1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2016 Ram 2500 limited megacab diesel 4x4

Discussion in 'Other' started by michaelrc51, Feb 2, 2021.

1. michaelrc51

michaelrc51 Well-Known Member

I’m selling my 2016 Ram 2500 limited megacab diesel 4x4 with 47k miles.
    I purchased this truck in August of 2019 in hopes of getting a toy hauler. I ended up buying a toy hauler in February of 2020, a fifth wheel. I wish I had understood the towing numbers as well as I do now, cause legally my trailer is to much for the truck. Don’t get me wrong, the truck handles the trailer fine but I’m worried about the legality if anything were to happen. So, I’m looking to sell this truck so I can get into a dually. A SRW 3500 would do it but if I’m going to go through selling this truck, I’ll just go straight to a dually.

I bought it in August of 2019 with a clean Carfax and 35k on the odometer. Carfax shows me as the fourth owner, which is strange cause the 2 before me were dealers, including the one I bought it from. As I can decipher, I am the second owner.
    Roughly 3-4 weeks after I purchased the truck a deer ran into the side of it and caused some superficial damage. I have all of the pics and receipts, I had the best body shop I could find do the work. There were some small dents and they painted the bed side and lower section of the cab.

Maintenance/ Mods:
    -Changed oil and oil filter, fuel filter, and separator when I bought it. Used Rotella T-6 and OEM filters/ separator.
    -Installed OEM black background headlights and OEM non Laramie tails
    -installed hard folding cover
    -At 37,5xx I replaced the brakes. Calipers, Rotors, and pads. I used Powerstop Z-36 kit.
    -At 37,5xx I added Banks diff cover w/ Amsoil severe gear oil
    -At 41,xxx I installed Revmax Billet VB, Revmax thermostat delete, and Revmax deep pan and new Mopar fluid
    -At 42,xxx I deleted/ tuned the truck and changed oil, filter, CCV filter, fuel filter, and seperator.
    MM3 tuner with DRD tunes and trans tune
    Flopro 4” turbo back exhaust w/muffler
    S&B air intake
    EGT probe to work with MM3
    Sinister throttle valve delete
    EGR/ DPF delete
    Shibby connector kit
    Fleece fuel filter delete
    Install fuel filter by seperator w/ CAT filter
    B&W turnover ball hitch
    Woolwax frame and seems under body/ bed
    Nitto Terra Grappler G2 tires
    Timber grove rear air bags
    Fifth wheel plug in bed
    Undercover swing box
    -47,5xx I deleted the grid heater
    Fleece grid heater delete
    Banks Monster Ram intake elbow
    Banks 3.5” boost tubes
    BD diesel element style heater
    Bung welded in Banks elbow for heater element
    OEM grid heater solenoid
    RECON OLED cab lights- smoked w/amber light
    Relay to keep mirror marker lights on like cab lights

Last round I did because I got the solenoid code for grid heater. There have been some issues with 13+ trucks grid heater staying on and sending 200amps through 1/4-20 stud, this melting the stud/ nut and it falls into the motor causing catastrophic damage.
    Luckily the stud and nut were in tact. So, I deleted the OEM grid heater and welded a bung in the Banks elbow to accommodate an element style heater. Many people swear the heater isn’t necessary but I wanted some type of heater without worrying about the stud/ nut issue.

Interior is black leather with perforated inserts. Interior is near perfect, just driver’s side seat bolster shows wear from getting in and out.
    I used a Edge mount for the MM3. I ran the wire through the A pillar and came out the lower screw hole so it can be removed with no evidence.

I deleted and tuned the truck for reliability not power. Truck does make good power though. I’m also careful about where/ when I apply the power. Truck tows my 14k lbs fifth wheel without issue.

I really do love this truck, I wish it fit our needs better. I’ve spent $10k extra addressing the known issues with the trans and other things. Due to this my ask is on the high side of the spectrum, I’m asking $52,500.

I’ve been offered $44k-$46k on trade. While I understand the dealers, there is to much left on the table. I need to recoup more than that to make it remotely doable. Especially since they’re basically non negotiable on the new purchase, but hey that’s the way it works.

Feel free to contact me at 609-839-eight seven four seven
    I’m located in Central NJ

[​IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/
    20210202/54b257b77ffd5fbec443fe0c95b384c1.pnghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/
    20210202/1a523a5660f2c69239185ae21b9b652e.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/
    20210202/5663d2a2793c633428200939a6e2feed.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

2. michaelrc51

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

evakat likes this.
  3. Str8-Lurkin

Str8-Lurkin Well-Known Member

Nice... any issues with state inspection

4. Phl218

Phl218 .

Other than price, color and chrome exactly the truck I’d want

The Todd likes this.
  5. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

Free bump. I love my Mega Cab. I'm on my second one and waiting to see what the next gen looks like.

6. michaelrc51

No inspection for diesel here in NJ.
    Check with your state’s laws, every state is different.

I do have all of the OEM stuff. I’m avoiding putting the truck to stock first. I may end up doing so but I’m not at that point right now.

7. michaelrc51

Yeah, these trucks hold their value well. Try and find a 16 limited in decent shape under $50k, especially since COVID hit.
    I think prices jumped $5k just because of demand.

Truck was over $80k new.

Phl218 likes this.
  8. michaelrc51

I’m getting another megacab if/ when I sell this one it’ll be a duallly. Just not sure if fourth or fifth gen.

9. Str8-Lurkin

Str8-Lurkin Well-Known Member

Lucky here in PA we must do it. This a deal! Been in the market for a while too made it wouldn't fly in my neck of woods.

10. michaelrc51

If you’re really in the market text or call me. Like I said I can put it back to stock, I have all the parts.
    Also, you can “delete” it and leave the EGR in tact and all. That way you drop stick tune in and reconnect a few connectors and you’re stick again.
    Or they do emissions in tact tuning.

If you’re interested let me know.

11. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Depends on what county you live in....no testing for me but 2 miles away, over the county line, and I would have to test. I guess the smog must obey map boundaries....Truth is, I don't trust our government not to screw around with this stuff, too easy to change the law.

12. michaelrc51

Yeah, exactly why I kept everything.
    Especially since the DEP went nuts on manufacturers last year, and factoring in the current administration.....

13. Mechdziner714

Mechdziner714 More Gas Less Brakes

Would it be possible to swap the dually axle in?

14. michaelrc51

Sure, just need bedsides to then.
    BUT.....thing you can’t change is that door sticker that say GVWR 10k lbs and payload 1850lbs.

That’s where my prob is.

15. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

Really nice deal, but I just can't get over the fact that payload is only 1,850. My F150 is better than that.

For sure you are pegging the red limiter on payload with that 5th wheel!

GLWS!

16. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

What he said. There were no diesel emissions on my car when I had a VW diesel (Bucks County).

17. michaelrc51

Yeah, payload is the dilemma with buying any 3/4 ton truck. With a 3/4 ton, until this year, the GVWR is 10k lbs.

Payload = GVWR - weight if truck

Payload is the weight of anything you put in truck + trailer tongue or pin weight

So, more options on the truck equals more weight which diminishes payload more. In my case, the truck is a fully optioned, limited truck weighing almost 8250lbs.

The only differences between 3/4 and 1 ton SRW 4th gen Rams are 2 things:
    1. The differential, because of the leaf spring mounts. And rear leaf springs, a 2500 has coil springs.
    2. The GVWR and door sticker.

Payload doesn’t have anything to do with rev limiter, although gearing is taken into account.

This truck is no where near the rev limiter when towing at 70mph+, even 80mph+.

With over 500hp and over 1000 ft/lbs this truck would tow the trailer without wheels on the trailer.

18. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

I know you said you didn't want to put it back to stock, but if it comes to it, I know a guy with a '16 2500 that wouldn't mind taking that d eleted setup off your hands!

19. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

The numbers game is just that...a fuggin game. I don't care what the door jam sticker says, I'd rather pull the 5th wheel in OP's pics with his truck over any half ton pick up truck out there.

The towing numbers debate will wage on as long as "what kind of oil should I run" debate will go on for. I would give more of a shit about the 3/4 ton payload "issue" if it wasn't common knowledge that they stick to 10k GVWR for skirting road policies. It is literally nothing more than a papers number game and nothing to do with actual tow/load capacity of the truck itself.

If I can look at the real numbers that matter to me - tire load capacity and axle weight capacity, and those are OK, then I'm just fine with exceeding the payload. Nobody gives a shit about the small recreational guy towing a RV. Well, as long as it "appears" as if your tow rig/trailer combo looks appropiate. I remember this Chevy Blazer I saw pulling a 30' bumper pull last year...hazards on, rear end sitting on the bumpstops, dude probably pegging it off the rev limiter while doing 45 on a 65MPH listed highway...trailer swaying back and forth more than Ron Jeremy earning a paycheck on a water bed...yeah that'll get you some attention from a state trooper. OP's rig? Wouldn't give him a second look.

Ducti89 and michaelrc51 like this.
  20. michaelrc51

Yeah! This exactly!

And to boot, some commercial driver’s get trucks plated to legally pull 25k lbs with a 2500!

My only concern is IF there was an accident. Apparently the numbers are one of the first things they look at.

I towed that setup 2600 miles last year without any issue. Truck really pulls it with no problems!

As for selling this truck now, I’m on the fence. I love this truck. I don’t want to spend $20k or so more for a new one. I put it up for sale with a higher end spectrum price tag on purpose. If someone will give me what I want then I’ll sell it. If not, no big deal.....I’ll keep on doing what I have been until I get the right deal.

Wheel Bearing likes this.