1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2006 GSXR 1000 Blowing ignition fuses...

Discussion in 'Tech' started by jasonhise, Sep 19, 2019.

1. jasonhise

jasonhise Well-Known Member

My 06 GSXR 1K has started blowing 10amp ignition fuses... Just dies when it happens obviously. No other issues noted. has left me stranded twice within the last 1.5 months... Any legitimate ideas where to start troubleshooting? R/R maybe? I have a new Mossfet R/R but don't want to start shot-gunning parts immediately. I presume something is grounding out somewhere...

2. CBR723

CBR723 Well-Known Member

First thing to look for is harness condition. Look for chaffing and or melted looking spots. If it happens while riding and not just turn on and poof it is probably rubbing some where.

jasonhise likes this.
  3. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

In fact, specifically check where the main harness goes past the frame neck. That is where it flexes the most, every time the bars are turned. If it has been apart some of the wiring may have been routed wrong and is getting pinched.

jasonhise likes this.
  4. jasonhise

Gentlemen, thank you both. I will dig into it tomorrow since it's the weekend. I did some looking at the wiring harness with the tank propped up and didn't see anything obvious. Tomorrow will be pulling the airbox off, tank off and looking more in-depth. Open to any other ideas as well, but think "kenessex" and "CBR723" are probably correct...

5. CBR723

CBR723 Well-Known Member

I don't have wiring diagram committed to memory but if you have manual follow the wire associated with that circuit. Look at right side switch harness and key switch harness where they are routed around steering head and see if they are secured correctly and or there is a pinch point when you turn bars side to side. But best bet is to have diagram and meter to check those wires for a break or continuity to ground.

jasonhise likes this.
  6. CBR723

CBR723 Well-Known Member

Was that frame replaced during suzuki recall? Could be something was pinched at the time.

7. jasonhise

No, all original just had the frame brace recall... Never even crashed... (knock on wood).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

K51000 likes this.
  8. CBR723

CBR723 Well-Known Member

That's recall I mean. It was replaced and brace added if it was cracked. If not cracked only the brace was added. I did two at dealer around 2009/10 area. Just a thought.

jasonhise likes this.
  9. jasonhise

OK, doing some in-depth wiring harness inspection led me to what could have been the culprit... Left side of frame right where the airbox sits, there was a spliced wire which had regular electrical tape barely covering it and a little bit of rub/wear on the frame. I also found a slightly worn wire (again with old electrical tape) where my rear brake pressure switch could have touched the rearset mounting bracket. And finally, my front brake (Brembo RCS switch) had two wires both snipped and twisted together that had bare ends which probably had nothing to do with it but are now capped with heat shrink as a precaution. Did a quick stint around the neighborhood without it dying so feeling better about it... @kenessex , you may have been correct...

I will update if my girl leaves me stranded again...

Steeltoe likes this.
  10. K51000

K51000 Well-Known Member

I like just reading about things like this, as I ride a K5 Liter. Spirited on the street, mostly out of town twisties, for now

11. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

What’s a K5 liter? Chevy Blazer?

:D

12. K51000

K51000 Well-Known Member

13. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

It was a joke. Hence the smiley at the bottom.