1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2010 Kid Youth Series begins planning

Discussion in '2-Stroke Machines' started by RepliChallenge, Aug 23, 2009.

1. Weve already put a call into WERA to discuss this with Evelyn. Shes supposedly is already hot for the idea.

Follow this on twitter though as we want to be able to see how many are actively interested in this, and this gives us the best way to track it.

http://twitter.com/RepliChallenge

2. Tdub

Tdub Say what???

The 2009 series was such a success why wouldn't the Czar be interested?:rolleyes:

3. Your so funnny!!!!!

4. Rad625

Rad625 Well-Known Member

5. Coke in can

Coke in can Banned

seriously, this guy again? dude, give it a rest.

6. racerdude777

racerdude777 New Member

Wow... I can't believe people sometimes. You folks batter this individual for what? Trying to get kids involved in motor sports? I mean, come on guys. Personally, I commend the individual for trying to get out there and get something started, especially something that gets the youth into an exciting and rewarding sport such as road racing. I am excited to see where this series goes and hopefully will be able to get my kids into it one day.

It is clear you are not bashing the idea so much as the individual but having known the creator of this series for the better part of five years now, I do not see why it is deserved. He has helped our family out beyond anything we could have ever asked and provided us with the necessary resources when there otherwise was none. I am the person I am today, in part, as a result of the opportunities he provided me and I am extremely grateful.

Rumors are just that folks, try to remember that.

I say kudos to this new series and have high hopes that it will turn out as successful as possible. I suggest everyone out there take a step back and assess this for what it could be, an awesome opportunity for America's youth.

7. edehaven

edehaven Eric DeHaven SoCalRaceDad

I don't think the issue is that Frank has not helped out a few kids, really just the Ferris' in particular.
    The bigger issue is that he has tried over and over to get these ideas going and each time the idea has not come to fruition. Its not rumors when these things are seen by everyone. And on top of that he has unfortunately picked battles of information with the wrong people more than once and this has devalued his intentions.

Frank has great intentions, but in the end intentions are just that.

There are many series around the country that are serious and have proven track records for getting kids involved in racing, www.scminigp.com for one has seen quite a few kids move up to the higher ranks very successfully.

WERA already has a great system for youth involvement by being the only club to allow 10yr olds on 125's. How exactly do you propose to make this better?

8. Johnny B

Johnny B Cone Rights Activist

Key word emphasized.

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Evelyne isn't hot for any idea that's been tried and failed. We'll entertain any idea that is viable that will help out kids. I doubt this idea will get to that level however since it would have to be a lot different than last years plan...

10. Rad625

Rad625 Well-Known Member

125 and 250 nationals with MD 250

11. Sean, I propose the following data:

1) Bike is cheaper NEW, $5200 +/-

2) Rebuild when needed (1500 miles, ask AF1 Aprilia about theirs) is cheaper. Around $200 in parts.

3) Bike is ridable by both kid and adult with NO required setting changes from rider to rider. ( ask AF 1 about their endurance riding of one this season), offering multiple class entries per weekend on same equipment.

4) Bike is easy on tires, and requires DOT tires, not slicks, but slicks do exist.

5). Many successful world class riders have started their careers on the same equipment.i.e., Bradley Smith, Casey Stoner,(both came up thru the BSB 125 Aprilia Cup), Marco Melandri, Mike DiMeglio,Valentino Rossi, etc, etc,.the list goes on IF you will look around, you will see, MOST successful world class riders have spent time in their early careers on this bike.

Most importantly is Bang for the buck, low maintenance for dad, and lots of seat time ( without tuning "problems") for the rider and family.

There was NO plan last year, this year was another attempt at an idea, and we put it out there. We will put it out there for the kids next year as well, with WERA ( our first choice due to your 10 year old allowable, which is why several didnt race this year with us....they couldnt, the kids were too young for CCS and USGPRU rules) or someone else.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2009
  12. Clay

Clay Well-Known Member

I'll throw my hat in the ring here (opinion). As a SPEC series it's a good idea (with race tires). Racing this bike in ANY other class isn't IMO. The bike is simply too slow. Even in the 125 class, it becomes dangerous for riders due to insanely different closing speeds. There's no way I would put my son on this bike in any other class than the spec class designed for it.

Frank, the problem I see here is that no one is going to buy a bike that can only be run in one class. The cost of the new bike is great, but people can buy a full setup 600 for that price. IMO, if you want to see the class get up to speed, buy a good stock of them and show up to the races ready to be rented. I don't think people have an aversion to racing a slow bike or a spec bike. The Ninja 250 class has been HUGE. But, you're going to have to get people on it first and invest in growing the class on your own. No one knows anything about this bike and 90% of people here (in the US) are afraid of 2-strokes.

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I guess I'm lost on one major thing - why? What is wrong with the classes the kids currently run? Is there somehow magically going to be money and support from Aprilia that isn't currently out there? The Moriwaki's have Honda supporting them, what about the Aprilia is going to get them to switch over?

We've been doing pretty good getting kids from minis to world championships over the years already so I'm not sure where we need a new idea but I am willing to listen.

14. Sean,

See above, and also talk with Evelyne, I just got an email from her on this, and sent her a clarification of the idea, and the plus points.

Frank

15. parillaguy

parillaguy vintage+GP racer

I can add some information that might be of help. In Canada, Honda imports a nice slow little 4 stroke street bike called the CBR125. There are 2 series up here for these bikes and they are geared toward kids. Neither series have huge grids but they are growing. The first year was rocky even with Honda support. The bikes cost $3500 or so and a race kit is another $1800 or so. Only race kit mods are allowed. The bike and kit are about what an Aprilia RS125 would cost. The biggest advantage the CBR125 series has is that after the bike has finished it's "racing life". It can go back onto the street as a street bike. The new racer can also ride it on the street for a few months before he/she decides to try racing. The class is bringing out more women beginner racers than any other class (other than when the women's cup was set up). That has to be good right!

16. Thats a cool idea, for sure. Except in America we cant make the Aprilia road legal, legally. Interesting to note that HONDA is the predominate small bike 4 stroke leader, yet all the years in the 125 class in the US I always heard others complain about the Honda Empire and how they were screwing up the GP community at world level. Seems no one is saying that now with the new Moto 2 Engine contract, or the Moriwaki Honda engined 125GP class replacement in the MDH250.

I guess people will always be loyal to the $$$, thats what makes america great.:bow: You can buy anyones name brand loyalty.:tut:But the Japanese have always known that I suppose.

17. Clay

Clay Well-Known Member

I think we're getting off topic there. Personally, I'll choose whatever bike best fits the given set of parameters. I like the idea of another 2s class, but it will take some real investment by the promoter.

18. SteveThompson

SteveThompson Banned by amafan

Do we need to re-hash this every year? Frank's series didn't work. Won't work this time either. The USGPRU has an amazing thing going. If you want to start a kid on a small two stroke, do it there. It only makes sense. Before that, there are lots of places where they can race minis.