1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2019 Daytona 200

Discussion in 'General' started by KMC, Feb 6, 2019.

1. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

TurboBlew and AC1108 like this.
  2. renegade17

renegade17 Well-Known Member

Is that just hearsay?

3. Dits

Dits Will shit in your fort.

DeLand. :D

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Sorry about that!

5. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Irrelevant race. Too far. Shouldn't count anyway. Beeb said so.

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Relevant in it's own way just not relevant to any championship anywhere so just for money, a watch, and bragging rights. And an excuse to go out and party during bikeweek :D

stk0308 likes this.
  7. fastedyamaha

fastedyamaha Well-Known Member

So you agree that there should be an asterik next to the winners of this 600ss race since it's no longer kinda superbikey? I resent that a certain someone, while extremely talented, is being mentioned in the same breath as Mr. Daytona for the most wins!

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

No more a need for an asterisk than for anyone who has won since they moved it off the sand or any other time the rules or track changed. It's still a race. They still won the race. Was it as hard to do as what Scott pulled off? Not in my opinion. Was what he did as impressive as the old school guys fighting it out on sand and pavement? Again, not in my opinion. But it still happened.

VFR#52, cav115 and KneeDragger_c69 like this.
  9. Scuba Steve

Scuba Steve Wheelchair Pimp

I'll be your crew chief when you finally race the 200. I'll keep the beer cold for the pit stop

MELK-MAN, R1M370 and AC1108 like this.
  10. chickenpants

chickenpants Well-Known Member

May be a stupid question but will they be able to race if it rains?

11. Shocker

Shocker Well-Known Member

Sure, just race on the aprin :D

chickenpants likes this.
  12. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

The 1965 Daytona 200 was the only one ever run in the rain.....so, that should tell you something.

Pitmom42 likes this.
  13. badmoon692008

badmoon692008 Well-Known Member

I was actually wondering the same thing today... Regular CCS races go on in the rain, but I don't know how they'd handle the 200.. It's always just happened to be dry since I've been watching it.

14. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

Last time it rained, it was at the October event I believe. At that time, Dunlop would not mount rain tires for that event. CCS has run races in the wet, and I went out once on my LW bike, on slicks (because CHAMPIONSHIP) and it's sketchy as shit.

No water will stand on the banking, I can't imagine rain tires lasting a full lap there let alone multiple laps. DOT's would probably do OK.

I generally don't race in the rain, but at Daytona? No way.

JBall likes this.
  15. sbk1198

sbk1198 Well-Known Member

So in other words you'd have to either use DOT's and then go slow in the infield, or use rain tires and go really slow on the banking/straights lol

16. rafa

rafa Well-Known Member

Hard to go slow on the banking. You just fall over haha

sbk1198 likes this.
  17. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

around 2006, we had a LOT of rain for a daytona weekend.. water obviously won't stand on the banking, so you just had to roll out of the gas a bit to keep the rains from destroying themselves. You'd finish a 5 lap sprint and the left side would be nearly worn down, if you managed the tire. Some guys were full gas around banking, and pulled off when it began to chunk.. paint is the sketchy part. Especially the chicane entry and exit.. it's all bad and there's puddles that are deeper than others.

that weekend, I crashed 2x in one of my races if memory serves.. LOL . It can be done, but not for more than a handful of laps. Later, was leading the ASRA pro sportbike race (may have still been Formula USA at that time) in a full on downpour, ahead of Darrin Luck, Jeff Wood, other good rain riders, till the shifter linkage came apart with 2 laps to go

18. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

You can bet Scott gets it; and is not offended.

I see many call this race irrelevant. There are many mega fast guys racing it, and anyone who does it is accomplishing a great deal.

Love to see some of these critics line up..:D

sbk1198 and Gino230 like this.
  19. dmj_88

dmj_88 Active Member

Have raced Daytona on a ninja 300, SV650, and ZX10 in the rain on rain tires. All manageable, even got down to 55s on the big bike (won expert Unlimited Supersport) you just have to be aware of the pavement and how much you’re heating the tire like any other rain race. Running the 200 in the rain would be tricky but not impossible.

20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I'd guess no way on rains for that long on the banking - and the riders will go to the banking if it's the fastest way around - right up until the tire disintegrates. One area where you have to take the decision out of their hands. In a constant downpour maybe but I'd be talking to the tire guys (more so the techs and testers than the mounters even if it means making some long distance calls overseas) and even if they say yeah I'd want some time on the tires and to see them with my own eyes before letting it happen.

Hopefully it'll all be a moot point, wouldn't want anyone from the riders to the officials to the track in that situation.