1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2017/2018 GSXR1000R IMU question

Discussion in 'Tech' started by rhinorsv, Jun 24, 2018.

1. rhinorsv

rhinorsv Well-Known Member

there are some killer deals on 2017 leftovers and am thinking of buying one specifically for track duty. but I’m confused about the differences in the IMU in the 17 gsxr 1k abs & non-abs version vs. the IMU in the 17 gsxr 1kR version. My question is whether or not the base and ABS versions’ IMU have all the functions (roll, pitch and yaw) along with the cornering abs functionality?

I’ve confirmed that the R version does have it but that is a $3k premium over the base and abs version and I’m trying to determine if it’s worth the extra loot.

Thanks in advance for any insight the been can provide.

2. Issa Trad

Issa Trad Member

I know here in Oz the r has the shift assist /qs up and down however, can be retro fitted to base models. The R also has the up market showa suspension. The r has the extra lights on the front fairings (no biggie for track). The R also has a 6 axis IMU over a 5 Axis IMU however, I would love to hear what actual differences in real world and what it means to tune ability. Most I have read/spoken to say it only effects ABS however, I would love to be able to confirm this. Most of the aftermarket tuning does not really define the maps easy enough to really test it from what I've seen.

3. Ra.Ge. Raptor

Ra.Ge. Raptor wanna_be_fast

The only difference is that the R gets the Cornering abs , the base and abs models have the 3 axis, 6 direction imu as well.

4. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

I wonder if it's the same hardware but deactivated?

5. gcally

gcally Well-Known Member

I would pony up for the R if I were you.
    You will need the extra length the R forks have. Also talking to some suspension shops the R forks are a much better quality piece than the non R forks (not internals but upper and lower tubes).

I love my new GSXR 1000. It feels like my old 750 with 70 more HP. The power curve is butter smooth and has so much mid range you can run it a gear higher and still get good drive coming off of the corner. Makes the bike very easy to ride fast.
    I just got done upgrading wheels and full Ti Yosh. Also just ordered I2M dash for it will full data acquisition.

Attached Files:

6. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

That is one seriously blinged out machine.

7. rhinorsv

Thanks fella, been down sick with the flu! Summertime flu is terrible! Great info. One more question has anyone ridden with the bike on the track with the cornering abs active? I’ve seen videos of it on the v4 and ape rsv4 but am curious if it’s at the same level on the GSXR?

8. gcally

gcally Well-Known Member

I removed the ABS before I even rode the bike.

9. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

ABS doesn't belong on a motorcycle that's going on a race track.

track wagon and Bruce like this.
  10. rhinorsv

Thanks for all the thoughtful replies? MDM can you elaborate? I’m truly trying to gain some knowledge and am curious why they’d put this on their up spec model with no apparent benefit.

11. Bruce

Bruce Tuck & Roll

To sell bikes to the masses. I would wager less than 2% of sales are for track-based buyers.

12. emry

emry Can you count? 50 Fucking what?

2% is a huge estimate for a direct sale track bikes. Even OEM's kid themselves over this. Track and race machine only exist for marketing reasons. Marketing has a very tough ROI because of this....

13. Clayton White

Clayton White Well-Known Member

I do have a question over all how is the ride with the suspension. The showa BBF and BFRC are suppose to be fine tunes and a great ride. I was told that the BFRC isn't adjustable as far as ride height goes. But would love some feed back on this especially the rear BFRC for the ones running stock and haven't switched to big brand suspension.

14. Bruce

Bruce Tuck & Roll

I would imagine you could shim the shock to increase rear ride height

15. gcally

gcally Well-Known Member

The new GSXR 1000’s shock mount is part of the frame. There is no way to add shims like in the past. I have my ohlins set at 320 eye to eye and it works well. I had to change lower clevis on the ohlins to get to that ride height.

Bruce likes this.
  16. Bruce

Bruce Tuck & Roll

Ok did not know that:beer: