1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2012 Endurance Series cut down to 5 rounds?

Discussion in 'WERA National Endurance Series' started by mperussault, Nov 2, 2011.

1. mperussault

mperussault Well-Known Member

First, to Sean Clarke and all the people at WERA: thank you for running the best Endurance series in the USA. This was our first full year in Endurance and as a result we got to meet a lot of WERA people in and off pit lane. Everybody was extremely helpful and knowledgeable and it was great to have people that truly care and know what they are doing running the races. After hours, some of you are great to party with as well. And Evelyn speaks French!

Second, I am going to ask again that you please do all that you can do to keep the Endurance series alive and running 100% with all 7 rounds for 2012.

As we discussed in a previous thread, cutting the VIR and Barber rounds out of the series is not going to make this the exciting series that it is today. I understand that you have financial considerations that lead you to cut tracks that are expensive to rent / not as profitable. I was happy to see that you had 22 entries at the RA GNF endurance round. May be things will turn around in 2012 and more of the many late baby boomers “Seniors” (that usually have plenty of cash) will race endurance in 2012. If you have to increase the WERA entries fees for endurance for all the rounds to keep the series going, do that, and keep the 7 rounds running. 4 rounds plus Miller Utah is just not going to help or be appealing to anybody.

I sincerely hope that you come up with something.

Again, thanks for a great racing season.

2. gixxernaut

gixxernaut Hold my beer & watch this

It's truly unfortunate that endurance is suffering from low turnout these days. Obviously it's not economically feasible to devote 4 hours of track time for just a few teams. Hopefully a viable business plan can be achieved that accommodates the variety of tracks we'd like to see along with being fiscally sound.

I'm looking forward to see what the schedule looks like next year so I can start planning.

3. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

I plan to race the series this year. If they needed a financial commitment for particular tracks... I wouldnt have a problem preregistering/paying in advance.

4. t11ravis

t11ravis huge carbon footprint

Cool Steve, will be good to see you out there. :up: What bike?

Jolly Roger is a definite for 2012. We're 100% for any eastern round (MI as well) and 50/50 for Miller.
    We would love to see 7 rounds if at all possible but certainly understand the current climate. If I had a vote I'd go for the cheaper tracks if that meant more rounds.

See you guys next year. :beer:

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Let me put it to you this way - Barber, track rental 12k. Just rental. No personnel, nothing else. Endurance income - 8k. We can't afford that. I love the Endurance series more than even the majority of you running it but WERA has to be in business to run any racing at all and the Endurance is not holding up it's end. We can afford to lose at some rounds but not 7-8 a year.

6. AFM555

AFM555 The Surf Monkey

What a bummer. We were really looking forward to running Barber too. I wonder why Endurance is taking such a hit these days? Too much specialized equipment these days to be competitive or just straight up money woes to even be there? :(

7. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

No factory contingency, difficulty getting tire deals are the biggest reason we are no longer racing.
    And before that, low turn out in some of the classes, meant no payout anyway.
    It's a shame, I really miss it. Not sure it will be coming back any time soon.
    I'm on the verge of selling my radios,transponder and dump can :(

8. punkadilly

punkadilly Well-Known Member

We had our first taste of endurance racing this year ... loved it. Joe has plans to run both endurance & sprints next year - I can say we'll hate to see it cut back but do understand.

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Straight up total cost for a round is the main reason. Add in that these days guys are a lot more stingy with their machines, used to be a LOT of teams that were started because one guy said hey I've got a bike, lets go ride.

But like JU has said about ALL of racing, it's the economy. Endurance has always been a fringe thing to sprints. Remove as many sprint riders has we have over the last 3 years and I'm surprised we have any teams running the series.

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Rogers bullshit series and a lot of teams jumping ship then going bust didn't help either (the radios made me think of it). Also burnt out a lot of newer teams that could have survived a lot longer doing our stuff but they as always believed the bullshit and got nowhere. Too bad really. Smoke and mirrors is always more attractive than an endurance series that actually still exists after he has run and killed multiple ones.

11. 2OLD2SLOW

2OLD2SLOW Well-Known Member

:up: And you wonder why they say, "history tends to repeat itself"... Maybe they had Roger in mind.

12. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

I don't think so. WERA has always been straight forward. You know what you're getting into.
    Just like DMG and AMA, rules were always changing with Moto-ST/GT.
    Lot's of behind the scene bullshit.
    As far as radios, I bought those well before that series began.
    It's not that big of an investment. Having dump cans and gas tanks built
    was my highest initial cost, besides the price of the bike{s}.

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

You evidently don't know enough of the history of Roger...

14. kanatuna

kanatuna You can't polish a turd..

So is there a thread regarding this series and this Roger fella? I was asked to run on 2 or 3 endurance teams this past year and just never did for one reason or another. I'm interested....

15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Doubt it. The series was twins based and ran with some Grand Am car races. It was the baby Roger of Edmondoson who worked for WERA, then started CCS, then worked with AMA, then Grand Am, then DMG who bought AMA Pro. My point about the history stuff is none of his Endurance Series have ever survived.

16. kanatuna

kanatuna You can't polish a turd..

O....got it. I'm slightly familiar with all that, just didnt know the guys name.

17. 2OLD2SLOW

2OLD2SLOW Well-Known Member

As you might conclude based on my sign in name, I have been around awhile too and have heard the grand visions for endurance racing from Roger's point of view and I even raced in a few of those now defunct series, but nothing has had the long term viability and professionalism that WERA has represented, much less the WERA series longevity. Even if it were a 3 race series, I would still be proud to run to chase a WERA National Championship! Oops, almost forgot... I am too slow at this point to be a champion any more!

18. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

I did not know that he worked for WERA. I know most of the rest.
    My point was that I don't believe anyone thinks of WERA that way.

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I hope not, that's not how Evelyne runs things for sure. What I meant by the history of Roger is that it's SOP for things to be like that. Always happened in all of the different series but people kept believing the sales pitch every time.

20. mperussault

mperussault Well-Known Member

I am also willing to commit to all the rounds except Miller UT which we cannot afford to go to and is the equivalent in costs to 5 ASRA Team Challenge rounds for an eastern based race team "just" to get there and come back. You see Sean, we are financialy motivated as well and you need to keep this in mind as you make decisions.
    Team Coyote is fully committed to the WERA Endurance series in 2012, but we are just not too happy about the short race schedule anticipated.
    I wonder if other teams are willing to jump in this thread and commit to their 2012 plans and give WERA some feedback for the Endurance series attendance?
    Michel.