1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2016 KTM 450 SFX

Discussion in 'General' started by TLR67, Jun 15, 2019.

1. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

got a lead on one with 80 hours for 5K... anyone have one here? Looking to get a good 450 for the dirt and this one is around the corner..it’s not the race edition with the AKRA etc just the base model.. the hours are a concern but I went to see it and it’s a clean bike.. sorry SXF

2. 418

418 Expert #59

Do you actually want a MX bike or a woods bike? Cause the SXF is a MX bike. At that price point you're not too far off getting a left over new Japanese MX bike. I've seen left over RMZ450's for $6Kish.

Unless you just gotta have orange...

3. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Yeah I have a lead on a 2018 RMX wit 1 hour on it for 5400... Think I might go that route...

418 likes this.
  4. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

450 is a BIG bike in the woods. it will ride you, v.s you riding it by the end of the day, if you are not in shape and or have BIG SKILLS on a dirt bike. i raced mx. sx ax, and supermoto. i raced 125cc 2 strokes, and jumped to the 450 4 stroke, for supermoto. although the power is addicting, and you can be lazy on the bike, and make up for it with throttle in open areas. when you get fatigued, and whiskey throttle it... IT WILL HURT YOU.

i looked and looked for a good clean 450 because, that was what my ego was telling me to. then I started researching more, and decided i didnt want to track ride it much, or anymore and started looking at the smaller bikes (ktm 350 4 stroke) is what i lusted after. figured 250 weight, and 450 power, without the big hit. the 10g price tag on a new ktm and the higher cost of maintenance, was steering me to the asian offerings but, no one has a 350 in the asian markets.

in the mean time, i found a year old ktm 250f 4 stroke (2017 m.y) with 1.3 hours on it with ZERO DAMAGE OR DRAMA. was able to secure a good deal on it. I FRIGGEN LOVE THE KTM 250F IN THE WOODS. plenty of power to have fun, flickable, easy to ride all day, doesnt wear you out in 10 minutes.

Melka can chime in too, he has BIG SKILLS and races enduro, and harescrambles, regionally and nationally. his advice helped make my 250f decision.

good luck Marc, you will have to make the trek north, several of the stt north guys, are woods riders, and we have access to thousands of miles of woods riding here. we will treat you well. I am healing from 2 surgeries, hope to be on a bike by august 1st. i am really enjoying the woods riding we did last year. come on up. Ski

MELK-MAN, TurboBlew and TLR67 like this.
  5. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Yeah I here ya about the 450/250.. I am going to possibly tard it out as well reasoning the 450... my last MX bike was a KX 500 so I am used to the power..I did ride a new Beta 300 2 stroke with a recluse clutch etc and loved it.. however I can’t afford it on a 5K budget right now... I went with Richard and Tim toTop Trails over in Talladega last Thurs.. that is a big reason I am looking at the Dirt again.. I will definitely take you up on a Northern Trip for sure..

6. skidooboy

Tim, and Paul are some woods riding fools. fast as shit! makes you think how fast you are going, with trees only a few inches from the bars. speeds are slower than sportbikes BUT, the trees are immovable objects to cause serious and long lasting pain. :D LOL!

having previous 500 2 stroke experience will definitely help your cause. Ski

7. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

SX-F is a full on MX bike. unless you are planning on riding motocross mostly I'd stay away from it.

partially the 5 speed close ratio transmission, partly the stiffer suspension, 19" rear wheel, smaller gas tank, etc.

find a good 350 EXC or XC-F if you don't need street legal (EXC are street legal from the factory).

masshole and TLR67 like this.
  8. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Yeah I am headed towards Japan... might grab something next week...

9. skidooboy

yamaha yz450fx for the win! Ski

10. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

My buddy just bought one a few months ago. Might be the most beautiful bike I've ever seen.

11. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Yeah but hard to find with low hours in my budget...that would be my first pick...

12. DWhyte91

DWhyte91 Well-Known Member

Yz250x?

13. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Yeah I like the XF too with electric start....

14. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

Millenium Technologies just came out with a complete 300cc kit for the Yamaha YZ250 2T MX bike. It's the whole dealio - cylinder, head, gaskets, pistons etc. On sale for $1k right now. You could pick up a used YZ250 cheap, bolt the kit on and have mega fun.

15. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Just bought a leftover 2018 RMX450 with one hour on it. Not a scratch on it for 5300 OTD. Now need to get some gear and TRS pins that will fit it.

418, MELK-MAN, skidooboy and 3 others like this.
  16. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

Sounds like a fantastic deal.

17. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Sorry RM-Z450 the one without lights....

18. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

Cool!

19. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Congrats.

And nooowww it has to go back for recalls....
    :Poke:@Steeltoe

:D

20. skidooboy

nice, time for fun!!! Ski

TLR67 likes this.