1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2015+ R1 Backfiring and flaming out the exhaust

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Robby-Bobby, Sep 5, 2017.

1. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

Ok so long story short, I am out of ideas and have literally worn out Livengood's phone:(

Customer brings his street hotrod to me because he "Blew it up"

I pull it apart and find that a piston had seized. we replaced and installed big bore and more performance parts at his request.

get it ready to crank up after priming, and notice it only shoots flames out the exhaust. like every 5th revolution....

shit, timing is off, pull motor, double check cam timing per Livengood numbers and its still spot on....

call customer and he then informs me that it didnt really blow up, he shut it off on another shops dyno and it wouldnt crank back up and only backfired..... same sympton.

Obviously I never tried to start it prior because he said it had blown up and I did not want to further damage it....

I checked all the simple stuff, crank sensor is perfectly in spec, but from what it acts like, there is a timing issue.

Anyone seen/heard of this? I am literally out of ideas.

2. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

I'd say turn around and sell the bike to some Fast n Furious street squid and tell him the bike has the flame mod installed. Naturally, increase the asking price accordingly.

badmoon692008 likes this.
  3. Robby-Bobby

Well it doesn't crank up and run.....

Guess I wasn't clear in that.

4. mike-guy

mike-guy Well-Known Member

Is there anyway some launch control thing is activating? I don't know how they work on bikes but I would imagine cuts or delays spark. Just throwing ou ideas

5. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

cold seize on the dyno?

6. Rhino48

Rhino48 Well-Known Member

Somebody crimp some wires together by accident trying to connect tach pickup?

7. Robby-Bobby

It seized at some point not sure about it being on dyno.

8. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Sounds like a V8 out 360º on ignition timing.

What about the pickup's gaps? Did he bend a crank end locking it up?

9. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

Wiring harness routed across the coils in reverse order?

10. Robby-Bobby

lol nope. That was first checked.

Also just found out customer flashed his own ecu....

The more questions I ask....

But apparently it was running then he turned it back on and wouldn't restart. Only would backfire...

Can a flash "go bad"??

11. emry

emry Can you count? 50 Fucking what?

You haven't gotten all of the story I think.

12. metricdevilmoto

Check it again. For real. I had a new R1 come in after a trans recall that the dealership couldn't get started and it did the exact same thing because it was firing the plugs on the exhaust side. The R1 harness is even easier to mix up than the R6 harness.

It would crank, but spit fire like its name was Dylon.

throwdown and socalrider like this.
  13. metricdevilmoto

And I also think this. And, maybe, two different problems.

14. Robby-Bobby

Unless the numbers magically changed themselves then it's right.

Especially since it was running.

15. Robby-Bobby

The more I diagnose, and call him with questions, the more I learn...

I'm keeping track of hours.

badmoon692008 likes this.
  16. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

[​IMG]

Have you flashed the OEM .bin file back onto the ECU to eliminate that variable?

17. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

It's an obvious question, but have you tried another ECU?

18. Have you take a good shit today? If not...

19. surfingsk8r

surfingsk8r Well-Known Member

Flashes do go bad for a few reasons. Usually though there is an error with the bin file its self that is corrupted. It's not very often but it does happen and the symptoms are different each time I have seen it. I'm not saying this is your problem but it could be your problem.

The first time I ran into that we were up all night rebuilding the trans in the car and I had burned a new chip based on the pass we had gotten before that. Right away the car was off and after trying to pull out of the pit area it died. I couldn't figure it out and tried re burning the map a few times and even reverted the changes and then reburned with no success. After trying everything including a different ecu and chip (but my bin file freshly burned to it) i decided to give a friend a call who said to copy all of my mapping to a new file completely and then re burn the chip. That worked and nothing changed in the map from the first realized issue to when it got working except the file was coming from a different area in my laptops memory.

20. metricdevilmoto

We talked a little bit the other day. His problem is a lying customer. The good news is, his customer is paying him shop rate to find out he's lying.

ekraft84, Shenanigans and emry like this.