1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2015 R1, intermittent CEL

Discussion in 'Tech' started by tophyr, Jul 22, 2017.

1. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

Last two sessions my R1 - stock motor and computer - has turned on its CEL and turned off its LCS/QS/LIF indicators after a couple hot laps. No code is displayed next to the CEL and the bike sounds/feels fine, but I put my hand up and pull off cuz I dunno wtf's up. As I do effectively a cooldown lap, the CEL turns off and the indicators turn back on.

What would cause this? Is there a way to pull a stored code or some memory of why the ECU was angry?

2. twodocs

twodocs Well-Known Member

My 15 with FTecu setup has misc lights and failures too. Check the R1 forum, you can enter the diag mode from your dash by pressing a few buttons and scroll through the error codes. Don't recall exact sequence off my head

3. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

More info: Apparently the computer's not 100% stock, it's been Flashtuned but I don't know what setup. Talking to the (frustratingly, only) guy in the pits who knows about R1 electronics at all, it seems like one of the the only things that could happen to turn off the LCS/QS/LIF indicators is one of the wheel speed sensors to error out. He thinks it's pretty weird that no code gets displayed next to the CEL, and that it clears itself, however. My best guess is that one of the sensors is getting too hot, since they're very close to the brakes, and once it cools down it begins functioning normally again. We'll see.

4. amartin

amartin Well-Known Member

I am not an expert on the subject, but can confirm observing a CEL without an accompanying error code after flashing a certain image.

Unless you think you have something special in there, I would suggest you flash with one of the unrestricted files and start over.

5. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

I have experienced similar issues if the wheelspeed rotors get slightly bent.

6. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

Interesting, thanks Rick. I'll check that