1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Discussion in 'General' started by notbostrom, Apr 5, 2020.

1. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

As they are practically giving them away what's everyone's opinion of those who own one?

2. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Had a 2011 Laredo V6. It was a decent ride, served me well enough...pulled my 6x10 enclosed alright.

Any good deals on SRTs or Trackhawks? :D

3. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Why would you want a JGC?
    They ain't what they used to be if you want offroad capabilities. If you want an all-season vehicle with tow capacity, I'd get one with full-time 4x4, a big engine, the lowest trim level and the least options. If you're looking for a grocery-getter, get a Mazda CX-5.

4. Critter

Critter Registered

get the SRT, I love mine

5. The

The Baddest Mofo in Town

Don’t do this. They are junk. The base V6 was a much more reliable vehicle.

6. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

It’s a Chrysler product

That’s all that needs to be said.

7. ChrisS819

ChrisS819 Member

You couldn’t give me one of those pieces of shit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BigBird, Shocker and StaccatoFan like this.
  8. I own a wrangler and only reason is I bought an FCA product is because well, I wanted a Jeep. After 20+ years dealing with almost every oem out there there is no f ing way I’d purchase an FCA product besides a wrangler. Even the wrangler I’m somewhat ashamed of myself for owing one of their products. If you can get a steal on a lease go for it, purchase? No f ing way. If you did purchase it what kind of deal we talking about?

9. pro69ss

pro69ss Well-Known Member

Had a 2017 V6 4x4 Altitude. Flawless 25k miles , just sold it to Vroom as it was a lease . Going to miss it .

10. rwdfun

rwdfun

1st off I’ve never owned one but a few years back started looking at SRTs. From what I can tell 2014/15 is the sweet spot. But anyone that thinks differently speak up because I’m still contemplating.

From what I can tell the 14/15 years are as late as you can go and still have the MB DNA who sold Chrylser in 2007. Nothing much changed with development under Cerberus to 2009. The latest generation started in 2010 obviously being developed before FCA but it’s had many face lifts over the years. The farther away from 2010 you go the more FCA DNA takes over

But really. All cars have problems. You just try to find the ones that have decent major components

11. rice r0cket

rice r0cket Well-Known Member

Wrangler or Viper are the only products that aren't market filler crap.

12. StaccatoFan

Maryland is infested with Wranglers. They are everywhere.

Most owners seem to be:

Men with small penis syndrome

Women who wish they had a penis.

The most useless vehicle ever for an urban/suburban driving environment. Uncomfortable noisy and the gas mileage is shit. They do nothing well. Every time I’ve ridden in one I think. “This mother fucked PAID to ride around in a tent!”

They “justify” them because of the snow. Maryland gets snow, if they get any, from Jan 15 to Feb 15. If MD sees 6 inches of snow. It’s a bad year.

Dumbest shit I’ve ever seen.

13. Shocker

Shocker Well-Known Member

Cummins Ram as well, but only because of the motor. If that motor came in any other truck, then FCA would be out of business...

Senna, masshole and StaccatoFan like this.
  14. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

There's more to a vehicle than whether it's as/more/less reliable than any other. Given there's likely few that could be categorized as completely unreliable, it's a crap shoot where, for the most part, you always have a winning throw.

So where do you put your priorities? Same as buying a helmet...does_it_fit?

I have an '02 JGC...love it. It fits.
    I've driven a '15...didn't like it much at all. Not a good fit, for me. Why?
    - Rearward view is more confined than my '02. However, if I were coming from a new Camaro or a Dodge Magnum, the rear view would be as wide and open as Montana. It even feels confining, tho'.
    - Cockpit distractions. There's a learning curve to using dashboard controls on different vehicles. If I have to look at the controls for any appreciable length of time to find/scroll/whatever, it's too distracting, for me. Coming from older vehicles, that's more of a learning curve than I'm willing to tolerate. For a 737 pilot, it's a Flintstonemobile. I'm not a pilot, nor am I a Broome. Becoming comfortable with or wanting endless in-cockpit adjustments and distractions ain't my thing nor will it ever be...I keep my eyes on the road, making in-car adjustments by sound or feel. Yes, there's the occasional glance but, for the greater part, it's just to see that I've met a previously determined setting...one that I've determined.
    - It's just fugly. [The WJ (99-04 JGC) is the best looking and most capable Jeep ever.] Today's JGC is no better offroad than any other SUV out today...why bother even looking at 'em? Unless they're figuratively giving them away at massive discounts, there's better products on the market.

So, does this fucking Jeep check all your boxes or does price take precedent and you're gonna end up hating it or living with the compromise you've chosen for yourself? Just asking...not that I care any more than you care for asking. :D
    Seriously, you know what they say...you get what you paid for. That's why a 540hp Porsche SUV ain't $29,950.

15. StaccatoFan

Yeah..WHY Ford allowed the 10 percent stake they owned in Cummins to go is beyond me. That motor in a Super Duty chassis....truck Nirvana.

16. bullockcm

bullockcm Well-Known Member

Are you sure the deals are really that good? I keep hearing this giving vehicles away stuff but I haven't seen real evidence of it, not that I am looking. Reference the Ford thread here last week...

Anyway back to the JGC, I have a 2018 Larado as a work vehicle so not exactly by choice. Only option beyond standard Larado is the larger infotainment screen. It has around 27k miles and so far I really like it, zero issues to date for me and across the fleet I have only heard of a couple of issues. Significantly better than the Ford Explorers they replaced, the Explorers were maintenance nightmares right from the start and to the best of my knowledge the only vehicles that were replaced wholesale across the fleet and well before the planned end of life to boot. The JGC has reasonable get up and go, more sporty feeling than I expected, transmission works well, gets decent gas mileage, and handles ok for what it is. My normal driving is all dirt road or poorly paved county roads in NY & PA for comparison sake. Auto 4wd/AWD works well with just enough rear wheel bias to step the rear out in the snow & mud when needed. This was the first post 2012 designed vehicle I have really spent time with and also the first vehicle where I felt the technology was intuitive and functional. At least for me it just works, keyless entry, push button start, nav/infotainment while not something I normally use when I need it I don't have to fumble around at all. Auto on heated wheel and seat when below a certain temp is convenient. Only real cons I have are some gas pumps don't vent properly with the capless fuel fill making a fillup take way longer than it should and for the size vehicle the interior space is a bit lacking particularly the cargo area.

17. Shocker

Shocker Well-Known Member

The "giving away" deals I keep hearing about is 0% financing for 7+ years with 0 down and deferred payments for up to a year..... BUT you have to pay near or at MSRP to get that deal. Just fancy smoke and mirror shows to get people to come in and be WAY upside down on a car note, even though they have 0% APR.

18. KneeDragger_c69

KneeDragger_c69 Well-Known Member

I own a Durango R/T 2019 and have nothing negative to say about it… except for the lack of bite on the brakes.
    besides that I love this vehicle and never like Dodge products.

I'd consider it before the Cherokee. More room

evakat likes this.
  19. j cal

j cal Well-Known Member

Living in Chicago, I thought it parks as easy as a mini Cooper, even with a snow bank. That alone justified it for me

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

StaccatoFan likes this.
  20. Critter

Critter Registered

Mine has been good for 50k so let's see