1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2015+ S1000rr electronic throttle fault

Discussion in 'Tech' started by GRH, Jun 17, 2019.

1. GRH

GRH Well-Known Member

Anyone have a solution to fix a persistent electronic throttle fault? Mine happens both with the stock throttle and with the aftermarket TGP throttle. I usually put dielectric grease on my connectors so I tried it with and without, doesn't seem to matter. I tried bending the male pins on the throttle tube to get better contact with the mating contacts. Not much there either.
    Power cycling fixes the problem for a while but it comes back at some point, sometimes while riding, sometimes in the garage after startup. If it happens while riding it goes into limp mode and basically goes up to 2000 rpms only.
    Wiring harness is in good shape.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
  2. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

It's likely the problem is with the throttle body servos.

Odilup likes this.
  3. blue03R6

blue03R6 Well-Known Member

check with a bmw mechanic but most bikes ecu does not know if a sensor is failing. it's only monitoring the received voltages. which means it's basically only monitoring for broken wiring or a dead sensor and not bad data from the sensors. as in it's doesnt know if your sensor is skipping or out of range.

4. Odilup

Odilup Well-Known Member

First thing to do is sync the throttle with ISTA. If it still does it, I would try a new throttle body servo.

5. GRH

GRH Well-Known Member

I have a GS-911 tool and tried re-calibrating the twist throttle and throttle valve several times. I ordered and replaced the TPS sensor, ran the engine until the fan came on per the instructions, then did a twist throttle recalibration again. Seems ok so far in taking it up and down the road a few times. Need to run it longer to be sure.
    Had to pull the throttle bodies off to get to the tamper proof torx screws that hold the TPS sensor on.

6. GRH

GRH Well-Known Member

TPS sensor didn't fix the problem, bike faulted 20 times yesterday at a trackday, twice while on the track, a guy pitted next to me has the same bike same year and he is having the same problems