1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2019 Tahoe vs 2019 Expedition. Which one should I buy.

Discussion in 'General' started by ineedanap, Feb 8, 2019.

1. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

BigBird likes this.
  2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

FWIW - I'd do a Burban or Ho over the minivans any and every day but they aren't part of the free upgrade :D

3. BigBird

BigBird blah

aside from being 12' tall, you may have some soccer mom in you :D

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Nah, I've just spent a lot of my life hauling things around and I appreciate vehicles that do that well.

BigBird likes this.
  5. I appreciate showing up and all my shits there ready for me. Unfortunately that never happens.

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I have no clue what that is like. I'm the one taking it and setting up most of the time :D

7. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

A relevant data point I left out is that I have three girls, aged 3 months to 6 years so there's going to be three carseats in there for the foreseeable future. That was the driving force in deciding to upsize the Tahoe to the Suburban (for the actual use of the third row for adults, if needed). For the two times I'd need to parallel park downtown, I'll deal with the extra length of the 'burban.

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yeah that definitely matters! If I couldn't put the second row down occasionally and keep the 3rd totally out there'd have been no option but the bus.

SuddenBraking likes this.
  9. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

I enjoyed driving a 2015 LTZ onroad and offroad.
    Loved the magnetic suspension.
    I recall renting a Mustang GT and thinking to myself, why would anyone drive this over the Tahoe.

Gripes: Third Row is tight quarters. I had the captain chairs on second row, good access. Can't keep anything in place in the cargo.
    Speaking of cargo area, reduced height with the lay flat seats.

I averaged over 22mpg on most long drives.

Razr likes this.
  10. MotoGP69

MotoGP69 Well-Known Member

Isn’t there a new Tahoe/Suburban/Yukon coming out soon? I’d hate to spend that kind of money only for the platform to be outdated in a year.

11. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

How big of a deal is RWD vs the 4WD model? Obviously 4WD is better, but I'll have an old beater Grand Cherokee for the rare times it snows (I'm outside Philadelphia). For the $6K price difference, trying to decide if it's worth it. Does RWD on a vehicle as heavy as this get squirrelly in the rain, etc.? Or not that big of a deal?

12. EngineNoO9

EngineNoO9 Well-Known Member

Suburban. As the extra space is great. If you can make do with a Tahoe then so be it. I'm a GM guy though... I've read that the new expedition is fairly good though FWIW.

13. njracer

njracer Well-Known Member

I have a 2011 Suburban Z71 which has the 2wd/auto/4wd/hi-lo option. Unless it's a good amount of snow (or crazy rain), I'm in 2wd almost all of the time.

14. EngineNoO9

My avalanche which has an open diff vs the g80 locker like yours or my '13 suburban does just fine in snow in 2wd. For most snow I'll put it in auto once I'm on main roads. The suburban is heavier and with the locker can get through stuff even easier.

15. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

4WD/AWD is more desirable come resell. If it were me and my family or my wife driving my kids, I’d want the safest option, which is 4WD/AWD. You’ll never regret having it.

16. EngineNoO9

I'd go 4wd but that's my preference. I was close to getting a Yukon XL with the 6.2l which has AWD. The suburban we got was just optioned exactly how we wanted it and fit our bill better. Plus the damn dealer sent the Yukon XL off to auction before I could see it. Bastards.

17. GixxerJohn011

GixxerJohn011 Well-Known Member

For most people 4WD is really only good for one thing...getting you stuck some place you shouldn’t have been in the first place. Keep good rubber and you’ll be fine in the snow. It should be noted that I’m sitting in my 4WD truck as I type this. :)

To me the Tahoe vs Suburban isn’t even a question, Suburban all day long. If you need/want something that size the extra length is great and they’re really not bad in parking lots.

BigBird likes this.
  18. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

I went the Yukon because it fits nicely in my garage while providing me the towing power of a truck. I don’t have the 3rd row up enough for me to care about the space behind it.

19. BigBird

BigBird blah

for how long though, before it's Found on Road Dead :D

20. peakpowersports

peakpowersports Well-Known Member

I have 3 under 3 and didnt want to have to climb in back to buckle one in. So we went middle bench on our Yukon and run the groms three wide! Works great and in a couple years when the oldest is out of a carseat and can buckle himself we will trade in for middle row bucket seats.

SuddenBraking likes this.