1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2020 Beemer Press release...

Discussion in 'General' started by fastfreddie, Jun 1, 2019.

1. snikwad

snikwad Well-Known Member

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Mille R

Mille R Well-Known Member

It will be interesting to see what the BMW does with a proper tune, as the bike made more RWHP with the stock exhaust. Currently, there is no proper tune out for the BMW at this point. They believe that there is one in the ECU that has to be unlocked for the AKRO full system, however, it is not to market yet.

3. Lee#144

Lee#144 Track Newbie

That damn V4R sounds amazing

4. MotoGP69

MotoGP69 Well-Known Member

I saw that too. I think it said the rider was Troy Corser. Post up if you find it.

Looked at one at the local dealer today. Gorgeous bike.

5. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Compared to the Aprilia?

6. Phl218

Phl218 .

More twin-ish

7. sdiver

sdiver Well-Known Member

Looking forward to it. Most interested in vibration concern being reported by many. Didnt see this concern much in EU reviews so wondering if its US reg fueling related.

8. Mille R

Here is a good thread on owner's impressions: https://www.s1000rrforum.com/forum/...sion/239386-review-your-new-2020-rr-here.html
    As far as the vibes go, I took it for a 170 mile street ride and I had no issue with vibes. All bikes vibe, however, I never experienced any numb or tingling hands. Now, I rarely had the bike over 8k, as it you are routinely going over 8k you are entering the highly illegal speed limit zone very quickly. With that being said, there is a member on that board who already unlocked a different tune to get rid of the EPA flat spot. Also, he said it significantly reduces vibes over 8K which were really never an issue for me, however, some are more sensitive then others. The bike feels very light, has a quick turn in, however, remains stable mid-corner. Now, I am talking road riding and the roads were filled with crap due to all the rain we have had. As such, I did test mid-corner corrections constantly and the bike was very responsive and precise. So far, I really like it. My bike before this was an aprilia rsv1000 factory. Take one for a test ride if you can.

9. Mille R

Update on the EPA power dip. There is now a fix: https://www.s1000rrforum.com/forum/...-usa-ecu-2nd-3rd-gear-go-fast-now-xworks.html

10. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Fast Bikes finally got around to the V4r. A peaky 196hp on the same dyno the BMW did 206hp.

11. TX Joose

TX Joose Well-Known Member

I need to go ahead and get Another liter bike. Last one I owned was the 08 Cbr1000rr that I sold a year ago. I feel like I may be missing out..

12. The Panigale V4 has a different firing order than the Ape V4.

Picture old vs new R1. Both I4’s, but the crossplane firing order gives it a much different sound (and engine characteristics).

The Panigale V4 will build revs faster and rev much higher than a Twin, but (in theory) should have more mechanical grip and look after the tires better than the Ape V4.

That’s why the Panidropper V4 sounds a lot more like a Twin than the Ape.

Not to mention the Duc will change directions much faster because it is a lot lighter, and has the counter-rotating crankshaft.

If someone is in the market for a V4, the Duc is the obvious choice.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
    turbulence likes this.
  13. gixxerboy55

gixxerboy55 Well-Known Member

But on the track tester MCN said the Duc steers slower than the Beamer, and had the slowest lap time.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
  14. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

The koolaide is extra strength. :crackup:

15. There isn’t a number low enough to quantify how little (most*) magazine test lap times mean in the real world.

-What is his experience and skill level?
    -What kind of bikes has he spent most of his time on? (he might have more time on, or prefer one engine layout over another).
    -How much time did he get to setup the ergonomics on each bike for him?
    -Were the stock spring rates the same in each bike?
    -Was he able to make gearing changes to suit each bike?
    -Was he able to make ride height/wheelbase/clicker changes to dial each bike in for the track?
    -Did he go out on brand new tires each time?
    -Were ambient and/or track conditions exactly the same all day?
    -Are all the bikes working with the same restrictions? The HP and power delivery of stock bikes can vary greatly depending on how they work around the Euro emissions.

As far as the bike, “turning slow” is a setup issue. Did they give him the time and resources to sort it?

I could go on and on, but I think you get the point. There are 9,673,219 variables that go into what kind of lap times someone turns on any given bike, on any given day.

*I say “most” because I actually do think highly of the track tests done by Chris Ulrich/RRW, and by Micheal Rutter in the UK.

But aside from that, the only meaningful things you can take from the comparison tests are hard numbers...like curb weight, HP, top speed, electronic capabilities, quality of the components, etc.

Lap times are very subjective, and for all intents and purposes they are not a true testament of the bikes’ capabilities.

16. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

The guys at 44 Teeth agree with the folks at MCN. Neevse is a racer and so is one of the guys at 44 Teeth. They all agree the BMW is the better bike of the two out of the box.

17. gixxerboy55

gixxerboy55 Well-Known Member

Without reading your entire post, yeah I done looked at all them there videos, and the consensus is the Beamer is the best, and the V4 is nothing more than an old obsolete washed up has been. Having said that, it makes me kinda glad that I might be able to get a good deal on a used one.

18. Again, subjective...because of all of the aforementioned reasons.

About the only way to make it valid would be to first take all the bikes and remove the OEM exhaust, then flash all the ECUs (to get them on a level playing field restrictions wise).

Then put all of the bikes on Pirelli Slicks, with a brand new rear (at least) for every bike, every session (to remove the tire variable).

Then take 3 riders with backgrounds on bikes with different engine layouts, all of whom are capable of running a near lap record pace (like the Ducati test rider).

Then allow each rider to work with a suspension tuner, giving him sufficient time and resources to change spring rates, wheelbase, gearing, ride height etc for each bike to get the most out of it.

Then make sure the ambient/track conditions are the same for each bike.

Do all of that, then once each bike and rider is dialed in perfectly, give them each 3 x 20 min sessions where they can put in their best laps, and take an average lap time for each rider on each bike.

Until all other variables are removed (rider, setup, tires, restrictions, conditions, etc) it is impossible to determine which bike is the best, in and of itself.

For the record, I have made those same statements in the past when a magazine stated the Ducati was the best. I’ve raced multiple bikes from every manufacturer except MV. I am not loyal or biased to any of them. I just find it silly when people say “____ magazine said ____ bike is the best”.

Putting aside the fact that it is splitting hairs, because all of them are way more capable than 99% of riders anyway, there is no way to determine which bike is the best when there are countless other variables in play.

19. Mille R

Agreed, however, the question is which is the best out of the box. Nobody has the time to do the test to that extent and then arguments would then center around who got the "best parts".

20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Most of what you want doesn't test the bikes stock to stock. Making each bike the best it can be isn't a fair test any more than comparing full superbikes to street bikes.

A test is simply those bikes that day to that rider. Wouldn't surprise me a bit if they prefer the BMW to the Ducati. The Honda 600's were never great racebikes but were always rated at the top of the 600's for the street. Nothing wrong with that.

snikwad likes this.