1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2012 Camry w/ 125K Miles: What Preventative Maintenance Should Be Performed?

Discussion in 'General' started by YamahaRick, Sep 17, 2019.

1. beechkingd

beechkingd Well-Known Member

I wouldn't touch any of these. My last 3 Toyota's had the original plugs through and past 250K. I would do the trans fluid, I just drain the pan and refill with the Toyota fluid.

2. gixxerboy55

gixxerboy55 Well-Known Member

My 2010 does not even have dipstick,and requires someone who knows what they're doing, and believe it or not you need to use Toyota transmission fluid.

3. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

How about rustproofing ?

4. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

There’s usually a maintenance schedule that you follow in the owners manual. I have 127,??? on my dodge and go by the manual.

5. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

I live in The South, and not near a body of water. Not needed.

It stops at 125K. And I value input from this beeb more than other sources. Yeah, I know, but Lowered Expectations is OK with me. ;--)

BigBird and Phl218 like this.
  6. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

Most of the dealerships I've had to use (warranty on my new cars) have fucked stuff up so bad I don't even use new car warranty anymore, so yea, take it to someone who knows what they are doing, just because it's a dealer means absolutely nothing. Last dealer tech screwed up a 2 hour job, took him 16 hours! and screwed up two 800$ door panels, scratched paint, scratched widow visors, broke touchpad for code entry. Bet they made a lot on that job. Wife was ready to tear into the guy, never seen her so pissed, and i do my best to make her mad some days. :D

A lot of cars no longer have dipsticks, nothing new there.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2019
    BigBird and YamahaRick like this.
  7. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

Plugs every 100k (likely iridium). If they do wear its going to put excess strain on the coils. Probably don't have to do the coils till they fail, if they have replaceable boots, do that when you do spark plugs and dielectric grease a bit so you can get it off the next time for easier removal.

Fuel filter- of course! cheap insurance.

Trans fluid should be drain and refill, may take a different procedure but usually not too bad. Can do a few times to essentially "flush" the transmission. You're just diluting the old fluid with new is all. You'll never get it all out, but it holds more than one drain will remove for sure.

turner38 and YamahaRick like this.
  8. Phl218

Phl218 .

Stance it, fart can and plasti-dip neon yellow. Sell for 8 grand.

Buy new stock one at 60k miles and do process over

cha0s#242 and YamahaRick like this.
  9. YamahaRick

Already there my friend. ;--)

Phl218 likes this.
  10. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

Then you start the maintenance schedule over if I recall reading my manual correctly. But good luck :beer:

11. YamahaRick

I just found a YT vid that shows how to complete a full flush of transmission fluid w/o a pump. Depending upon the current color of the fluid, I will do this.

Replacing a fuel filter is a PITA. Maybe at 200K I'll replace the entire fuel pump assembly. It is in the tank, and located under the rear bench.

12. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

Those are the easiest ones. Try dropping the tank out of a mid 90's ranger in WI. You'll be lucky if one hammer blow doesn't cave the frame and knock the whole rear half of the truck off the hoist.