1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2012 Vintage National Championship determination (V1-V6lw)

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by 50Joe, Dec 13, 2011.

1. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

Don't use this thread to bitch about the schedule changes. It is what it is, so move along now and plan for 2012. The determination of how the national champion is decided is not set in stone. What we do know is change is a certainty. I was going to e-mail Sean some ideas, but in the vein of transparency I thought I'd start a thread on the topic. Please keep your responses logical, thoughtful, and respectful. After all, this IS the WERA bbs. :D

Ideas to decide the overall national champion:
    A. Adopt the sportsman class methodology where winner at the GNF takes all.
    B. Use a hybrid of the 2011 system but reduce the number of top finishes needed plus double points GNF. Maybe top 3 finishes in any region plus double GNF?
    C. Winner takes all at the GNF but you must have finished in the class X number of races in the year (maybe 2 or 3?)
    D. Most points win period (no double points for the GNF).
    E. Other ideas?

2. Duck150

Duck150 Well-Known Member

Since you left the gp racers out,I vote we show up and bring guns,knifes and chains and last bike running wins or last man standing....if not the old system was cool with maybe a few less races.....top 5 instead of 6.................

3. CharlieY

CharlieY Well-Known Member

Joe,

I vote B.

I think the double points is a good thing, and gives it the "Almost" anything can happen feel.

I'm not a fan of the winner take all. In vintage, I think that would hurt entries more.

An example could be made of your friend doug (wouldnt be the first time, huh?). With the winner take all format, he could show up for one race, go to GNF, and have a shot at the title.....currently, he has to show up for 6 races.

4. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

Remember kids, currently in the schedule are:
    Northeast / MidAtlantic - 3 race dates
    North central - 4 race dates
    North Florida - 3 race dates
    Southeast - 4 race dates
    West - not sure.

So, top 5 finishes is hard to do for those folks in most regions. But, not determined yet is if Saturday vintage is included at the Road A Cycle fest in June.

Don't worry about Doug. He's getting old...... :D. Wait, getting old? He IS old......:D

5. CharlieY

I would pick the region with the LEAST Vintage races, and use that number as the races you bring to GNF....looks like 3.

Just my 2c sir.

6. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

I have seen a few comments on this from the thread in General, so I am just going to throw this out there. There is a group of us that resides in what I would call "no man's land". We are 8 hours from a variety of tracks. Nashville was once the home track but that is gone.

I'm not chasing any particular region's points. I'll be happy to catch Nelson, Tally, Blackhawk or Grattan (I know, 3 are in North Central..stay with me). What I'm getting at is I'll be jumping all over regions. Just trying to see how this might fit into the points equation.

I might be the only guy like this. But if there are others that will be doing this, speak up.

7. Duck150

I think top 5 can work......my thoughts only.....and yes Joe Joe I am getting old...but...I may have a few battles left in me................

8. flyingpig70

flyingpig70 Well-Known Member

Where does V7HW fall into or out of? Never raced it, but plan to, so just wondering.

9. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

I just want to know what you guys equate as old?

I'm 51 and feel like a spring chicken!

10. GypsyRacing

GypsyRacing V7 Gypsy

V7 MW/HW and V6HW race during all the double header sportsman rounds, national rounds and Sunday on combined Vintage/Sportsman events.

So that's like 10-12 rounds a year..............i would suggest we stay with the top 6 best finishes in any region and GNF is a double points.............but that is just me.

:beer:

11. flyingpig70

flyingpig70 Well-Known Member

Thanks, :beer:

12. CharlieY

You'd be fine chasing a National. The jumping around would only hurt you in regional titles.

IF 3 becomes the magic number, and your 3 best finishes are from 3 different regions, Thats OK, and thats what you bring to GNF.

I'm 4 weeks shy of 50 yrs young.....Bowie is only slightly older, but definetley high mileage.:D

13. CharlieY

6 is fine with 12 races, but I disagree when there are only 4 races.

Maybe since you guys have been adopted into the modern fold, you should adopt their points system too.....???

I can see what you are saying about the number being 3, and you run 12 rounds....it would be pretty tight at GNF with 2 dozen guys with the same amount of points....that could be good or bad.

Then the flipside, if it stays at 6, and we only have 4....most guys would just have less than 6.....but someone could travel out of region and pick up another race, and its points....you could essentially "Travel your way to the title", if it stays at 6 best.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2011
  14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

That would effectively turn those classes into winner take all which doesn't work so they'll stay the way they are now with 6 plus double points at the GNF.

I'm leaning towards 3 plus double for the other classes.

15. CharlieY

3 looks logical to me. If you make it 4, guys in a region with 3 races, who want a shot at the title, will have to travel to an out of region race....which is do-able, but still.

Actually 4 is probably the "better" number, but with 3 races in a region, thats difficult.

my 2c

Last edited: Dec 13, 2011
  16. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

North Central has 5 race dates, VMD scores points on both Saturday and Sunday.

I'd suggest using 4 best finishes, it's not too difficult for the Florida and NE/MA guys to get to another track that's not too far away.

Kids!

17. CharlieY

Forgot about VMD....good catch Robin...or should we call you crusty? :D

18. james walker

james walker beat down, broken & busted

i like B or C.

D's still an attendance award. too easy.

19. videojack

videojack Racing for Therapy

Time for this contrarian to jump into the fray...

After seasons of 12 or more races in the southeast for years, I am going to be in withdrawl. Might even have to see are real therapist...

So, 5 or 6 best scores might mean travelling to one or two other places in our great nation, but it'd do more for the economy than anything that has come out of the white house the past three years...

20. Duck150

5 would not be to hard to do.......4 maybe but 5 wouldn't take much with cycle jam and mid ohio....3 would take all the fun out.........................all but maybe Charlie since that all he does anyhow...............