1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2012 Rules

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by Mongo, Feb 23, 2012.

1. Steve 976

Steve 976 Well-Known Member

I don't get the footpeg rule in Ahrma. I am building a XS650 for my next door neighbor to run this year. We got it put together last night. I don't know how he is going to ride the thing. With the stock footpeg location and the clubman bars, you end up hunched over like a troll on the thing. He's 6'6" so should be fun to watch..

2. drgonzo

drgonzo Well-Known Member

Helps to be shorter. When/where does he plan on debuting? We need more riders.

3. Steve 976

Provided there are no more issues with the bike, he is taking the roadracing school at Talladega Ahrma race. Hopefully we will make Barber a week later.

4. drgonzo

drgonzo Well-Known Member

Cool. I should be there. Does the KWC plan to attend in force?

5. Steve 976

I have no idea. I know Chuck, Samir, and I are in. I think Wayne is coming. Not sure about anybody else. I plan to run both weekends.

6. james walker

james walker beat down, broken & busted

can one obtain a license, register to race AND race all in one day at an AHRMA event? Tally in particular. or would i need to start the process in advance? ive heard what a cluster f@ck those events can be. :D

i only ask because of that new rule about doing an event prior to the Barber event. before i die, i'd really like to know what it's like to be on track and race with that many bikes...hopefully the two events do not coincide. :eek:

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

So is there anything in the last bunch of pages that I need to read for the rules? :D

8. bullockcm

bullockcm Well-Known Member

I don't think so unless you want to know about gardening gloves, stock footpegs, clubmans, and people over 6' tall being uncomfortable.

9. james walker

james walker beat down, broken & busted

^ that pretty well sums it up :D

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I'm over 6', got that covered, prefer leather over cotton for gardening, stock pegs are okay but usually need to be shortened, not sure what clubmans means so I guess I'm set, thanks!

11. ringdingding

ringdingding TWO-STROKE MILITIA

Ditch the clubman bars and put on a set of superbike bars. I raced with clubmans and stock pegs and later rearsets on the RD, my neck never recovered.

12. ringdingding

ringdingding TWO-STROKE MILITIA

With limitations, SS or production based, could be a good fit and run well with or maybe a little faster than the CB's, totally uncorked it would make a class champion, too much for the class.

Based on lap times at SP, comparing my, yes it is totally stock, RD350 to the CB's, a stock piped RD250, stock drum brake, stock chassis, with stock engine internals would make for a great battle with the CB's bumping into GP500. Yet would not be a threat to full on GP500 machines.

13. 70yamahaR5

70yamahaR5 Well-Known Member

+1 :up:

As in this clip that is from the general section...
    http://www.superbikeplanet.com/2012/Mar/120323g.htm

No less than four six-cylinder Hondas and a GS1000 or two running around with forward pegs, big bars and 4:2 exhausts in '78.

But then I just replaced the superbike bar on my Yosh GS1000 with FTTP clip-ons, so I guess I'm a hypocrite. So be it. I'm going to bring the long bar to the track as a plan B, just in case the clip-ons don't give me enough leverage.

14. mgmark

mgmark George Tirebiter for President

You have to be genetically predisposed to have the "clubman neck kink" or you're stuck with superbike bars.

I'm considering putting Walker on my DS7 for a GP350 race to see if he can beat Doug. THEN we'll know what's up. :D

I might have a job! Now I need to get time off so I can race. :up:

Mark

15. charles

charles The Transporter

Tell them you refuse to go to work unless first given days off for racing- that's fair!

16. Hate McDead

Hate McDead Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure that you can do the race school on Friday. Race on Sat/Sun
    You may need to contact them because it seems wholly unfair to show up, sign up for race school and get penalized across the board by not getting the pre-registration rates. However, I suspect that you'd get the preregistration rates as I've found that group to be pretty fair. Consider it 'fresh meat' rates...........

Last edited: Mar 30, 2012
  17. Hate McDead

Hate McDead Well-Known Member

Word is that Charles has a variation of a 'prenuptial race agreement' with a new employer that has a primary clause allowing you to go racing anytime, anywhere with full pay and benefits. Charles will negotiate this employment portion of your employment contract for you on this. He's also been known to blackmail sponsorship out of employers too. All the employees at Charles' Haggis farm/factory have opted for this as well as getting all the free haggis they can eat.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2012
  18. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

I don't think he'll need to do the race school as he already has an WERA licence. I got my AHRMA licence based on holding a WERA one.

19. WERA854

WERA854 Well-Known Member

Walker could teach the school at Tally. :D

20. charles

charles The Transporter

Employers are like pet chickens; they both need to be trained.

What is the sense of working if you can't go racing (with paid vacation days).