1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2018+ Mustang GT

Discussion in 'General' started by tropicoz, Mar 29, 2020.

1. tropicoz

tropicoz Well-Known Member

Call it a mid-life crisis, or a pandemic panic buy....but I'm looking hard at a new Mustang GT. The fact that Ford wants me to use their money to finance the damn thing makes it that much more appealing. What's the consensus here on this car? The last time I actually gave a thought to one of these was when that Vaniller Ice was "singing" about it.

2. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

It's a Ford.

3. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

So they’ve circled the problem.

vfrket likes this.
  4. Good bang for the buck. But I just couldn’t do it. Call it mustang stigma or whatever. My neighbor has a Bullet edition. It’s fun.

5. Fonda Dix

Fonda Dix Well-Known Member

Best car I ever owned. Fun as shit too. Do it!

tropicoz likes this.
  6. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

They sound so damn good

7. khill

khill Well-Known Member

I think they are pretty damn good. Basically an 11-second car bone stock and mid to low 11s with a tune. Depending on options, not horrible on a road course.

Ken

Boman Forklift and tropicoz like this.
  8. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

They are great if you don't care if everyone views you as an 18 year old. Roaring around all over the place.

9. MotoGP69

MotoGP69 Well-Known Member

I’ve been eyeing a Grabber Lime automatic for the street and occasional trip to the local drag strip, but even with light options it’s well over $40k. I had a 5.0 back in high school and the 2015+ is the first one I’ve liked since.

10. Potts N Pans

Potts N Pans Well-Known Member

It gets slower with a tune?? :eek:

11. ClemsonsR6

ClemsonsR6 Well-Known Member

GT with a supercharger, tune, intake and exhuast....750hp all day long and stupid reliable and insane fun factor.

tropicoz likes this.
  12. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

Don't own one, but have a few friends with GT's in both stick and auto. One really nice thing is everything is cheap and well developed for them. Exhausts, suspension parts etc. Tons of fun and sound good. Not the worst mid-life crisis car IMHO.

The 10 speed might be the first time I would pic an auto in a car. Really impressive transmission.

tropicoz likes this.
  13. turbulence

turbulence Well-Known Member

go for it! it's a great car. I'm kinda mad i missed out on the 0%/84.

having owned a 2017 GT350, i'd say the 2018+ 5.0 is 80% of the car for 60% of the price. i REALLY miss my shelby, but i just wasn't in a spot to drop another $60k on a car.

the 5.0 is a beast, and i got the 10 speed, which is pretty bitchin in it's own right. both transmission options in the 5.0 have their shortcomings though. I've never driven the 6 speed, but i've heard they don't shift all that well.. full power gear lockouts and whatnot. vague clutch feel. The shelby's 6speed is totally different and way, way better. the 10 speed auto is a great tranny and will hold a lot of power. it does get hot pretty quick when you start pushing it in spirited canyon drives. it's actually going to be a faster car vs the 6 speed as far as quarter mile times are concerned.

a couple things i wish i had done differently. I went for a stripper, cheap 5.0.. i do have the drive modes (a must... sport mode, track mode, launch control, auto blipping downshifts.. the 301A package https://www.group1auto.com/carresea...im_GT/id_41370/confid_group1/section_Options/ that's a MUST).. i kinda wish i spring for the performance package 1 (67G in the above link).. it gives you 3.55 gears in the auto vs the 3.15's, and also the front brembo calipers. the 3.15's are the gear of choice if you're gonna boost it, 3.55's for an N/A car.

anywhoo... on with pics! i've got some SVE wheels in a 19x10 front, 19x11 rear on mine. the stock wheels are poo poo

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. sdiver

sdiver Well-Known Member

If you are OK with the nameplate there's a reason the 18+ made it to Car and Driver's 10 best cars list:

1) Better overall performance than an M3 at 2/3rds the price (maybe 1/2 right now!)
    2) Mustang is like legos for adults. Whatever you don't like about it can be easily improved in the aftermarket.
    3) It's neither too small or too large (looking at you Porsche Cayman and FI Subaru BRZ)
    4) It's a great daily with good visibility and trunk space (looking at you Camaro)

Here's what to look for to start from, imho:

1) 400a options group
    2) PP1
    3) Active Exhaust
    4) 10R80
    5) Magnetic Suspension
    6) 8 yr/75k or 100k Ford warranty purchased from Koon Ford online

Last edited: Mar 29, 2020
  15. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Do it.

Toss a supercharger and some better boingers on it and you'll have a nice weapon with GT500 levels of HP.

[​IMG]

K51000 likes this.
  16. sdiver

sdiver Well-Known Member

Decided not to install mine. 490 ish is plenty on a front engine, RWD car without drag radials. When I want to go faster, the Tuono is right there. Bonus is I get to keep my warranty.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2020
    kevinr likes this.
  17. turbulence

turbulence Well-Known Member

you can get a roush supercharger with a warranty.

downside is you’ll get heatsoak after a couple of runs and the car will pull power until it cools off.

18. tropicoz

Nice Car! That’s exactly what I’m looking for, a basic GT to build off. It’ll be a weekend ride for my wife and I to get out and she’s all for it. And knowing me, I can’t leave shit alone so I’ll start throwing parts at it sooner than later.

turbulence likes this.
  19. tropicoz

LOL Koons is the dealer I’m looking to buy from!

sdiver likes this.
  20. K51000

K51000 Well-Known Member

I like Fords too. Just saying