1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2018 Vintage Classes

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by Mongo, Jan 10, 2018.

1. videojack

videojack Racing for Therapy

Thanks Stick!
    Is "E SUPERSTOCK EXPERT & NOVICE" the class for Ninja 250s as well?
    I remember then running in V5 which looks like race 10.
    I do have an EX250 that can be track converted.

2. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

The E class is the the bump up class for the 250's.

videojack likes this.
  3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Updated schedule idea....

1) Grom Cup & WERA Minis (4 laps)
    2) C Superbike Ex & NV
    3) Formula 1 Expert & Novice, V8 HW
    4) LWT SS, DSB, ESS,V6 MW,
    5) B Superbike Expert & Novice, V7 HW, V8 MW
    6) LWT SB, DSS, FSS,V6 LW,
    7) A Superbike Expert & Novice
    8) Clubman, V4, V3, 500GP
    9) C Superstock Expert & Novice
    10) V6 HW, V7MW, V5,
    11) A Superstock Expert & Novice
    12) Formula 2 Ex & Nv
    13) HW & MW Senior Superbike Ex & Nv
    14) B Superstock Expert & Novice

videojack likes this.
  4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Some of it was due to bikes on the grid and getting off the grid faster even if other machines are turning better laptimes (2-strokes for example).

videojack likes this.
  5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

On the classes - currently I am not looking at making anything new. That way we can keep the old ones and use them at VMD. In classes not running every weekend those bikes would just run in the larger/newer classes they fit in.

videojack likes this.
  6. Hate McDead

Hate McDead Well-Known Member

Mongo - Can I assume that this schedule will be used at every Sportsman round with WERA? In other words, can I plan on taking my vintage bike to any round and run it? Or is this going to be limited to certain rounds?

7. videojack

videojack Racing for Therapy

Good question!
    Can you verify this rough guess schedule with most of the National (N) races removed?

2018 WERA Sportsman Series

2/17-18 Talladega Gran Prix Raceway, Talladega, AL-rs,
    3/16-18 Roebling Road Raceway, Faulkville, GA-N,rs,
    5/5-6Grattan Raceway Park, Grattan, MI-cc,rs,
    5/19-20 Roebling Road Raceway, Faulkville, GA-rs
    6/1-3 WERA Cycle Jam at Road Atlanta, Braselton, GA-rs, ???
    6/9-10Grattan Raceway Park, Grattan, MI-c,rs,
    6/30-7/1 Barber Motorsports Park, Birmingham, AL-rs,
    7/5-8Vintage Motorcycle Days, Mid-Ohio - Limited Schedule-DH,N,???
    7/14-15 Roebling Road Raceway, Faulkville, GA-rs
    TBAGrattan Raceway Park, Grattan, MI-cc,rs,
    8/18-19 Talladega Gran Prix Raceway, Talladega, AL-rs,
    9/8-9 Road Atlanta, Braselton, GA-rs,

8. RZ Racer

RZ Racer It passed tech LAST time!

Man, that's about as good as it can get for me! Only fly still in the ointment, is that the rd class (v3,v4, f500...whatever you're going to call it) is still stuck running with a really goof rz class, but honestly, I'm liking the idea of making my rz my wera bike and my rd my ahrma bike and simplifying the race program. This schedule allows for all 4 of the classes that the rz has a chance in, which means 8 races in a weekend! NICE!

videojack and stickboy274 like this.
  9. RZ Racer

its a little unconventional, but you should consider allowing gp500 guts to bump to fss. True, they're nothing alike in spec, (highly modified, old small-medium displacement vs stone stock modern 250's) but the laptimes with equal riders will be very similar and I expect many grins and giggles will ensue with the blending of the 2 "families". True gp500's will likely have a slight top speed advantage, but the ninjas will kill them on the brakes. Corner speed will come down to the rider. Will probably be a fun class to watch!

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

That is a generic schedule (well not really, it's the Feb 4th Auto Club schedule) to give us an idea of the class groupings so we can work out any bugs. If it is as good as we can get it on that score then the classes will run like that but the races will be in a different order some weekends. I usually have an A and a B schedule and rotate them within regions so people aren't always last or first.

11. RZ Racer

Anyone remember their times at vir on a 500gp legal bike? I did the 2hr endurance this summer on a bone stock '01 ninja 250 (16" wheels...ugh!) and managed to get down to a 2:01.

videojack likes this.
  12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I don't have an issue with that at all, FSS is going to keep fading as there are less 250's anyway.

mgmark and videojack like this.
  13. RZ Racer

Sean- I'm assuming this will do away with the "best 4 +gnf dbl points" format? Upping it to 6 (or 8?) or going sportsman with winner take all? Or something different that we've never seen?

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Once we get the class order set the schedule I posted (or one very close to it) will run on all Sportsman days - alternating weekend to weekend as I posted above. VMD is it's own thing of course. Cycle Jam and other Nationals that are not double headers on the National schedule, this would run on Saturday then National classes Sunday - that's usually Roebling, Talladega, and Cycle Jam. On the Endurance weekends it'll be this schedule with the National classes slotted in with their Sportsman classes on Sunday with Endurance on Saturday. On DH Sportsman/Vintage weekends it'll be this setup both days.

15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

That's the next subject I've been wanting to breech.... Or not :D

It'll need to go back to 6 if we run things as we have been. The only question is, to get participation at the GNF up, do we just go to winner take all?

16. RZ Racer

well, I do that here know that not having the finals on a Thursday will help a little with the gnf. 3day weekend isn't too difficult for most, but 4 day (5 if you're so far you need a travel day) has been a big part of the no shows in recent years. I like the points+gnf format, but wonder if even 6 is fair. That actually reduces the # of race weekends required from last year. Of course it's increasing the number of races entered, so there's no need to go crazy. I personally would be fine w 8, but am by no means a spokesperson for veryone else. (Ya'll chime in.....)

vance likes this.
  17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I definitely will try to get them off Thursday, with less classes I have more leeway.

Good point on the number of races vs weekends, last year it'd be 4 weekends minimum, 6 races now can be done in 3. Pretty sure the whole point of the system was to encourage more weekends of racing.

18. mgmark

mgmark George Tirebiter for President

Nope, I’m on the mighty piston port 1970 DS7, 250 GP350 machine. No reed valves for me! I was building an RD motor for ahrma F250 and Wera V1, but now that V1-2 is gone I am staying with the DS7 since that fits in F250 also. Just me and David Hurst upholding the Yamaha flag in GP.

That #19 bike in my avatar was my RD350 production bike from 1980, at West Palm Beach (Moroso). Fun times and huge grids.

videojack likes this.
  19. Hate McDead

Hate McDead Well-Known Member

I like the winner take all approach with the caveat of having to have raced some minimum number of races - just to keep all those ringers from showing up.

20. mgmark

mgmark George Tirebiter for President

Well, when big TZ values went stupid high due to collectors, it stopped making sense to risk racing that kind of money and balling it up in turn one somewhere.
    So it was sold and sadly no longer seen on the track. I do miss that bike, if nothing else for the noise it made.

videojack likes this.