1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2009 YZF-R6S...whats the point

Discussion in 'General' started by T-revs, Jun 6, 2008.

1. T-revs

T-revs Well-Known Member

I am not familiar with the yzf s family of Yamaha but why make two bikes that are almost identical?

The new 2009 YZF-R6S is out and it puts out 123hp according to the website and 15,500 redline. Sounds like a lot of ponies for a stock 600.

Is the S model supposed to be that much more comfortable... the riding position looks the same.

A lot of work to make two bikes when they could have just made one with an optional thicker seat:)

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/products/modelspeccompare/500/1751/0/compare.aspx

2. gixxerfever

gixxerfever Well-Known Member

the 09 "s" model seems to be the old 03-05ish model

3. ToddClark

ToddClark f'n know it all

the s model putting out 123hp? :crackup: yea, maybe at the crank.

4. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

Ths "S" is the same as the 03-04 model and is WAYYYY better as a street bike than the R6, which has no low end power.

The R6S ergo's are alot better to, the R6 is way more aggressive and geared for the track ALOT more than the 03-05 model ever was.

I expect the R6S will assume the roll the YZF-600R holds, eventually.

5. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

+1What he said. The "Yamaha" brand name is about all that is the same with these bikes (not literally but almost). These bikes are significantly different.

6. YZROOSTINYA

YZROOSTINYA Well-Known Member

its the 03/04 model with detuned cams and ECU box

Been around since 06

123 AT THE CRANK

7. Yama-saurus

Yama-saurus Well-Known Member

crank is correct, sir clark. and to add to the conversation about the r6s, price point unit vs. racey r6, the old yzf600r is dead, and tons of parts still left in japan...:crackup:

8. JamesG

JamesG Architeuthis dux

The YZF600R was discontinued this year. So from Yamaha's perspective, the R6S has replaced the YZF.

Sad really, :down:

9. lightningforce9

lightningforce9 RIP GaWarrior

that was my first bike...I miss that thing a bit...I still like my R6 more.

10. RacerRuss

RacerRuss Well-Known Member

And another difference

Apparently the rod bearings are much better in the R6S than in the newer R6 judging by the way the newer ones seem to be dropping this summer. They also don't explode like the Hindenburg during a lowside!!!!

The old one is a few ponies down in stock form to the new one.

11. Big Deezul

Big Deezul Gossamer has MOJO!!!

how can it be de-tuned and still make the same hp as the 03-04 model?

12. (diet)DrThunder

(diet)DrThunder Why so serious, son?

It's actually not an 03-04 model, it's an 05 model with right-side-up forks. It has the higher pressure fuel rail etc. that the 05 got.

13. Big Deezul

Big Deezul Gossamer has MOJO!!!

indeed....I think the euro model has the 05 forks though too

looks like Europe cut the S model

Last edited: Jun 9, 2008
  14. YZROOSTINYA

YZROOSTINYA Well-Known Member

you sure, the 05 model had 40mm throttle bodies, plus a differant frame. why would they beef up the frame then put back the standard forks. would that not mess up the handling?

cycleworld or somebody did a PCIII to it and they said it had a diff cdi from the 05 and more midrange cams??

15. (diet)DrThunder

I don't know every detail of it...I just asked the Yamaha rep guy about it back when the 06 models were announced and that's what he told me.

16. Nick_OMC

Nick_OMC Will crash your bike

Yeah the S model is a homogenized version of the 04 & 05. The S model does in fact have the 40mm TBs, high pressure fuel rail & ECU. If I am not mistaken, werent the USD forks on the 05 too rigid for the frame?

17. bluedevil

bluedevil Well-Known Member

I think for the street squidly's/ daily commuters to get a great bike and save some dough.. Lets face it.. do street bikes really need slippers, Inverted forks, and a piss winding top end? ehh not really... but U can still ride a great performing bike and save a buck to cruise the mall or get to work.....
    ????? Just guessin...

18. (diet)DrThunder

Never mind street squids. I guarantee you that if you put the fastest novice racer on a set up R6S he'd still win. That generation R6 is a great bike, and doesn't give much away to the newer stuff unless you're a very fast rider.

(IMO)