1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2020 NFL Thread

Discussion in 'General' started by Dave K, Sep 20, 2020.

1. BigBird

BigBird blah

Dunking actually takes into account running the entire floor and making a plan to dunk, either fast break, or backing someone down or a breakdown in defense.

3-point chucking is just that. run to half court and shoot. Who cares if there's no one on your team under the basket to rebound the ball, i'll just stop and shoot. I'll pass on that.

2. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I've tried to watch the orange bouncy ball game over the last few years. Just can't. HS, college, pro, even the WNBA. Just can't get into it.

and that from a guy who will watch damn near any baseball game that's on the TV (except for the Yankees of course).

BigBird likes this.
  3. mpusch

mpusch Well-Known Member

This is the year!!!

:crackup:

tjnyzf, masshole and Sabre699 like this.
  4. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Dolphins/ Jags tonight. Think that gag on the final drive pissed them off. We'll see.
    Still liking Gardner Minshew but his height is more of a factor with him than say Drew Brees.

5. OGs750

OGs750 Well-Known Member

Ok boomer. Those are the same arguments people used when the 3-point line was introduced into the league. :Poke::p

6. BigBird

BigBird blah

I'm in my 40s, so not quite boomer. I played on my varsity basketball team, and against future NBA players. Attended summer camp with them. At least one of them became a world champion, made at least a hundred million USD, others were first round picks. I was pretty decent for being all of 5'8.

The game that I knew and love all of a sudden has turned into using half the court instead of the full court. Watching the MJ special (even though I was not a Bulls fan) brought back memories of how the game was played and the beauty in actually playing defense and running plays. Now you have James Harden flopping on the ground or talking 3 steps backwards. Players pulling up from Half Court and more than 60% of the time it's a miss with a long rebound out the other way and then what...A half court shot and long rebound. Puh--lease

I tried to coach boy's basketball, and when they all wanted to pull up from Half court, I was done.

7. Sabre699

That sucks worse than the Jets.

BigBird likes this.
  8. brex

brex Well-Known Member

The early 00s when defense started becoming against the rules is when I lost interest. The thug and political BS meant I won't find that interest.
    Let's see these current losers play against real old school defense rules and guys like Ewing, Oakley, Lambier, Kareem, Parish, Walton, Eaton, Malone (either one), Barkley, Rodman, hell a huge list of names from the 70s through 90s.
    Guys like Doctor J, Magic, Bird, Clyde, 'Nique, Jordan played against some serious defense and took some beatings. The game was amazing to watch at one point. The team play, individual play within the teams, etc.
    The game simply doesn't compare today.

9. OGs750

OGs750 Well-Known Member

You don't like change, got it. I grew up in Chicago during the MJ Bulls run and I'm also nostalgic about how the game looked back then, but the league has changed and teams either adapt of they lose. Now I'm not arguing for the James Harden iso flop style of game which I think is bullshit, but players are getting really good at hitting 3's from distance so why not use it if you can? If anything it forces defenses to cover a larger part of the floor. FWIW the best team of the last decade is a product of the Jackson/Bulls triangle system.

If Jordan played today I guarantee that he'd learn to shoot from range. To him it wasn't about style, it was about winning.

10. COOP 1

COOP 1 Well-Known Member

+ 1

11. Sabre699

I'm with Bird. ALL the big guys are skyscrapers with 5' legs and to raise the hoop and lenghten / widen the court would be refreshing.

12. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

The team game and great passing are lost. It is almost all one on one stuff and all about the "Star" now and has been for a while. The don't touch the "Star" or you will get a foul stuff is almost as bad as the don't touch the QB rules in football. At least the later is somewhat in the name of safety and really the survival of the league and game.
    NBA has not really interested me in decades. College B-ball is getting almost as bad.

13. COOP 1

COOP 1 Well-Known Member

14. Sabre699

Oh you know...being one of the entitled fucks bullshitting the people. Same old.....

15. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

The solution to this is to remove the 3 point bucket.

OGs750 and BigBird like this.
  16. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

The 3 point shot is an awesome player strategy; if you don't make it, that's OK cause it is a hard shot. If you do make it, you're a hero. A clear strategy in favor of taking the shot.

17. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Make it minus one point if you miss from out there. minus 2 points from another circle a few feet further.

Just spitballing.

18. BigBird

BigBird blah

player...yes...team..no, for this fan definitely not. And even before this Covid year, the NBA had seen a decline in viewers, some of it may be China, but some of it may be the game sucks to watch to the average fan.

19. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

My story is nearly identical to big birds except I’m way taller :)

The lack of defense is the biggest killer of the game. Prime Gary Payton or John Stockton with 90s rules would create all kinds of havoc with these teams.

BigBird likes this.
  20. Sabre699

Jags couldn't even keep pace with the Dolphins.
    They're sucking like the Joisey teams. Damn...

BigBird likes this.