1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2018 MT-09 Yamaha.... lay some knowledge on me.

Discussion in 'General' started by SirCrashAlot, Jun 15, 2018.

1. SirCrashAlot

SirCrashAlot Well-Known Member

Haven't picked it up yet....hell I haven't even sat on it but had some questions about it. Any restrictions or limiters on it? I understand the earlier versions were slightly neutered but haven't seen anything saying the newer ones were. Any other items to look out for?

2. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

This year, suspension has been improved, but is still pretty basic. That's where I'd put my money first. The engine is more than enough. Personally, I'd leave it as is.

SirCrashAlot likes this.
  3. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

4. SirCrashAlot

Thanks

5. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

6. SirCrashAlot

So I picked it up and its pretty awesome. Handles ok.... plenty of power... comfortable.... the throttle is a little snatchy. I think I'm gonna like it.

BigBird and samizx7 like this.
  7. samizx7

samizx7 Well-Known Member

Damn. I wish I make my bikes purchase decisions as fast as you do. Lol.

8. SirCrashAlot

I've not always made the smartest decisions lol. Back in 93 I pulled the trigger on a gsxr600. Anyone that's ever ridden one in street trim knows that I screwed up on that one. I've impulse bought a vtx1800, tl1000r, and some little single cylinder BMW 650.. was it a GS? Don't remember. Anyway those buys were a dumb on my part because I almost immediately regretted them. This MT09 is badass. Just finished riding on the blue ridge. The suspension does need some fiddling and I've been varying rpm . Can't wait to get it broken in. Pulls like a sumbitch down low. I'm happy with my purchase:rock:

9. OldSchlPunk

OldSchlPunk Well-Known Member

To me, the throttle seems soft on "Std" mode and a bit snatchy on "A". The power gets better as it breaks in, damn how I giggle every time I ride mine. Coming from an F4i, the grunt is amazing. Some sections of my favorite road, I just leave it in 3rd and ride the torque wave.

Some people don't like the seat but then, they bitch about almost any sporty bike's seat.

I have my shock 1/4 turn from full firm to keep it from wallowing. Added a considerable amount of rebound and compression at the fork for the same. It is a bit harsh on sharp bumps but at the price point, you can't expect Ohlins. There are options out there to help the forks, you'd about have to get a different shock to improve there. Some use ZX6R or ZX10R shocks but they are considerably longer and raise the rear quite a bit (25mm or more).

Bought mine Easter weekend and have almost 3k on the clock already.

SirCrashAlot likes this.
  10. ttt637

ttt637 Well-Known Member

I have a JRi on the rear and Andrenni cartridges on mine as well as a Saddleman seat and its a different bike. Also have full Akrapovic and FTecu flash too :)

SirCrashAlot likes this.
  11. SirCrashAlot

Thanks guys... those are the bits of info that I was looking for.

12. scottn

scottn Well-Known Member

Penske single clicker on the rear, stiffer springs up front. Akrapovic exhaust is on, been procrastinating about the flash and dyno tune. It's a great bike for the price.

13. Booger

Booger Well-Known Member

It’s about time for a new street ride, so gonna pull the trigger on something this Winter. I’m down to either the MT-09, MT-07, Street Triple, or the upcoming 790 Duke.

14. OldSchlPunk

I'm not surprised that Yamaha is selling a lot of these. I kinda wanted a Speed Triple for a few years but kept balking at the price and the fact that the local dealer was a prick (new local dealer is better). This is not one of your bad choices.

Went out this morning to get my hair cut. When done, I got a wild hair up my ass to get a burger...65 miles away.

The Akrapovic Ti exhaust has a nice growl without being obnoxious. Some of the exhausts I had heard gave real bad pops on decel, this one has a crackle like a GP bike. The decel backfires can be tuned down (if not completely out) with a flash. The throttle can also be tamed with a good flash.

I replaced the stock throttle tube with an R6 (34mm vs 42mm) for quicker full throttle, whooeee!

Oh, also, I've been getting 55-63 MPG... even with a heavy wrist.

BigBird likes this.
  15. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

Jeebus...how is that possible? I'd be happy with 1/2 that on my '16 Tuono.

16. OldSchlPunk

The only thing I can think of is that with all this torque, I'm finding myself short-shifting rather than bouncing off the red-limiter. That and Yamaha has these tuned pretty lean. If I had the ECU flashed, I guarandamnedtee you I wouldn't be getting that.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2018
  17. SirCrashAlot

So which seat did you get and it is a lot better than stock? I find I get up against the tank during braking.

18. SirCrashAlot

I wanted to ask about the first service. I was told it would be about $300 at the 600 mile mark. I checked the manual and it says they only change the oil and filter and inspect a few items. Do they have to check the valves too?

19. SirCrashAlot

Also can anyone recommend a self tuning module such as rapid bike makes? I can't really tell which would be best to go with.... graves, rapidbike.... someone just tell me what to buy to go with my new exhaust lol

20. samizx7

samizx7 Well-Known Member

Flash the ecu first. I think you will get better results.