes that are 2-3 classes down. And in the practice sessions it's worse, there's a ridiculous mix of bikes. AHRMA does have fast guys, but there's a large number who are considerably slower, that's what I meant. #Traffic.

4. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

It has a lot of CCs, so there's that.

5. Manxboy

Manxboy Well-Known Member

Josh did a 1.49.8 Sunday afternoon pushing his own air.
    They had a lot of personnel there over from Italy, they’re serious about getting that bike competitive. What I saw over the weekend it’ll be right there.

ajcjr, Gino230 and henry_carlson like this.
  6. grasshopper

grasshopper Well-Known Member

evakat likes this.
  7. grasshopper

Is MA going to let the Ducati V2 race unneutered for the 200 to see how it stacks up against the 600s? It seams like it's a perfect opportunity for this especially considering the race doesn't count towards championship points.

8. rafa

rafa Well-Known Member

I was thinking the same thing.

If they dont have detuned rules yet, racing a GSXR750 for this one race might be the perfect storm. Since the motor would be mostly stock, it will be super reliable and should make enough power to compete with the more strung out 600s.

badmoon692008 likes this.
  9. grasshopper

From a fan / enthusiast perspective it seem like a perfect opportunity to see how all of the new Supersport Next Generation bikes perform in relation to the traditional 600s. I'm guessing they use this info as a base line on how to setup the rules for the championship.

10. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

I did Road America a couple of years ago and Formula Thunder was nuts. The closing speeds on the straights at times were close to 80 mph in difference. Guys were out there on some clapped-out Ninjas when Panigale's were sucking the paint off as they went buy.

There are some guys who have talent out there for sure. Then there are others that are really there to circulate and do parade laps.

Gino230 and 5axis like this.
  11. Monsterdood

Monsterdood Well-Known Member

I started racing an EX500 and we were always the 2nd wave to bigger bikes at Willow. I learned quick to not use up all the track on corner exit to give Kopecky room to fly by me there if needed. On corner entry, likewise, don’t use every last bit of track to setup for a corner in case the big boys needed to pass me on the inside and the outside.

But that was because those missing fractions of a second paled in comparison to my slowness overall so it helped make sure I came home from chasing plastic trophies.

12. Hyperdyne

I understood very quickly that if you bring a modern bike to an AHRMA race, you are not the target audience (obviously). Those guys are there to race historic bikes and they do a nice thing by letting some modern bikes in. They don't have to do that as they aren't hurting for entries. But it is pretty cool to see some of the older bikes compete against the modern ones. Like when Dale Quarterly brings out an 888 SBK and humbles the entire field.

That being said, it's a nice group and a fun time but if you choose to race a modern big bike, it is good to keep in mind what the field looks like.

noles19, 5axis, Gino230 and 1 other person like this.
  13. grasshopper

I've seen in many instances that the motorcycle isn't necessarily the relic in AHRMA. It's the RIDER!

TLR67 likes this.
  14. Hyperdyne

Very true. However, if you make the mistake of assuming some of those codgers still can't boogie, you'll get humbled pretty quick. Ol' Dale will still hurt your feelings without thinking twice :D

stk0308 and grasshopper like this.
  15. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

He's used another rider as a berm more than once. Shouldn't have been an issue for him

16. G2G

G2G I feel the need

Yep Josh did click off a 1:49 this last weekend. Was racing there also and got to meet and talk to him for a bike at tech. Ducati brought out some techs from WSB and alot of other supporting personel. Yes AHRMA does have some crazy closing speeds as I was on a motard clicking off 2:15's while he wizzed by me clicking off a 1:50. JH.jpg

YamahaRick likes this.
  17. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

Running sound of thunder 1 with motard seemed like a interesting decision

18. G2G

G2G I feel the need

I agree.

noles19 likes this.
  19. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

They probably combined that with Motard class. LOL I remember many occasions AHRMA would have my 675 out there with some Vintage class and it was like rolling chicanes everywhere. The most fun is Barber after lap 3 when you already get into lappers and theres 100 bikes on track. Go from running 30's to 35's in no time.

20. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

They did and it makes no sense to me, sound of thunder 3? Sure but not 1