1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2011 r6 cutting off while riding

Discussion in 'Tech' started by thebigdog, Mar 25, 2016.

1. thebigdog

thebigdog Member

Can anybody help or give advice as to why this is happening? Bike will be running fine, all of a sudden, loss of power. Lights stay on, but no throttle at all. I'll still have the throttle open but it acts as if I'm letting off, slows down, and engine cuts off. Very random. Sometimes I'll ride and won't have any problems. But it seems to be happening more and more. Lifted gas tank today and seen the air box was missing a couple screws. Got some from the store so screwed it down but something I did see funny was there was fuel in the air box as if its not spraying directly into the injectors...dont know if that has anything to do with it but I'm pretty sure thats not supposed to be happening. Well, thanks for the help guys.

2. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

Fuel in the airbox cover is normal from the shower injectors. You have an electrical problem. Side stand switch, tip over switch, kill switch, etc. Look for codes on dash or the little light that looks like a V8 engine. Proceed from there.

3. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

We had a couple bad rectifiers. Might be worth checking.

4. TRK

TRK Well-Known Member

Do you have a quick shifter?

5. borislav

borislav Well-Known Member

I had same thing happened to me on my R6 at RA back straight, needless to say it was scary ... Found my kill switch was losing contact for a moment and basically kill my bike. Hope this helps.

6. racepro171

racepro171 to finish first, first you must finish!

ive seen a bad ecu flash do this, you could turn bike off and restart, its fine for about 30 sec, then shut throttle down again,

7. The answer is diagnostics. Go through it all. A bad battery will do it too. Start with the battery. That's the first place you need to go to on these bikes. Do a DC voltage test and an AC voltage test. Proceed from there.

8. John Hancock

John Hancock Well-Known Member

So my 04 R6 that's set upon street trim currently. Was riding the other day and accelerating from an intersection in a left turn and he engine shut off. I had to pull over put it in neural to restart. I happened again shortly after on the interstate. Rolling into 4th gear and at about 10k rpms it shut off again. Once again I had to pull over put it in neutral to restart. So where do u begin? ( the kickstand sensor has been bypassed) so I don't think that is the problem. Thinking the tip over sensor or rectifier or kill switch?