1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2018 Vintage Classes

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by Mongo, Jan 10, 2018.

1. Duck150

Duck150 Well-Known Member

Don't need to change rules, convert to drum brake is cheap and easy.....for Gp bikes

videojack likes this.
  2. videojack

videojack Racing for Therapy

I'm happy to see another DS7 on the track in the GP class. David Hurst runs his with a drum, XS650 if I remember correctly. If switching to drum brake allows a racer to run GP class, then it sounds better than running V3 with a disc. I have a concern changing the rules, only having to change them back with future popularity. Also, maintaining our GP rules keeps us more in line for racing with other vintage organizations and racers from other organizations racing with us.

3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Makes sense to me.

4. 90kacoupe

90kacoupe Novice seeking Help

It makes sense, It just sucks for people who run F250 with AHRMA. I will run in V3 and be happy I have a place to race. I could run 500GP with a drum, but lets face it, its not worth the hassle of setting up another front end to swap out for WERA rounds.

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Tell AHRMA to mandate drums :D

VFR#52 likes this.
  6. Christian157

Christian157 Well-Known Member

You are spot on about the twins situation and I respect your decision to do what is best for the series. I am not looking to ride around by myself to get a trophy. Looking to compete against as many HWT competitors as I can which at the moment looks like Ahrma. No animosity here, it is what it is.

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Even AHRMA's Twins only stuff is relatively light but definitely better than ours has been in a while. We'll still have classes you're legal for if you want to come play tho :D

VFR#52 likes this.
  8. mgmark

mgmark George Tirebiter for President

Dammit! At least I didn’t mount the tire yet.
    Time to lace up the drum brake!

Attached Files:

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I vote for working on quick change front ends :D

WERA33 likes this.
  10. mgmark

You can run the drum with ahrma, but you’ll be a bit further back in the field. Although your bike is light enough it probably won’t make a big difference.
    And if we aren’t going to win anyway what does it matter? Drum brakes look cool!

Mark

11. mgmark

Now MY head hurts........

12. VintageWannabe

VintageWannabe Diggin Deep

May be too late for this year, but something to consider for the future would be moving to a class structure more like offroad / cross-country racing. They typically just have classes based on previous performance, not based on machine or modifications. Everyone starts out in a C class. If they're in the top three this year, they move up to B class next year, A class if they win again. Bottom 3 can move down a class. You could make minimum class requirement for certain bikes, so the fastest bike can't show up and win C class all year their first year. If someone is sandbagging, there's an appeals process. They usually have a Pro class too, which has higher entry fee, but races for money - This would be fun! This system is really easy for anyone to understand. Simply know what size your engine is, and whether you've won before. Link to the local race series classification system below. WERA's class structure could be much simpler:

http://www.ixcr.com/joomla2013/index.php/series-info/classes/item/377

I think WERA could operate this way, with an engine size separator (50% for 2-stroke).

0 - 500cc class A, B, C all run first race.
    500cc+ A, B, C all run second race.
    Could have special callouts for years / specific bikes, etc. such as H1 must run in 500cc+

I firmly believe this is one big reason cross-country dirtbike racing is so huge here on a local level (thousand+ racers every weekend). It's easy! I show up on my wadded out street legal adventure bike with racks and a headlight, and I still know what class I belong in!

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

The problem is we have a few more Vintage machines that can roadrace than they are running. It'd be great if I could just group everything into 122-249 and 250-Open but it's not that simple.

14. 90kacoupe

90kacoupe Novice seeking Help

It would make much of a difference on the track, but it makes a huge difference in cost, setup, tuning, and maintenance. My disc is easy to deal with!! And it WORKS!! I do agree, drums look better.

15. mgmark

I don’t know, it can be as expensive as you make it. My DS7 ran with a stock drum front brake the entire time and I never so much as put new shoes in it. I may have bought a new cable though. It does work pretty well.
    We don’t have to spend Bowie levels of $$ for a trick four figure setup like he has.
    But yeah, the disc brake does work better........
    Mark

16. No Brakes

No Brakes Well-Known Member

Split into 3 different races. Haha

Swap LWT SS & SB. Not sure why DSS would race with Twin SB when DSB is faster bikes.

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Because some of them can ride in the other class - DSS and LWT SS, DSB and LWT SB.

18. Duck150

Duck150 Well-Known Member

Yea... to much brake, I like my others one better....cheap ones ...

19. No Brakes

Did any last year?

20. No Brakes

This puts v6mw and dsb in the same race if I’ve been able to keep up. I ran both last year on same bike. I know it’s not all about me.