1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2014 BMW S1000rr false neutrals

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Hotfoot, Mar 28, 2018.

1. Hotfoot

Hotfoot Well-Known Member

Looking for advice on a 2014 S1000rr that gets occasional false neutrals, generally on the downshift from 3rd to 2nd, but also (rarely) pops out of gear on an upshift.

A couple of years ago I researched this a lot, had the transmission inspected (everything looked fine) and replaced the shift spring with a stiffer one (I think it was the Factory Pro) and did a lot of fiddling with shift lever placement. The improvements took the problem from a once-per-session issue on trackdays to about a once-per-day problem, a huge improvement... and also I mostly just stopped using second gear when riding at max pace.

However on my last track day it popped out of gear and I nearly got plowed by someone behind me so I am revisiting the issue. I have a really superior suspension in this bike and that is my reason for not wanting to get rid of it, it handles better than anything I've ever ridden, and I regularly ride the current model S1000rrs every year including the current 2018s. I never have any shifting difficulties with any of the other S1000rrs, and other riders have ridden my 2014 and had the same trouble, I don't think it is an issue with how I am shifting it.

Questions:
    1) Should I consider just replacing the whole transmission, and would that solve it or just give me a different transmission likely to have the same problem?
    2) Are there other mods I should consider like different rearsets or shift lever?
    3) Is the Regulus Racing Shift Solution still available? The website seems to be gone, can't find any info other than old posts on S1000rr forums.
    4) Is it possible to do a transmission upgrade and get the BMW shift assist for both up and downshifts? The 2014 only had it on upshifting, downshift assist started in 2015. Getting that feature would make the cost of transmission replacement more palatable.

2. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

I recall the transmissions on those being fairly maintenance intensive and that being the option for those that chose to race them.

3. nlzmo400r

nlzmo400r Well-Known Member

If all exterior components are straight/true and not bending or binding, then the issue is internal certainly. If the gearbox is 'popping' out of gear on upshifts sometimes and getting false nuetrals, it can really only be a few things - dogs, selector forks or shift drum. These components need to be removed, inspected and maybe replaced. The shift forks are by far the most fragile items and are most prone to bending. The dogs and drum usually only take a beating over tons of miles or grinding/abusing the gearbox.

My vote is take it apart and find the culprit. BUT, I'd be willing to be if you got a replacement gearbox (of known quality) and just slapped it in, your issue would be resolved too.

4. Hotfoot

Exterior components have been checked thoroughly and multiple times by various knowledgeable people familiar with the S1000rr, the internals checked twice with no apparent problem. But, since the problem is not GONE I am leaning more and more towards just changing out parts to try to fix it completely, it is definitely no fun to have it happen when riding hard. The annoying thing is that the problem is difficult to reproduce, I could probably ride the thing on the street for a year without having it happen.

5. beathiswon

beathiswon Well-Known Member

Did they take the components apart and check for damage or galling on all the pivot points. Any aftermarket parts? I have seen occasionally some parts that don't get lubed enough develop sticky spots or are just gunked up from lack of cleaning the internals. Also if a pivot is just slightly machined wrong it can work fine but fails when it gets hot causing the linkage to stick. I had a shift lever from a very reputable mfr. seize on me during a race. Worked fine on the street but the heat from racing did it. Turned out to be out of tolerance from the mfr.

6. Hotfoot

No aftermarket parts at all, except the stiffer shift spring that we added in a partially-successful attempt to fix it. Good point about heat, I hadn't thought of that but for sure the problem has occurred more often mid-day and always in the middle of, or late in a ride session, can't think of a time where it ever happened in early laps, or when the bike was cold.

7. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

I just looked at Brocks and R&Ds site for any specific 1000rr transmission parts nothing stood out as far as redesigned parts.
    Id take nizmos advice.

8. Odilup

Odilup Well-Known Member

Selector shaft. Been there. Be willing to put $ on it.

PN 23008528164

No way to add the OEM blipper to previous gens. ECU is different.

Hotfoot likes this.
  9. Hotfoot

Yeah, that's what I thought on the ECU. Thank you for the recommendation on the selector shaft and especially for providing the part number, definitely sounds worth a try and aligns with some of what I saw on the S1000rr forums.

10. Odilup

Odilup Well-Known Member

Much cheaper to try that then tear open cases. Post up if it works. The Regulus shift solution was a great piece of kit, I had it on my 2012. Running a 2015 now. I have a lot of experience with these bikes, feel free to PM me if you get stumped with something.

11. Blue Junk

Blue Junk Well-Known Member

There’s a fairly known fix for this issue. There’s an updated output shaft bearing and spring that solves it. Changes the bearin from a single row 8 ball to a double row 9 and a larger spring. We’ve installed 10 or so and everyone had amazing results.

If youre interested let me know and I can get you setup. We have them in stock at my work. I believe the parts are $300. I’m sure we can get it a deal on them though

Boman Forklift likes this.
  12. S1kErik

S1kErik New Member

It's an old post but worth a shot.Im having similar issues with my 2015 s1000rr.Im interested in the upgraded output shaft bearing and spring