1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2015/2016 Hunting Thread

Discussion in 'General' started by sbhockey, Sep 18, 2015.

1. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

Whats your backup in case you lose against the pig?

2. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

I knifed a hog once. I think I had maybe 6 beers while the guy i was with had about 42. He was an old linebacker or something at Delta state I think in MS so he could drink a bunch but I think it helped when we were running toward the hogs in the early AM with knives.

I'm headed down to hunt this weekend. It's dry as a bone in AL so If I can find water I'll find animals

3. socalrider

socalrider pathetic and rude

not speaking for SteveThompson, but when i was looking at those hunts... the dogs are the backup. the handler would let the dogs in to get the pig off of you, but you need to get back at the pig before it hurts the dogs. the guide i talked to said he loses 1 dog per season.

speedluvn likes this.
  4. SteveThompson

SteveThompson Banned by amafan

I have video of a dog flying through the air from getting a little too close and the hog tossed him. I have only done this twice, but it seems like the real trick is getting the hog's back legs off the ground. If you grab his legs and twist him to the side then he doesn't have enough traction or balance to swing around and gut you. That's all a little easier said than done. Imagine grabbing Mongo by the legs and trying to turn him over while he is fighting back as much as possible. It kinda felt like that. It's a rush for sure.

I did eat the meat in case anyone was wondering.

5. socalrider

Ive only got two pounds left of the hog i got in may..im hoarding it... its delicious. i think the pic is page 5 of this thread, but i shot mine. :beer:

Last edited: Nov 18, 2016
  6. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

And the taste vs. domesticated pig?

7. assjuice cyrus

assjuice cyrus Well-Known Member

Damn, don't f@ck with Steve Thompson........:dead::D

8. socalrider

Depends on the cut. the chops are tougher, but the ribs are superior in flavor and texture (to me at least) and the sauasage i had made is just incredible.

9. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

Jamie,
    Come on back next year, we still have plenty of moose. Most of the locals did pretty well this year. It was a little down for the guides.

I am planning on making a caribou hunting trip here after Thanksgiving, over by Koyuk (look it up on Google maps). My assistant principal has a plane and friends there with snow machines we can borrow. It should be a quick flight over, stay overnight with his friends and then go out the next day and shoot a couple each and then a quick flight back home. The short days won't help, but it should be a fun trip.

10. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

"What's for dinner, honey, I'm starving"
    "Moose, Ken. It's always moose, you know that".

11. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

I can certainly share some moose recipes with anybody that has some moose and wants to know how to fix it. Pulled moose, moose stew, barbecue moose sandwich. etc. These recipes also work well for caribou. I can also help you guys out with ideas for snow shoe hare, ptarmigan and spruce hen. I had some pretty decent beaver at our last potlatch, but didn't care for the porcupine or bear as much.

See, it isn't moose all the time, just most of the time. We had moose soup tonight.

12. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

Huh. I had always heard (on the Al Gores) that feral hogs were not good eating. That's good to hear, trying to organize a trip to TN next Spring where a buddy's brother has property.

Got skunked today trying to get at some pheasants. Saw a few, but the dog got too far ahead of us and flushed them early. My buddy is still training her.

13. Steak Travis

It's dry in AL and no greenfields but I only go to those if I'm being lazy .

So far I've got one doe, one pregnant Sow, bobcat and a coyote down .

I've seen tons of deer but no bucks big enough for me to shoot . 6.8spc has been great

14. Kris87

Kris87 Friendly Smartass

Figured I'd knock another one down over the weekend. Gonna have to start thinning out the does now.

[​IMG]

rd400racer likes this.
  15. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

Geez, how many bucks can you shoot a year?

16. Kris87

Kris87 Friendly Smartass

2 here in GA, and 1 in KY. I gotta find me another state now. :D

17. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

My brother and his boys in Iowa last week... 14804412934021.jpg 14804412748950.jpg

18. Steak Travis

Ended up with 2 does, 4 hogs, 1 coyote and 1 bobcat down last weekend plus 2 days. Saw a ton of deer but nothing I wanted besides the doe meat.

I should have had more hogs down from what I saw but didn't have my AR every time

19. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

20. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

We didn't get squat, but I had a good time hiking through the woods with my daughter and her boyfriend. And we had an epic fire on Thanksgiving night:D

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

V5 Racer likes this.